Homework

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Love5th, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Love5th

Love5th New Member

Aug 4, 2007

Hi! I am new to the boards. I have a question for you. I am currently adding Writing. I was just the Reading/Spelling teacher in a 3 way switch, so now I will completely have the whole Language Arts block...my question is, how much homework are you giving for these subjects? I was thinking about daily hw in writing practice (Mon-Monday Mail, Tues-Journal topic, Wed-Free Journal, Thurs-Reader Response to their Reading assignments so I know they read for the week).

I was going to give Grammar sheets 2x a week, Skills Practice 2x a week. I don't know if this is going to be so much. I would love to add a couple of spelling assignments, but don't know if I should let it be up to them to study as spelling unfortunately is not emphasized in my school. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

3. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2007

When we first started a departmentalized 5th grade, we ended up giving way too much homework because we weren't checking with each other enough.

4. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

yes, definitely check with your teammates... if everyone else gives lots of daily homework too i'm sure the parents will have a fit...

5. kermy

kermy Companion

Aug 8, 2007

you could have one topic for HW for the week and they have to turn it in on fri. It doesn't have to be different topics, but maybe one and write page about it.

6. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

How much practice do the kids get for writing during the school day? I know even in second I feel like they write A LOT and get so much practice at school! My fifth grader never had writing homework unless he was finishing an assignment or doing a project. It might be better to focus on grammar and spelling!