Homework

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by pink, Jul 28, 2011.

1. pink

pink Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

Do you send home homework for your students to complete?

I work for our county preschool special needs program and I will be working in a district I haven't worked in before (in Ohio we have many districts within the county rather than a county-wide district like I know some other states have). Another teacher who works in that district told me that she sends home a worksheet every week for the parents to do with their child. She said that they can do it if they want and send it back if they want, but it's up to them, and parents in that district expect it. I really respect this teacher and we share very similar educational philosophies.

I'm all for educating parents on best practice, but on the other hand I don't want to cause any problems or jeopardize my relationship with the district (since I am not directly employed by them). I would like to give parents something to work on at home with their child, but I'd like it to be as developmentally appropriate as possible and low maintenance for me.

So, after my really long explanation of WHY I'm asking the question, can you tell me about homework you send home with your students? Or, if you know of any links, I welcome them!

Thanks! I hope I'm not over-posting! I used to frequent this board 5 or 6 years ago under a different name (that foolishly included my real name) and I needed a new one for some anonymity!

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2011

Funny you should ask this today because a blog I follow just posted this calendar today with activities parents can do with kids:

http://www.teachpreschool.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Learning-Begins-At-Home-September1.pdf

No, I don't believe in real homework for preschoolers but some parents will take advantage of ideas you give them for play/work with their child. Some teachers might also do reading logs and give kids a prize for turning it in - I tried it but it was just one more thing to keep track of.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 28, 2011

I don't believe in homework either, however, I do send out a lot of work for the children to "read to parents" or recipes for the parents to try. Things that are activities rather than assignments. I also use it advertise learning opportunities in the community.

5. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 29, 2011

I send a monthly "family home project" home every month and DO expect that back.
    (I teach 3's in a private preschool)

If they missed that day, I do send any "work" they might have missed to help ensure that they get it, but I rarely get those back so i just don't expect it. (I really mainly do that so the parent can see that their kid is missing stuff when they don't come. ~ IT never failss we will be working HARD on scissor skills or handwriting and the parents decide to take two days in the middle fo the week to go to the zoo. I get it I do, but it still irks me LOL)

6. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jul 29, 2011

I don't send home what I call homework, but I do suggest things they can do at home in the weekly newsletter. I also have a class library the kids can take a book home to read. Later in the year I start Literacy bags. They are a canvas bag with a book and some activities in the bag that they can do over the weeks time. They bring it back and they can get another one. The Parents love it. The activities are not too hard, but educational. When I taught Preschool 10 years ago the Preschool co-op was just starting to make these. I had 10-12 of them then. I have over 50 bags now. It is a lot of work to get started, but I think it is worth it. Do I have some parents that don't do it? Yes

7. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 29, 2011

Speaking of reading ~ we are going to have a class "read at home" goal ... that will lead to something ~ A popcorn party or something of that nature.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

What would you do if a child didn't participate? I hope you wouldn't exclude them.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

Remember they are little and their main goals should be playing, building relationships and experiencing the world. Preschool is a pretty unnatural environment, in my opinion, and we need to remind ourselves of that, and try to create a more natural, nurturing environment. I am not being critical - just trying to say that I think the early education community sometimes forgets and turns too school-like. They will have plenty of time for that. My philosophy may be a bit "radical" in this age of testing but I think it is an important discussion.

10. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 29, 2011

I NEVER exclude anyone ~ it is a group goal with a group reward.:wub:

11. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 29, 2011

I agree that we sometimes get too "school focused" and if my post made me sound like a preschool nazi let me assure you I am more playbased learning then your typical preschool teacher. The parents I am referring to ~ are usually the ones who complain that their kids aren't "bringing enough work home"...yet they are the ones who are never there when we actually DO do something that would go home. :dizzy:

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

I know what you mean - some parents make you feel they are prepping for college already - whether their kid is potty trained or not!:lol:

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

The parents that let the work pile up in the boxes like magic faries will take it all home......they grate on me!

I also have been known to write summary notes on the paintings and what not that go home to explain what we are learning......I am sure they don't get read.

14. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

In the past I have worked at schools where we were required to send out homework. I sent home a monthly calendar with things like: find six blues things in your house, play “I spy” with letters while driving in the car, read a story with someone (2x a week on every month), sing a song you learned at school, draw a picture of the people in your family, compare your shoes to someone else’s, make a pattern with silverware, match up socks, jump forward 10 times, take 5 big steps and 5 small steps, sort your books by size, count the windows in your house, think of 2 words that rhyme with cat.

I didn’t put dates on the calendar just these two directions: Please color in each square as you complete the activity as you complete it. The completed homework calendar is due the last Friday of the month!

15. pink

pink Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

This is actually, exactly what I was thinking about doing! The only thing I was thinking about doing differently is dividing each box in half and putting "Read a book with someone" everyday. I'll make it optional, but maybe I'll give them a sticker on their paper if they return it, finished or not.

16. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 3, 2011

I sent home calendars like that over the summer. No idea how many of my families are taking advantage of it (and I only have 3 of the same kids this year), but at least it had ideas for something other than "watch cartoon and play Wii."

I need to do parent involvement activities this year because I'm being grant-funded. I know it's important, but not something that's easily worked into my class in the past. I do have single-parent families who work, so I want to do some involvement things that don't require them to take off work to physically be in school. I want ot send home "Family homework" projects occasionally to encourage parents to be creative with their kids.

Other than that, my newsletters contain ideas of things to do at home... for instance, when we're studying transportation, my newsletter said things like "count how many different kinds of transportation you see." and "find 5 blue cars" and "find a stop sign. How many sides does it have?" Again, I don't know if it gets done, but hopefully it gives parents ideas.