Homework?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by halpey1, Aug 28, 2010.

1. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 28, 2010

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 28, 2010

Interesting. I agree and disagree with you. I think there is a need to have students practice at home, however, they are little sponges. I do assign meaningful homework each week. Parents can decided if they want to assist their children in getting the assignments done. I never check to see who turn in work or who didn't. I tell parents if it is a battle, it isn't worth fighting. But I do remind them they are establishing life long habits now. Although we are "just kindergarten" they are establishing life long habits.

I do have many assignments throughout the month that are game like events that remind parents to play with their children! They are kids and they do need a break.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 28, 2010

I agree with you Halpey. I think we do treat even Kinders like all other grades, yet we are still considered early childhood. It's a requirement at our school that all teachers send homework. I send a worksheet for reading and one for math that correlates to what I want them to review. Different homework for different kids.

I will ask them about it if it's not done, but there are no penalties or anything. Many of my kids go to the YMCA after school for daycare or play in little league, take dance classes. I really don't want to put any more pressure on them than is necessary. I also record stories for them and send it home for them to listen to-especially those struggling readers-so it's not always just paperwork-who likes to do that? ;)

p.s. I really admire how faithful you are about updating your blog. Mine is like over a month behind now. :eek:

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 28, 2010

A lot of my students want homework and are excited about it. I usually send home family projects, decorate a butterfly with things that are important to you and your family. I do ask parents to read to their children nightly for at least 20 mins.
    I send home math links, and a similar paper for literacy. The literacy gives ideas on games they can play at home to reinforce what we are learning at school. I do not expect the papers back. The butterfly I hope most will bring back it's nice to share. I also at the beg. of the year send home a Mystery Bag Letter. The first week it could be Letter F. They need to bring in something that starts with F. Parents help write clues on the bag.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 28, 2010

I completely agree with you. I just ask parents to read to their children, and occasionally I will send home a family project.

7. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Aug 28, 2010

In my school the parents will tattle on me if I dont send home homework EVERYNIGHT! I told them one monday the copier was broke and it would be out the following day and was in the P's office because parents complained. Oddly enough the ones who yell the loudest never have their kid turn in a paper.

(On and different note, my grade level partner and I send home the same homework each week (we do weekly packets) and I was hauled into the P's office by a fruit cake parent and she told me how great the other class was and how their homework is more aligned to the learning and more challenging. I turned to the P and said well that is the packet I put together for the classes this week. Said parent looked like an idiot.)