homework

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by HeatherY, Dec 28, 2009.

1. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Dec 28, 2009

Do you give homework? What is your policy if a student does not do it?

3. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Dec 29, 2009

I do give homework, but I am looking to change my homework policy. I'm interested to see what is posted on this forum.

4. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 29, 2009

5. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Dec 29, 2009

Yeah, I saw those, but they don't really help. Let me give you the background.

I was hired late in the year to break up 2 large classes. The standing rule for the grade was that if you don't do your homework then you stay in at recess and complete it. Problem being, I have to stay there to supervise. I really hate it. I would rather those kids go to recess and also get a few minutes to myself to set up or prep stuff. And I tend to have 2 offenders regularly. They go to the afterschool program. I have talked to the folks down there several times because the kids are supposed to be doing the homework there (and there is no reinforcement at home for these two kids). When I speak to them, it gets done for about a week and then peters off again. Obviously, losing recess is not a big deal to these two because they consistently don't do the homework. So I am feeling like this policy is punishing me more than them.
    I spoke to some other grade level teachers -2nd doesn't do homework, 4th doesn't really check it everyday, and 5th gives out "missed homework slips" -get 3 a week and they call the parents.

So I just want to know what is your policies with homework. I know there is no parental support for these two, so sending it home slips would not be much better. I could hold them afterschool and make them complete it in class, but again, that would require a lot of my time when I feel like I should not have to do that. We have had so many talks about responsibility and homework. Some kids forget it sometimes, but most often it is 2-3 students regularly.

Also, the homework is in workbooks, so they can't just turn it in. Right now they put it out on their desk in the morning and we check it for completeness and then write the names on the board of the kids who need to stay at recess and complete homework. I really don't like this.

6. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Dec 29, 2009

If you can get other staff involved, have one person be the babysitter for a week and the rest of you can do what needs to be done. My district has a requirement that we give homework, but it's just a waste of time as far as I'm concerned, unless the parent requests extra work and promises to follow through with the help at home.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2009

I'm grade 2 but I do know that our third grade gives about 40 minutes of homework each night. In my class, kids who don't do hw sign my 'missing hw' book. If they bring in the missing work the next day, they get to cross off their name. I check the book about once every 2 or 3 weeks. If there are 'repeat offenders', I send a note home about homework responsibility. Parents must sign the note and return it...works pretty well....I haven't had to send any of the notes home this year.

8. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 29, 2009

Since losing recess doesn't seem to work, you need to find other reinforcers. Instead of doing their homework during the missed recess, you might try repetitive writing. Maybe have them write "I will do my homework on time for Ms. Heather every day" 50 times and let them know they will have to write it 75 times if they don't have their homework tomorrow.

If they complain about having to write instead of being allowed to do their homework, remind them they are supposed to do their homework in the afterschool program and they shouldn't be rewarded for NOT doing their homework by being given MORE time to do it.

On the other hand, since there is no parental support at home and only minimal support afterschool, you might try positive reinforcercement instead. If they do all their homework for a week, maybe let them have 15 minutes of "free time" on Friday afternoon or some other special privilege.

9. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jan 6, 2010

Here is what I am going to try: I pulled out a composition book and wrote each child's name on a page. I will walk around and check their homework in the morning. If it is not done then I will write the date and the type of missing homework (spelling, math, etc...) and I will have the child sign the book. If they miss 3 homework assignments in one week I will call the parents. I will log this call in the book directly below the assignments.

10. corney

corney Companion

Jan 6, 2010

My daughter gets daily spelling word assignments, one reading page (The Daily News), and sometimes a math page a couple times a week. The homework assignments are posted on the black board every morning and the children are to write them in their school provided planner, I'm to sign it every night that the home work was completed. Homework counts for 10% of their over all grade.

11. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jan 6, 2010

I agree w your Homework Policy.
    It is quite fair and coherent.
    Students can understand it easily !!!!

12. Toast

Toast Companion

Feb 17, 2010

Ah... you took an overflow classroom. I did that my first year teaching too.

I give a homework packet weekly that is due every Friday. I too, dislike keeping kids in at recess because that takes away from my lunch. Every Friday I have a special Fun Friday recess at the end of the day. All kids who have not turned in the homework packet that day have to sit against the wall and do their homework. I make sure I make a few extra copies of the packet for those who conveniently "forget" their packet. A lot of times the partially completed packet is in their backpack and all I have to do is fish it out for them to do during the Fun Friday Recess.