Homework

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by bam451, Jul 28, 2005.

1. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

I am looking to see how all of you check homework. Do you just check for completion or do you actually collect it to look at it? Last year I called the students up to my desk and I checked their folders individually for their homework. If there homework was done I stamped their assignment notebook. I have realized that this is taking up more time than I would like.
    I'd love to hear what all of you do!! :)

3. newoldteacher

newoldteacher Companion

Jul 28, 2005

I just check to see if it's done. If it looks complete, they get a 25. If they do all four night's homework assignments in any given subject, then their weekly homework grade is 100. I have one HW grade per week in each subject. This has made it MUCH easier for me. I keep a notebook with a page for each week. Simple organization, but it took me years to hit on this plan. Hope it helps! :)

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 28, 2005

What happens when you have children who obviously didn't catch on to the lessons? I always check homework and sometimes have to reteach to specific kids and have them correct or redo their homework. Plus, some kids only do part of the HW. I send them to study hall (instead of recess) to finish.

5. cdorey

cdorey Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

I have taught 2nd grade and I give each student a 2 pocket folder that is to only be used for homework. I have a homework folder basket in my classroom and as they come in everyday they drop their folder into the basket. I also have a checklist on a clipboard in the basket that I can use to check off if they have completed the homework. I usually can do it in about 5 minutes. Take out their completed homework, check off if they did it (or a circle in the box if it is incomplete), put in the new homework for that night, and then slip their folder into their mailboxes to go home again. I just put an A in the box if someone is absent and then I know to watch for it the next day. Then with a quick scan of the list I can see if anyone forgot to turn their homework in. Also, if you have any parent volunteers this is a great way to use them. : ) I do not grade the homework because it is usually a review skill for practice and it is USUALLY (I say that lightly) correct if a parent has checked it at home. So, with most homework it is a complete or incomplete and then into the circular file. Hope that helps!

6. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

Do you send the homework home after you've checked it in or do you toss it? When I was student teaching in first grade, the teacher tossed the homework. It would be nice to just toss is after I check for completion, but I wasn't sure if I should be sending it home.

7. cdorey

cdorey Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

For me, most of the time I do not even grade it. I can scan through it rather quickly and make sure that it is correct. If I see that a page is done incorrectly I stamp it with a "Homework" stamp and then I will send it home. This lets the parents know that they need to do a better job of checking homework at home but for the most part I toss it. I usually only check the things that are written assignments for homework. Plus, the parents are already receiving all of the work that we have done during the day. I have asked parents their opinion and most say they dont want it back. If they truly did check it at home then they wouldnt need to see it again. In my opinion, if I send home too many papers then they wont take the time to look through them so I try to only send home ones that I want reviewed or ones that are graded. People are busy and I want to be considerate of their time too! Plus it saves me time in grading.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 29, 2005

I send it home on Fridays with any other papers that are going home. Often, though, homework is in a workbook because they often lose individual pieces of paper. I'm going to composition books this year because of that.

9. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 29, 2005

I check and grade my students homework. ( I know, lots of work). But I have found that it helps me see if a student is getting help at home or not. If thier homework is coming back worse than thier classwork, I know they are not getting help - and that they probably need a lot of help at school. If their homework always comes back 100%, I know that they are getting help. (maybe a little too much?) Anyway, It really does tell me a lot about my students. I also send home homework that reinforces what I have done in the classroom and find it VERY important. I think it is a lost cause if we just give homework without thinking about "what" we are giving. So my homework always has a reason and particular purpose. Many times I use it to go over important concepts after I have graded it. I also notice that if a student doesn't do well one week on homework, but does well on the other week, then he/she probably had some problems at home that first week. It allows me to take into account thier home life that obviously as we all know, affects thier school life. I feel like I'm rambling, but I just wanted to say that I find homework SUPER important and I grade it all.

10. Miss J

Miss J Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

I usually have the students put it on their desks and I walk around and check to see if they have it. We then go over it as a class and the kids correct it themselves. I usually call them up to the board and give them a number to do. That way, 5 or 6 problems are done at a time and it moves along quickly. Any problems I notice we go over in more depth. It is usually a quick review and I think the kids like it because they are able to see how they did and they notice any foolish mistakes on their own. I then usually collect it and look it over quickly as I put it back in their mailboxes to go home. That way, I can see who needs more help. I think it is important for the kids to see how they did. If they never get their homework checked or
    back they may think it is unimportant.

11. Teri104

Teri104 Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

We do not grade homework at our school. I have finally found a system that works for me. I use a two - pocket folder. On the right side I put a label that says RETURN. On the left, the label says KEEP. All homework sheets go on the return side and come back on that side. After I check them they move to the keep side. Any papers that need to be signed and returned go on the RETURN side. Things that are for information purposes go on the KEEP side. Hope this helps! Have a great year!!!

12. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 7, 2005

I agree with giving homework that only reinforces the skills taught for that day, week, month etc. I don't send home homework just for the heck of it. some teachers in my building do, and I hate that! Anyhow I collect and grade most homework assignments, but when I grade them, I only grade them based on five points.
    1. Homework is completed.
    2. Students put out effort (not all incorrect like they just wrote something down, also, if all of the work is incorrect then I meet with the student to see if they guessed or just didn't understand the concept.)
    3. Homework is neat.
    4. Homework is turned in on time.
    5. Name is on their paper ( I know, this is sad, but you'd be surprised how many students cannot do this even at fourth grade!).

Homework grades are 35 percent of the overall grade for report cards.

Students who do not complete their homework stay in at recess, but I hate to do this because they really need to get outside and run around. I just don't know what else to do.

13. Miss J

Miss J Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

I definitely agree with the recess issue. They definitely need it but what else
    can we do? I've tried everything! It seems to work for most kids but there are
    still those few that are unorganized and forget it all the time. I do have a strict system with them and they know that if homework is not in, they bring a clipboard outside to work on it. It's hard when you know a student really did
    it but forgot it. Rules are rules though! I wish there was another way so they
    could get their exercise!

14. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 8, 2005

When my students come to school they have 3 things to do when they walk in. They are to 1. Do thier lunch count, 2. TURN IN THEIR HOMEWORK, 3. Start thier morning work.

I have a bin where students must turn in thier homework in the morning. While they are doing thier morning work I take attendance and then check to see that everyone has turned in thier homework. If homework is not turned in by 9:00 a.m (school starts at 8:45), then it is considered late. I do not allow students to turn in late homework, so they recieve a zero. I grade homework, because my homework is work that reinforces what I teach, so it is important that I grade it and see how the students are doing. :)

[​IMG]