homework...

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Miss E., Aug 12, 2010.

1. Miss E.

Miss E. Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

as school gets closer, I am getting nervous to start out this year- new to the grade level and am trying to get all the housekeeping in order. how do you keep track of homework in fifth grade? what if they do not do it? do you score it and keep grades, etc...THANKS!

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 12, 2010

I use homework packets. If the kids don't do the homework then I knock their final grade down 1 whole grade. I collect the homework on Fridays. I return the packets on Mondays.

4. crayoncaper

crayoncaper Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

Each student starts out with a homework grade of 100. If they miss an assignment, it is an X in the gradebook and subtracts 5 points from their homework grade. At the end of the 9 weeks, I average that grade in with all the others.

5. kapdel

kapdel Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

For me, I find it easier (and more useful for my end game) to give out daily homework. Each morning, when the students come in, they put their homework folder in the HW Bin. I collect the folders, and simply check in the work (I don't see if it is correct or not, just done) I then give the HW back to the students when we correct it (comprehension corrected during LA and math corrected during math)

If a student didn't do their homework, they usually are benched at recess to complete it (I know some schools do not allow this, but mine does...so that is what I do)

Honestly, because we are going over the homework daily, and it is such an integral part of the daily schedule, I have very few kids who don't do their homework.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2010

The only homework my kids have is what is not finished in class. Most kids don't take home anything- they just have to read and study.
    I do grade the work they take home. However, in math, if there is no work (hello calculator), I take off 30 points! ALL work must be shown! I am a stickler! If an assignment comes back with different handwriting, they get to redo it before school the next morning. If it is written using words they do not know (this is common with projects), I deduct 5 points per word (I ask them what it means and they can't tell me).

(Side note- we did a weather project and a lot of kids chose tornado- if I heard the word 'duh-briss' one more time, I was going to hurt someone. They were all trying to say 'debris'.)

7. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 14, 2010

Generally the only hw my students have is spelling and finishing the math lesson from the day. If it's late, they lose a letter grade. On Monday, I send home a list of late work from the week before. I ask that parents sign the sheet. That work is due on Tuesday or they receive a zero. Long term assignments (i.e. monthly book reports) may not be turned in late- automatic zero.

8. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

I have a checklist. I do a quick check by checking off their name on a checklist. I then know whose homework is missing. My homework consists of what the students don't get finished in class during the day. I also require students to show all work on math.

9. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Aug 15, 2010

My school requires one hour of homework per night for fifth grade. The kids usually get a math box, 20 minutes of reading and a spelling assignment. If they don't do it they do it at recess. We do not give grades for anything (we are standards- based) so I correct it to see who might need additional instruction but I don't grade it. I teach the students on day one how to set out the homework on their desk each morning for check-in. It takes about 5 minutes.

10. Miss E.

Miss E. Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

stevesgirl-wht is your check in procedure? just a check mark for each subject or or what? we are standard based too for the most part and homework is required as well-i dont want to give it a grade because its not fair if parents help some and dont help others...

11. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

I gave out a homework sheet on Saturday each week (we have school on Saturdays but not Fridays) that had all of the next week's classwork/homework (homework is just unfinished classwork). If a student completed all of the homework for any given night Monday-Thursday, he/she could play Homeworkopoly that morning and possibly earn an incentive (5 extra points on a quiz, sitting at the teacher's desk for a day, etc.). If a student did not complete the homework for that night, he/she was not penalized. I had two homework helpers that checked the homework for completion each morning and ran the homeworkopoly game for students who completed everything. Then on Saturdays, all the homework was due for the entire week. I chose 1-3 assignments per subject to grade (students were unaware of which assignments would be graded). We didn't play homeworkopoly on Saturdays since all the homework was due. Hope that makes sense!

12. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Aug 23, 2010

Miss E - I have a grade book set up just for homework purposes, one page for each day. I only check off those who are missing assignments, and the way I model how to place work on their desk in the morning allows me to quickly see when I walk past his/her desk what is missing. Later in the day I enter the missing assignments into Snapgrades - this may seem redundant, but it allows parents to go online any time and see what assignments, if any, their child is missing.

13. small_fry

small_fry New Member

Jul 15, 2011

4inteacher, what does your Homeworkopoly game look like?

14. juliechsa

juliechsa Rookie

Jul 18, 2011

We give letter grades and have an online gradebook at my school - very middle school-ish. We collect homework in the class that it was assigned. If it is not done, students lose 10% of their score. They have one week to turn it in, then it becomes a zero. In reality, I give them two weeks but don't tell them that.

I score using percentages and that's what goes in the gradebook. I have students pass in their papers after grading passing right to left and then I just walk along the last row to pick up the papers - less chaos that way. Our gradebook lets us print out "missing work" lists and I try to do that at least twice a week to give to the students as a reminder.

15. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2011

Good question about homework. If you allow students not to do their homework, I guarantee some 5th graders will choose this option. I require each child to do their homework each week night. This is actually 4 nights as I don't give homework on the weekends. If a child doesn't do homework, he/she stays after school for 1 hour to do their homework. As my principal backs me 100% on this--this system works well. Without her backing, it would fail, and I wouldn't even try to use it. All parents know of this policy and missing homework doesn't happen much. Also, if they miss it, they are responsible for still turning it in. I don't allow any child to miss any homework assignments. For serious situations, illness, funerals, I extend the time they have to complete assignments. Have I ever made an exception?--yes, but it is very rare and done only in extreme situations where common sense needs to trump the rule.

If you think an hour is too strict than come up with something less severe. As long as you are consistent and don't let any homework go undone--students will get it done. Otherwise, expect a lot of missing homework by the time November rolls around. If you only lower their grade or give zero's, students will see it is an option to not do homework, if they don't care much about grades.

Lastly, the homework I give is always practice on something they've been taught in class. This is often 2 of these 4 areas (math, grammar, spelling, and vocabulary.) The total amount of time to complete the homework I give out is usually between 45-60 minutes.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Kevin

16. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

Jealous!

17. carrieSAtoUSA

carrieSAtoUSA Rookie

Jul 21, 2011

That's an EXCELLENT idea! I never thought of doing that. I used to give them a 0 if homework wasn't handed in, but I do prefer taking it away from 100!

18. teachingfran

teachingfran Rookie

Jan 16, 2012

I have tried many things but since we have dedicated recess time I now collect the homework individually and mark a grid. When recess time comes around if they haven't completed it, NO RECESS. If it continues to be missing they continue to have no recess. They are turning in more homework than ever now! BUT NOW all the grading! :( I think we might go to grading it in class! :) How long does that usually take you?