Homework ?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teacher Chele, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 18, 2013

How do you do your homework? Every night, packet, other? How do you communicate the hw assignments to the parents? I teach 2nd and am looking for ideas. TIA!!!!

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 18, 2013

In 1st grade, I always did a weekly packet. I am moving to 3rd grade this year, and the other 3rd grade teacher and I haven't decided yet, lol. I'm thinking that I will continue to do weekly packets... in many ways, it makes things MUCH easier on me!

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 18, 2013

I teach 4th grade, but taught 3rd grade for 10 years. Our first- and second-grade teachers used packets. As a 3rd grade team, we decided to do nightly homework, to help transition the students to Grade 4.

As a 4th grade teacher, we do nightly homework (Mon. thru Thurs.) and some long-term projects (book reports, etc.) throughout the year.

5. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 18, 2013

My school (K-2) does not do traditional homework. We have students read for 15 minutes a night and practice math facts for about 5 - 10 minutes a night.

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2013

Weekly homework sheet with assignments/reminders on it.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2013

I like this. :)

8. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 18, 2013

We do a weekly packet, and it is kept in a binder behind a tab called homework. The assignments are all spiral reviews of skills, and the format is the same every week. Consistency helps the parents know what to look for.

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 18, 2013

Read for at least 30 minutes a night which is tied to AR quizzes to monitor and give feedback. Nothing else.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2013

I had them read every night and respond in their RRJ (Reading Response Journal). The questions were similar to what they'd see on a TRC (similar to a DRA).
    Maybe 2-3 weeks per month they would get a math sheet on Monday that was due by Friday.

11. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 18, 2013

I nightly homework and have them read each night. That is what most of the teachers at my school do also.

12. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 18, 2013

Thanks! :) I'm pretty happy with our system. I think it takes some stress off the kiddos and parents too.

13. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 18, 2013

We do nightly homework Monday through Thursday. The reading teacher and I get together to fill out our homework sheet each week, so I try to plan my math homework around hers. I don't want the students to have any more than 30 minutes of homework on any one night. As a parent I know how hard it is trying to get homework, ball practice, church activities etc. in during the week. And also have some time to relax as a family.

We have some parents who don't want any homework and some parents who say we don't send enough.

14. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 18, 2013

Quoted for truth

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2013

I send a homework calendar every week inside their homework folder. However, the homework I send nightly, so they don´t actually get it all at one time.

16. raxyakunwar

raxyakunwar Rookie

Jul 19, 2013

i complete my homework late night and leave time for study during early morning

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2013

I find that homework is one of those controversial topics, in a way. It´s hard to please everyone. Some parents want more, some think their child has too much. I just give my students reading and math, and make it so it takes them about 10 minutes to complete.

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 19, 2013

Because I'm moving from 1st to 3rd at the same school, I will have many of the same students as I did 2 years ago. I already know that many of them are already expecting a rigorous year, both at school and at home (especially since so many in our class will be below level, and we are expected to be on level with CCSS by year-end). As I said before, in 1st I did weekly homework packets, and many of the parents (and our after school tutoring teachers) loved it. The 2nd grade teachers loved it because the kids coming from my class already knew how to keep up with things and remember to bring them in on the due date. I was very comfortable with this system.

Now that I'll be teaching third, I have no materials :)eek:), so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed!

19. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

I teach second grade and my kids are expected to read 15 minutes each evening, study math facts, and study spelling words. I rarely give other homework. I've found that the kids who need help from parents don't get it and some of the ones who don't really need help have their parents do it for them. Homework is not a good assessment tool and it is more a hassle than it's worth (to me). Occasionally I do send home "family projects," but the assessment comes in during their presentation (listening/speaking).

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2013

Can you explain your hw packet with a little more detail? Was there something due from the hw packet everyday, or was the entire packet due on a certain day?

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2013

Homework packets were sent home on Friday (or the last day of the week), and were due back in class first thing Thursday morning (to give me time to get the next batch ready). Conduct was a separate folder that went home Monday - Thursday. Most of my parents REALLY liked it, because it was teaching their kids to be responsible for something for longer than 5 seconds. I'm considering moving to a combination homework/conduct binder for third graders, and implementing a weekly homework calendar.

In my first grade packets, there were:

Weekly Newsletter
    Printed copies of all of our weekly stories (comprehension, decodables, etc.)
    Flash cards for spelling, sight, and vocabulary words (printed on regular paper for the kiddos to cut out at home)
    A spelling tic-tac-toe
    HFW practice sheet
    Math practice pages
    etc.

It seemed like a lot more than it was, because I was printing out so much for the kids like the stories, because we can't send the books home.

Another nice benefit of my weekly packets is that I provided a copy to our after school tutoring teacher for 1st grade, so she could work with the kiddos on stuff they actually needed that week (and no one could say "I don't have any homework," lol!).

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2013

:help:
    I like this. I might think about doing something like that for this next school year. I might have to tweak it though. We are not allowed to give hw over the weekend, so I might just send it on Monday. Also, I send unfinished work home in hw folders so I am not sure how I would work that if their hw folder stayed at home during the week.