Homework

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Elcsmith, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Jun 9, 2007

One of my biggest weaknesses as a teacher is following up on homework. Next year I'll be teaching 1st grade so it won't be as big of an issue but I need a system. I want a way to know without sorting through papers, who has done their homework.
    What are some of the homework systems you use? Something I'm considering for next year is using one of those hanging shoe pocket things. Each student would have a pocket to put their homework in and I could just look up and see who doesn't have it. What do you think?

3. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jun 9, 2007

I have students go to their desks, which are in pods, and they make a pile of their homework right in the middle. I walk around and collect it while they do their a.m. work. It helps me to see who hasn't done it. Those who don't turn it in do it when we start centers later in the day. I do not allow the kids to talk to me or to each other during this time so it only takes a few minutes.

On other assignments, I have manilla folders that I staple a copy of what assignment should go in there and I clip them to the board. I post a class list next to it and they use a highlighter to mark off their names when they turn it in. This especially works great with long term assignments and it is so easy to grab the pack to grade!

4. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jun 9, 2007

I send a homework packet home on Mondays and ask that it be returned on Fridays (and not before!) On Friday mornings, as the kids write in their journals, I call them up to me one at a time and check that the work is done (I don't check for correctness because some parents help a lot and others don't). It's a few minutes of 'special time' that I get to spend with each child--as I'm checking, I usually ask them if the work was easy or who helped them or about their weekend plans, etc. And, the most beautiful part of all...before they go back to their seats, I hand them their homework packet and they put it in their folder!

5. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 10, 2007

My kids will be older (5th graders), but I am handing off the job of checking to see if homework is handed in to the kids. I will have an "Administrative Assistant" and their job will be to check off homework each morning. I plan to have a file box with hanging files, numbered, and as kids get settled in the morning and turn in morning work, they can file their homework accordingly. Then, my Administrative Assistant will look through the files to see who has handed it in. Using a memo pad (the duplicate kind), the AA will record a message for the student(s) missing work with the student name, the date, the assignment and their signature. The student missing the work receives the top copy, and the duplicate will remain in the memo pad for my reference. Then, students will use their time to complete the homework they did not do the night before (i.e. during recess). Again, these guys are older, and so I intend on homework being more of a review of the day for my kids, and I will count it as a daily grade. Those are my plans, at least...we'll see how it goes! :)

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 10, 2007

By just looking to see if homework is there it doesn't mean that all of it is completed or that it is completed correctly. I've had parents or sibling do homework for a student and by just looking to see if homework was there, I would have missed it.

I give out homework on Mondays and students return it on Friday. I sit at a table on Friday mornings and my students line up as soon as they arrive (after they hang up jackets/book bags...). My students get "free choice" centers on Fridays for 30 minutes. No homework = no free choice centers. Incomplete homework = finish work (it can only be done during free choice time- I collect it in the AM to make sure they don't complete it during class time) and if they finish it they can join the students during free choice time.

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 10, 2007

I'm still changing my homework routine. Last year I gave daily homework and walked around and checked homework. I just looked at the worksheet and the reading log and put a star on it, and I carried around a class list on a clip board. I put a check if they had both, N if they had nothing, R if they didn't have their reading log, or H if they didn't have their homework. I'd give them their homework and then they'd finish it right then. Now, it didn't take much time to do this, but every minute counts during the day. I am thinking about doing a homework packet next year, so I will only have to check homework Fridays. I haven't decided yet.... so I'm interested to see what you guys do.

8. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jun 10, 2007

I do monthly homework. They kids get a list of assignments on the 1st and return all work on the 31st. They are all things that can be completed on regular paper - NO copies! Woo hoo!

I give kids spiral notebooks who don't have paper at home.

I just have one day a month to read homework. I love it because it's less "paper shuffling" for me. The parents have loved it because they can do the assignments when they fit into their lives.

Kelly :)

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 10, 2007

Could you tell me more about the activities you put on your calendar? What do the kids turn in? I love that idea. No copies!!

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 10, 2007

11. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jun 10, 2007

If you go to my website in my profile and click on monthly themes, they are all there for use!

Kelly :)

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2007

I LOVE this idea. I've done this before in kinder, then I switched over to weekly packets only due to the type of class that I had. But, if I was to teach kinder again, this is what I would do. Hmmmmm... any monthly homework calendar for 5th grade??

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 10, 2007

I'm not sure Kelly's idea would work for 5th grade, Peachyness. I teach fourth and my homework is mostly spelling and review of current math material. But if you try it, let me know how it goes!

14. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Jun 10, 2007

Those are all GREAT ideas! I think I'll try the weekly packet. I also love that you thought about how to fit homework into their lives. Thanks so much.

15. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jun 10, 2007

That is exactly how I do it as well. I leaf through the packet, make sure each page is complete and then they either get to participate in Friday Fun Centers or not. I don't allow them to call home if it is forgotten either.

16. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

I've gotten a lot of "Thank Yous" from parents who appreciate getting a packet of homework on Mon and turn it in Fri. That way, if Wednesday night is busy with soccer, ballet, taking the dog to the vet, etc. they can plan to skip homework on Wednesday and do it another night instead. I used to put a page on the front where it had a checklist of everything in the packet and Monday-Thursday spaces to write their homework "plan". The kids really liked this, but then our copy budget went way down and that part had to go.