Homework

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by VANewbie, May 18, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 18, 2011

I would like to do homework differently next year. This year I basically try to give things that are of course review. I try to give something math on monday, tuesday writing, wed reading comprehension, etc

I feel I could do something better next year. I have noticed that my third grade team gives homework in a packet that is due each Friday. I guess this is pretty much what I do but I do not put it in a packet and it is due the following day.

I have noticed some teams send a monthly homework chart home and it is things that they can do but they do not have to make copies.
    For example:
    Find five nouns in your house.

I just know I want to do something different but I do not know what. Many of my students this year do not even do their homework and I am constantly making copies.
    I guess I am also wondering if what I am doing is meaningful?

What do you do?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 18, 2011

Practice math facts or counting, reading or listen to reading, and journal writing....at least when I taught younger students.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 18, 2011

Yes and see I like all of that but then I feel like I need an accountability piece. Maybe a parents signature but some of my students do their homework at afterschool daycare and others do not see their parents afterschool so idk.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 18, 2011

Most of our teachers give weekly packets that are due at the end of the week. For things like "read 20 minutes" or "practice spelling" they have to get a signature. If they go to our afterschool program, babysitter, or whatever, the teacher/caregiver can sign the paper instead of the parent. I often signed off on kids' homework in the afterschool program. In college I volunteered at a shelter and often helped kids with homework and signed off on their homework for their schools.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 19, 2011

I just tell them their homework has to be signed by someone who can drive and write in cursive.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 19, 2011

We use a parent signature, but any adult at an afterschool program can sign or a babysitter can sign.

Something else you could do is have the students write their spelling words in creative ways or make a picture of what they read.