Homework!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Camel & Walrus, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Camel & Walrus

Camel & Walrus Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

How much homework do you implement? Vary by class ability or other factors?

3. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I try not to give a lot of hw, because many kids will not do it. I am teaching math this year and will be giving hw Mon-Thurs atleast 10-15 problems.

4. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 17, 2008

Math is the only subject in our 5th-8th well English also that has it most every night. I don't give it unless they do not finish an assignment.

5. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I have to give a pretty sizable amount of homework each night, otherwise we'll fall behind. But I give more homework to my AP Statistics and AP Calculus classes than my others.

6. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I teach Math & I give homework every night. I try not to pack it on so much - usually 2 easy, 2 medium, 2 hard and then a few review questions. we are required to spiral our homework assignments. I usually don't give more then 12 problems because the kids won't do it.

7. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I typically give homework M-Th. If it is textbook homework, I give 3-5 questions, where they are required to write the question and answer in complete sentences. If it is a worksheet, usually 10-20 questions. My hw really should not take longer than 10-15 minutes.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 18, 2008

I assign the amount of homework I feel gives the students the best chance of working through, and learning, the concepts. This will vary by topic. The point of homework in math is to give the students a chance to practice what they're learning. When I first present a topic, I don't expect that they'll be able to do everything perfectly the first night. I expect the homework to be where they find what they didn't understand in class (hence why I grade for completion only). I want homework to be a stress free affair that allows students to branch out on their own, with enough confidence to make mistakes and learn from them (which in my mind is the only way to learn math).

The amount I assign should take around 15-25 minutes, depending on the student. I tell students that if they're really struggling, and they've put 40 minutes or more into an assignment, then they can leave it at that. I also tell them that I can tell by the number of cross outs (and eraser evidence) if they're telling me the truth, though I have had students bring in crumpled and crossed out papers as "proof". I can usually tell in less than 30 seconds of talking to them wether or not they're telling the truth, since if they worked on it that long, they can at least describe (possibly in non-math terms) many of the problems.

Depending on the topic at hand, this can range from only a handful of problems, to 30-50 problems. I actually work out the assignment myself before I give it to the students and double to triple the time it took me to get an idea of what my good students will do. So, if it takes me 5 minutes to work out (and write out) a potential HW assignment, then I can expect my good students to do it in around 10-15 minutes and my weaker students 25-30, with the rest in the middle somewhere.

9. Camel & Walrus

Camel & Walrus Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

Thanks for the replies.

I try to keep my homework limited to what can be achieved in 20 minutes give or take but also change it up depending on what the subject and ideas are, eg: revision of some math problems will take less time than required chapter reading for social sciences or English.

10. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 18, 2008

I don't give nightly homework, but I do give weekly assignments that are of equivalent points. However, I think I might switch to shorter more frequent assignments. I teach 9th grade science.

11. Electron

Electron Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

I give either two or three assignments per week. I would have hated to have homework every night as a kid in school, yet weekly isn't quite enough for what I teach.

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 4, 2009

My AP students have 2 chapters due per week, which they have to both read and complete the accompanying assignments. My geometry class gets homework close to every night. My Western Civ Honors class gets homework 2-3 times a week.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2009

I give homework every night.

My kids know I have a 20 minute rule.
    After 20 minutes of doing your math homework, you're done.

If you're the only one who coudln't complete it, I expect to see you at extra help. If the majority had trouble, either it was too much or I have some re-teaching to do.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2009

My students have a standing homework assignment to review their vocabulary words for 2-3 minutes daily. That's the only regular homework they get.

Occasionally I'll have them do a larger assignment as homework, like a translation assignment. In that case, my policy is like Aliceacc's--they go for 30 minutes and then stop.

Next year I'm going to dump the translation homework assignments completely (due to copying....) and have them done entirely in class if I can manage to work that out. I'm not sure yet whether I'll replace those with some other type of homework to be done on a weekly or biweekly basis....I'm still deciding.

I don't feel like it's worth it to fight students to complete more homework than that. Many of my students have jobs or are responsible for taking care of their younger siblings--full-on care like making dinner, bathing, etc. (It's often because their parents work the second shift.) It doesn't seem fair to me to burden a student with all kinds of homework unless it's absolutely necessary--and of course sometimes it is. In general, though, I think home time is family time and should be devoted to family activities.

**AP classes are a different issue. AP students have to have homework (and usually a fair bit!) in order to keep pace with the curriculum. AP students just have to get over that fact and do their homework.

15. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 5, 2009

My music students' homework is to practice their songs. I give my more advanced students music theory worksheets due each Friday.

My psychology students having reading due each class, and two or three weekly discussion questions due on Fridays. Over the weekend I usually ask them to do a psychology experiment. They don't have to write up anything but they are expected to have something to discuss in class.

16. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 5, 2009

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Sometimes my A.P. Psychology students complain about the amount of reading I give them. I tell them they are the ones that signed up for an A.P. course. They made the commitment so they are expected to follow through.

17. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 5, 2009

These kids seem very similar to my APUSH kids. Luckily, we have only 4 chapters left in the book, so we will be done in 2 weeks!

18. Bubblehead

Bubblehead Rookie

Apr 6, 2009

We have a homework timetable for the kids. Each class is allocated days on which they can give homework and the students have a copy so there is no way we are going to give them too much. Generally Grade 6 gets 60mins, Grade 7 gets 90mins and Grade 8 gets 2 hours per night.

19. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Apr 6, 2009

We are encouraged by the administration not to give homework because a lot of the kids just don't do it and are happy to end up with a D at the end of the quarter.

20. larana

larana Rookie

Apr 11, 2009

I really dont think there should be a lot of homework sent home. The student is at school for seven hours a day or longer if they go to an afterschool program. They should be assign reading for thirty minutes and maybe their spelling word. The learning should be taugh in theclassroom. And always have weekend free.