Homework

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Deeena, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 15, 2007

What do you give for homework each night?

3. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Oct 15, 2007

In our district students are expected to read for 20 minutes and write in a reflective jopurnal for 10 minutes Mon-Thurs.

I like the policy. First of all, I can provide the time for instruction and practice in the classroom. Secondly, many parents in our district lack the time and/or education to help their children with work that reflects our class lessons. Einally, if students become good readers, through practice, all other subjects will fall into place.

Hoestly, I also appreciate not having homework to grade as well. In fact, much of what my grades are based on is test scores. I do not collect a lot of classwork that gets a grade and homework is not allowed to be used for grading purposes.

I have the students write in a spiral notebook which I collect every other Friday and write notes in before i return it..

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 16, 2007

My kids have homework every night, sometimes it's just studying. Because I give tests on my dailies every day, there's always something to go over. The written portion is usually finishing work not finished in class. Every once in a while I'll give homework specifically for homework. Last week they had a worksheet that they worked part of each night for 3 days. It was practicing mean, median, mode, and range. That gives them a chance to practice outside of class (and allows parents to see what we are doing.)

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2007

Usually it's tic tac toe spelling, math, and reading for book report.

6. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Oct 16, 2007

My teammate and I give quite a bit of homework... math 3-4 days a week, science/social studies 2x/week and reading 2-3 x/week. However I typically allow students time to begin assignments in class and now that they've adjusted to the pace and rigor of fifth grade, most of them don't have more than 15-30 minutes of homework each night.

7. Peyton

Peyton Rookie

Oct 23, 2007

My colleagues and I assign math (review of daily lesson), spelling (worksheet, e.g. sentences, root words, suffixes/prefixes, idioms), and reading 20-30 min./night. For reading, I use the small leveled readers from Houghton Mifflin, and on Monday, I assign each of my 3 groups a different book, and they get an accompanying homework sheet that has 1-2 CMT question strands on it to go with each night's reading. They write their responses in a reading homework journal. I collect them on Friday's and grade over the weekend. For correcting, I try to keep up with it every day during a planning period, but sometimes it's tough, and it can be overwhelming at times. I limit the math problems to even or odd numbers only.

8. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Oct 24, 2007

Since my kids have never had to do homework before the 5th grade (the teachers in the other grades have been there a long time and don't see the need for it), I try not to assign too much since they're not used to doing it. Studies have shown that your students should have 10 minutes of homework for every year they are in school so 5th graders should have between 50-60 minutes a night. I usually give them one assignment and reading. They have to read 120 minutes a week. Usually it's Math 2-3x week and something for science or social studies the other days, but I usually don't assign homework on Fridays. They also have monthly book reports due on the last day of each month.

9. BabyMakes3

BabyMakes3 Rookie

Oct 29, 2007

My kids are to read 20 minutes every night and record it in their reading log. They also typically get math practice page M-Th but I almost never grade it - it's practice. Some other stuff may go home, but that is usually b/c we run short on time in class. We are only able to have 30 minutes a day of science, so there sometimes need to send stuff home.

10. Amers

Amers Cohort

Oct 29, 2007

My kids read 15 minutes every night. They also have some sort of spelling assignment and math. They'll usually have science or social studies once a week or a misc. worksheet once a week. The last time I surveyed the class, they said it takes about 20-30 minutes to complete plus the reading.

11. IRAEnglishT-chr

IRAEnglishT-chr Rookie

Nov 1, 2007

I don't regularly assign homework for two reasons: I have no way of knowing if the kids are doing the work or the parents are doing it PLUS my kids are very busy in the evenings with sports, ballet, etc. They do read 20 minutes a night and record it in a reading log that they bring back each month in order to participate in a Reading Reward Movie Day. They must take all unfinished work home to finish, study for tests, and do one big project each six weeks (the first six weeks was a Leaf Identification Notebook and this six weeks was Assignment: Mexico) at home. I do give homework on Fridays, but the kids who have kept all their behavior tickets for the whole week get a No Homework Pass.

A few of my lower level kids barely get all their assignments in as it is, so I can't justify sending busy work home with them, too. My upper level kids don't really need extra practice, as they get plenty of practice in class while they are waiting for the lower level kids to "get it!" Is there anyone else who hates homework??:whistle:

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2007

I do but when I argued a long time ago about not wanting to give homework, errrr, I was not supported . :whistle: I do assign homework mainly because we just seem to run out of time. Whatever doesn't get done in class becomes homework. They also have a fun monthly book report and a weekly spelling tic tac toe activity.

Oh, could you explain the beheavior tickets please.

13. Amers

Amers Cohort

Nov 1, 2007

I need to give homework. My students really need all the practice they can get, and there just isn't enough time in the day to get it all done at school. I also like to think that it helps teach them responsibility and time management.....in a perfect world at least. :rolleyes:

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 9, 2007

It varies but they usually have math every night, English at least a few times a week, books to read for book reports, vocabulary or spelling words to study, or tests to study for. It sounds like a lot, but I never give more than about 30-40 minutes of work if I can help it. On rare occasions I'll have to give more work just so we can get caught up (a huge snowstorm last year prompted this) but I always give them a lot of work time in the classroom so there isn't as much to take home provided they use their time well.

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2007

It seems that the amount varies from year to year depending upon what they need. This year, my students read constantly, so I don't require reading at home. But last year the kids needed to practice reading.

Usually it's work that hasn't been finished in class, some math practice with a difficult concept once in awhile, taking their writing rough drafts home for parent input, or "studying" for an upcoming test. Whatever is needed, and no pattern to the homework.

However, I do believe that starting in January, they are going to get three word problems a night, Monday through Thursday. They don't seem to be comfortable with them, and the new state test in math is loaded with word problems and applications.

This year's problem seems to be understanding how to solve word problems.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 8, 2007

We give some kind of spelling practice every night. Then we give math practice worksheets twice a week. Occasionally we have a grammar worksheet of some kind. One child in our class gets pulled out all the time so the mom has requested that her catch up folder get sent home everyday because she doesn't have the time to work on it during school hours. Most students put their unfinished work in their unfinished folders and they can work on it if they finish something faster or during the pull out block time if they aren't being pulled out.