Homework??

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by lafogosa, Jan 3, 2012.

1. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Jan 3, 2012

Hi there! I have decided to eliminate assigning homework. I have offered parents the option to contact me if they would like to know the standards we are working on, but I will not be sending home specific assignments.

Is anyone else a homework-free class?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2012

Our district policy requires 20 minutes of reading each night as a minimum.

4. Gareth

Gareth Rookie

Jan 28, 2012

We also have a policy of 30 mins homework a night, but for the younger grades they just need to read with their parents.

5. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jan 31, 2012

They do have a Bible verse, spelling words, sight/high frequency words list, phonics charts and math facts sheet they are encouraged to review every day. I also assign reading homework (from their reading group readers) 1-2 times per week & at least 1 spelling words assignment per week ie., rainbow write the words, copy 2 times, etc. We do other activities in class with spelling words throughout the week.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 7, 2012

I don't assign homework. I encourage parents to help their child practice sight words and do home reading. But, I think this happens sporadically at best. Mainly, I want the kids to go home and be kids - play, eat supper with their family and relax.

7. juli233

juli233 Companion

Feb 19, 2012

me too!

we make a lot of class books so we do send home a class book or leveled book each day but that's it

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2012

If I don't assign homework, the tiger moms complain. If I do assign homework, the helicopter moms complain. Then there are the soccer moms who only complain about homework on Mondays, Wednesdays, and weekends.

Of late, I have discovered a few "dodgeball moms" who generally agree with whatever I do because "I'm the teacher and I make the rules." If I don't give homework, they make the kids re-do their homework from the day before or just make them run laps in the backyard. I like dodgeball moms.

9. jeeskenj

jeeskenj Rookie

Feb 28, 2012

i....

The only homework my students have is a fluency reading book and log. They must read the book each night and the parent "grades" them on it, on Thursday evening they do a writing assignment with it- the W questions, Beg. Mid. End, or something of that nature and turn it in of Friday.

They should practice their spelling and sight words and Bible verse for the week but that is just a given.

My philosophy is that in 1st grade they need to go home and burn off all of their energy so they can SIT for me the next day on class. :rolleyes:

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2012

So they have reading, spelling, and writing.

I agree that the kids should not be bombarded with piles of homework. It really bothers me when teachers assign "busy work" as homework. I have a daughter in the 4th grade and her hw in the past has been rediculous in the amount of time it takes to complete it. We did a hw survey this year, and talked about it in our meetings, so it is more bearable, but who knows for how long. Most of the teachers at this school are single, so they don't really understand how busy family life is, and that a family needs time together to do something other than homework.