homework woes!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by chase164, Apr 3, 2008.

1. chase164

chase164 New Member

Apr 3, 2008

HI! I am a high school teacher, with a second grader and I need to look to my elementary collegues for advice. My daughter is struggling with reading and homework in general. She is averaging about 45 to 90 mins of homework each night. On average she will get in a week, spelling three nights a week not including practice tests which are dictated sentences, math each night with the exceptation that she will be practicing her mad minutes and her triangle facts nightly, twice a week she has a reading journal that she has to complete along with her 20 mins of reading each night (which is never only 20 mins since she struggles with the reading). This doesn't include extras like research for a paper on shrimp like she has for this weekend. I find that she is hating school and all we are doing is fighting. I know the state GLIC's are getting crazy and teachers have so much to cover but I don't what to do. I don't want her to be burned out at 8!! :help: I have talked to her teachers, to no avail! I would love some insight!!!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 3, 2008

I can't give you any insight. I can't understand if you have talked to her teachers why they haven't adjusted her homework.

Our homework is meant to take 30-40 minutes per night, 4 nights per week. I always tell my parents that if it is taking more than that (and the chid is diligently working, not goofing off) then STOP! Call me or send a note, because it shouldn't be taking so long.

There are many ways homework can be adjusted -- just odd or just even problems can be assigned for math, the number of spelling words can be reduced, etc. If I have a struggling reader, I would rather she read than anything else.

Make sure to document the amount of homework and the time it is taking each night. Show it to the teacher one more time. If you don't get any results, go to the next level (usually the principal) because homework in 2nd grade should not be taking 90 minutes per night.

Homework is meant to help a child practice skills already learned at school. It is not meant to be torture.

4. foxgallagher

foxgallagher Rookie

Apr 3, 2008

Holy moley...that's a lot of homework for a second grader! My fourth graders don't even get that much homework. Not that I'm trying to insinuate anything, I'm just playing devil's advocate. Is it possible that she could be completing some of this work in school and isn't?

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 3, 2008

I taught 2nd grade for over 14 years. I do not agree with homework. I think that reading and studying spelling words should be enough. If we are doing our job each day at school, why should they have to take so much home. I don't want to take work home with me, so why would I expect a child to spend an additional extra hour a day doing their job??? Just my two cents

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 3, 2008

I am a second grade teacher, and I happen to agree with you...HOWEVER my district requires that all second grade students have to be assigned 30-40 minutes of homework at least 4 nights per week. I make it so that 20 minutes of that is reading, and the rest I make fairly easy...just review. If it were up to me (which it isn't, unfortunately) I would only give reading.

7. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Apr 3, 2008

I hate homework more than the students. I cannot stand preparing, assigning, and checking it off.

That said: I give 20 min of reading, spelling (M-3x each, T-abc order, W-sentences and Th-pretest) and a review sheet for math. If we have a test coming up, I send home a review that we completed in class and that I corrected. Oh! And a book report every week. That's pretty much it. I had parents going to the principal instead of talking to me first and asking for more homework!

Sorry to rant, but it seems like what your child is getting is excessive. But that's just my humble, homework-hating opinion.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 3, 2008

That's more HW than I think I give as well.

I give spelling words (and an activity for each night) and math facts review.

I *trust* the parents that reading is part of their routine at home and don't assign it as HW. I believe this to be true for most of my students. The ones that have challenges with reading, I tell the parents this is a must.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 4, 2008

I teach 2nd grade, too and I don't give any homework for many, many reasons. The biggest is that our kids don't get but one recess a day (10-15 minutes depending on how they go to lunch) and I feel that they need time at home to be kids. Kids should play, have fun, relax, enjoy being w/their families, develop relationships with their families.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 4, 2008

Try setting up a schedule for her. Do blocks of 15 minutes with a break of 10 minutes in-between them. I would also switch off from an easy subject (that she enjoys) to a harder subject for her.

Having a set schedule of homework time, with breaks, and the order to do hw may help her feel less stressed out--- she knows how things will work out.

Contact her teacher(s) and let them know about this schedule. If she has to show up with missing homework, explain that she didn't have time to complete it.

If teachers complain, take it to the principal. A child shouldn't burn out at age of 8. And honestly that sounds like WAY TOO much for a child. I wouldn't expect that much until high school honestly.

11. chase164

chase164 New Member

Apr 4, 2008

I have asked if she isn't finishing the work in school and no all the work is homework! I have talked to some other parents at the school and they have the same issue. Last year in 1st grade she also got 30 to 60 mins a night. This weekend she has a research report to do. Thanks for all of the input, I truly appreciate it!

12. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Apr 4, 2008

I give 20 minutes of reading and 1 page of math which is usually 10-20 problems depending on the skill. We figure this should take 30-40 minutes for both. In reality I know it takes longer for the students who are below level in either of these areas. When you think about it they are always pushing differentiated instruction within the classroom. Perhaps this should go beyond the classroom. Of course as I say that I am biting my lip as that puts more pressure on me the teacher to do that. If the district is mandating this it might be difficult for the teacher to change but perhaps she can reduce the amount for those below level.

13. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2008

It could be possible...I was that kid in first grade! I was good as gold, quite, but struggled through the endless amt of worksheets that we did. One day, we were told that if we did not finish our work we could stay in for recess to finish it or take it home. Well, wanting to play, I saved the work for home...and told my mom it was homework (on top of the regular homework). Nedless to say, it was an awful lot of homework and she called another parent to get the scoop...and I was busted! Dont know what went on between my mom and the teacher after this as I was only 6.....

But, try talking to the teacher again, walk in wit some suggestions (like only do half the page....5 spelling words instead of 10 etc...) and see if she/he is willing to meet you half way. Also, I would assume that if the homework is hard, she is having a hard time in school as well....what does the teacher have to say about that?

14. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Apr 4, 2008

That's more homework than my 3rd graders have. They have (1) 20 minutes of reading a night, (2) study their spelling words (their choice of how they do it, parents just sign off that they studied), and we use Harcourt Math so they have (3) a math sheet per night with anywhere from 15 to 25 problems with the new skill and also review of previous skills. Other than that they have 1 project each 9 weeks but they are given at least 2 weeks to complete the project. That's it.

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2008

The only homework I have is reading 300 minutes per month
    10 minutes a day X 30 days.

I just think we need to let kids be little too.
    Our students are already in school for the length of a full time job.

16. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Apr 5, 2008

Our school's HW policy is 10 min per grade level: 10 for 1st, 20 for 2nd, 30 for 3rd, etc.
    I do tell students they also need to read for 15 min. each night, but besides that they have 4 choice spelling assignments to be turned in on Fridays (so they can do them all in one night, or one each night) and a math homelink that goes with each days lesson. For most kids the homelink takes 5 minutes to do.

17. C2Teach

C2Teach Rookie

Apr 5, 2008

Our school's policy is also 10 minutes per grade level.

Have you had a chance to bring your concerns before the principal or school council? That is a lot of homework. Maybe even ask if the teacher can provide her homework to complete by the week instead of daily so that she can adjust nightly time as needed - but it's still too much homeowrk.

As a 2nd grade teacher, I give a nightly math minute review page (takes 5 minutes if that - actually most get it done as they are waiting for the dismissal bell to ring). I also assign a reading comprehehension sheet - along with 20 minutes on the honor system of reading something of their choice.

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 23, 2008

I have the same homework routine each week, too...minus the weekly book report. I've never had parents complain about the amount of homework that I give out, even though it's minimal. I always tell parents that their child shouldn't spend more than 20 minutes each night doing the homework assignment because it directly corresponds with what we did in class that day; thus, they shouldn't have trouble completing the task. There are many second grade teachers in my district, however, who give out a TON (in my opinion, at least) of homework, which mainly consists of worksheets...or what I refer to as "busy work." What kid wants to spend his/her time completing 2-3 double-sided worksheets each night?

In short, I don't think kids should spend more than 20-25 minutes each night on homework.

19. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jun 23, 2008

I also teach second. That does seem like way too much homework. I try to keep homework to a minimum because these children are still so young. I have a second-grade daughter, and I know that when she comes in from school, she is ready to have time to play, exercise, run around the neighborhood, etc. The school day is long enough as it is (for an 8 year old!) . . .

in my humble opinion :unsure:

20. MsWilks13

MsWilks13 Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

I'm sorry, but I am an advocate for homework. I'm not sure how long it took my 1st graders to complete their homework, but I give homework at least 3 times a week. Ususally it looks like this:

Mondays: write spelling words 3 times each along with a math worksheet

Tuesdays: Math worksheet

Wednesdays: reading and math worksheet

Thursday: language arts worksheet/study for spelling test

Friday: none

I've never had a complaint, but this is as far as I know.
    I don't think that this is too much to ask. I teach in a school where parental involvement is far and few, but I also provide my students with challenging, emerging, or low ability homework on the same skill. I want them to feel a sense of accomplishment.

21. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2008

I teach first grade. I send home weekly homework. I know that some of the lower kids in my class can do most of their favorite stuff (math) within fifteen minutes most weeks. They also have twenty minutes of reading nightly. The rest of the stuff is writing spelling words, handwriting practice and writing one story a week. I also ask that parents talk to me if they think it is too easy, too hard, or they have anything they want to say. I have gotten no complaints. I don't see any reason to torment a child with homework.

22. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 24, 2008

I so totally agree with this statement! I tell parents "I'm not here to torture your child! If homework is taking longer than ___ minutes, (and your child is really working, not just daydreaming and dawdling) then STOP! and call me or send me a note. We can modify it!"

23. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 24, 2008

My co-first grade teachers and I have discussed homework at length. We all have the same opinion/policy. In first grade we give 1-2 math worksheets a night (Saxon) and a fluency passage that must be read for 1 minute (only.) I gave spelling last year because my students needed more practice because their grades stunk. At the beginning of the year we tell parents that the purpose of homework is some extra practice but with little ones it's more about teaching responsibility.

This year I hope my schedule works out where I get to do my Progress Monitoring/One on One assessments at the end of the day right between P.E. and Snack. I'm going to let my kids time do their math homework during that time if they want to. But they'll still have to be responsible for putting it in their Take-home folder and making sure it gets back the next day.

24. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 24, 2008

I teach 5th grade, and hate giving homework at all. I think kids today are so over scheduled, they don't need the added pressure. I do assign spelling homework, but the kids know what's due when, so many of them work ahead. I try to allow time to at least get a good start on anything else during class. My other pet peeve is the parent who all but does the homework for her child, by checking and fixing every problem. I try to tell the parents at the beginning of the year to lay off, but some will never hear it!

25. MissV

MissV Companion

Jun 24, 2008

Bah 45 minutes of homework isn't soooo bad if you consider that 20 minutes of that is "reading." Seriously, 2nd graders should be reading every night anyway, especially if he/she is struggling. Reading together (especially towards bedtime) is a great relaxing and bonding time for parents and children. I fondly remember it myself.

So that leaves what? 25 minutes? That's not so bad. I got a little behind in 2nd grade, and I remember that I sat at the kitchen counter and worked on my homework (definitions! ew) while my mom cooked supper. If I had a question, she was right there to answer it, and when I got finished working, yay! dinner time! Plus, I earned skittles for doing a certain amount of problems. (and coming from a kid who wasn't allowed to eat much candy, it was a treat!)

90 minutes does seem a little extensive. I teach 3rd and try to only give about 15-20 minutes of homework every night. (not including reading time...but that is more on an honor system basis anyway), all of my kids seem to enjoy school and don't mind doing homework since I tend to make the problems silly, and they get to play homeworkopoly the next day.

I guess since school is out now, everything is back to normal. Hopefully next year your child will enjoy 3rd grade and have less extensive homework! (Though I bet a lot of "homework" time will be spent memorizing math facts ! )