Homework

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Jan 7, 2010.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jan 7, 2010

Do you give homework to your K kids? If so ... what's your procedure?

3. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Jan 7, 2010

I give it monthly. THey get a list of sight words and the letters (the last 3 will be completed this month) that we are studying.
    Mondays, they have to write each sight word (5 per week) 1 time each. Tuesday, they have to try and find the sight words in their environment (store, food containers, books, magazines, etc.) Wednesday, they have to write a sentence using their sight words. Thursday- they need to draw and write about their favorite part of a book. Friday-nothing.

The homework does not have to be turned in. If they turn it in, I give the students stickers for completing it and write notes or corrections.

Our students get homework for Math, English, and Spanish, so I try to keep it short and simple for them.

4. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jan 8, 2010

Yes, my students have homework Monday through Thursday nights. They have a list of sight words to read and a leveled reader each night. It is the same leveled reader each night. Then, on Wednesday nights, they fill out a "book report" on the leveled reader. The book report consists of three questions about the book. It normally takes my students about 10-15 minutes per night. I have never had any complaints from my parents about this homework.

5. spunkyteacher

spunkyteacher Rookie

Jan 8, 2010

I have a homework calendar that will have different skills for each day of the month (Monday-Thursday). This is addition to their leveled reader, AR reader, and sight words that need to be done every night.

6. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jan 10, 2010

i do homework only tuesdays and thursdays. tuesday they have a book they complete one page in and usually a math worksheet as well. thursday is usually one for math, one for reading.

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2010

I send a homework packet home every Monday to be returned Friday.
    It has a weekly newsletter on the front for the parents telling them
    what we are focusing on in Math, Language, Sci. S.Studies, etc. and any upcoming important dates, Student of the Week, and help wanted sections. I also have a reading log and parents are encouraged to read to their child or have their child read to them every day. I include approx. 3 pages geared to L.A. (reviewing what we are learning this week) and 3 pages math, and maybe one page sci/s.studies) I include a take home copy of the phonics reader of the week. I give them a check on the homework chart so that I can track who is returning homework. I take it home on the weekend to correct, and give each child an animal cookie who turned their homework in on time. :D

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 11, 2010

Yes and no.

If I see their group for guided reading, I ask them to read the book at home (I see each group 2-4 times per week). I have also provided each of them with sight word cards. If they practice the cards 15 or more times per month, they get their picture in the hallway on a poster that says "word wall wizards."

I will send something else home maybe 1-2 times per quarter, and it is usually a family activity related to our social studies or science unit.

9. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 13, 2010

I have a monthly calendar that has basic skills on it, a reading log for 15 minutes of reading each night and an occasional worksheet to reinforce skills we are working on.

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2010

considering we do NO worksheets, I certainly couldn't send them home and expect it to be done. My kids are expected to read word wall each night along with reading their guided reading book.
    I just think it's a much better use of that precious homework time.

11. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jan 30, 2010

Wondering...what are the three questions they have to answer?

12. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jan 30, 2010

No!!! But I do expect parents to read with their child nightly. (although I have a few parents this year who can't read) We do AR books but I don't keep record. I do send home words they should be able to sound and blend as well as sentences on the back of my parent letters every Monday. But nothing to return.

I also do "Word Wednesday" where I send home 10 words on a ring and every Wednesday the children bring the words back and I flash the words to the child, the ones they read get "punched" and if they get them all they get a new set.

In September I request they practice writing their name.

I think they work EXTREMELY hard during the day, and they are FIVE! I don't want to waste paper making them do silly worksheets just to have "homework". Although I know some districts mandate homework! :( I'd prefer them play! Unfortunately, my kids only get 30 minutes of play at school, so they definitely need to play at home!

I do send home literacy bags. Each child gets to take one home once a week. They include books, games, and retelling props. No "busy" work and nothing to turn in for a grade or check off.

13. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jan 31, 2010

our kindergarteners only get homework for special projects, like having to find words that start with the letter of the week , or having their parents help them do a fire exit plan or list countries in the world starting with the letter __ or things like that. Ours is an all day program so we get alot done at school

14. kmiller215

kmiller215 Rookie

Jun 6, 2010

I really like the idea of word wednesday!! Thank you, I believe I will use that!