HOMEWORK SIGNATURE REQUIRED?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Noscut1000, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Noscut1000

Noscut1000 Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I'M A NEWBIE AND I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE WOULD SHARE IDEAS ON HOMEWORK AND HAVING A PARENT/GUARDIAN SIGN ON A SPECIAL SHEET SAYING THAT THEY REVIEWED IT. I WOULD LIKE TO DO THIS IN THEIR HOMEWORK FOLDER BUT DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START. I HAVE THE FOLDERS AND WE ARE GOING TO START GIVING HOMEWORK OUT ON MONDAY (2ND WEEK OF SCHOOL ALREADY) AND I HAVE THE WORKSHEETS I'M SENDING BUT NEED SOME IDEAS ORGANZING IT. FOR EXAMPLE, SHOULD I HAVE I NEW SHEET EVERY WEEK/MONTH ETC. ALSO ANYONE WANT TO SHARE WHAT THEY HAVE WRITTEN TO PARENTS WITH A SIMILAR IDEA?

3. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

homework in Kinder? Wow :woot:

4. MsKay

MsKay Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Well I would say instead of making the parents sign you can always give HW out on a certain day. Maybe they always know a packet or whatever will be in the folder on monday or.. you can send home a missing assignment sheet each friday so the kids will not get too far behind if they are missing something. Sometimes parents act like they are just too busy to sign papers and just cannot do little thinsg like that.

5. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 9, 2007

My students have a homework assignment book with space for their assignments, my initials, and their parents' initials. After the students write down their assignments, I initial to show that the information is complete and correct. Parents initial complete or incomplete after reviewing the homework that evening. I collect the books in their homework folders and check them everyday.

At our school students are given detention for incomplete homework, so I wanted a way that the parents would already know that the homework was not complete before they got a call from the office. It's worked well.

6. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I teach kindergarten also, and we are required to send homework home in our state. We send it on Mon-Thurs. In our homework folder, their is a half folder stapled inside that holds a conduct chart. Each day, my assistant gives each child a smiley face, or changes it during the day if needed due to a discipline problem. At the beginning of the year, our newsletter lets parents know that they are asked to sign under the daily face. Doing so lets me know that they have discussed that days behavior AND they have gone over completed homework. Good luck!:)

7. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

do each individual teacher, stay with their students who dont have their work done, or is it on a rotational basis where 2 or 3 teachers roam the gym for the entire detention hall?

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 9, 2007

The only thing I have parents sign off on is spelling. I have them do memorization techniques that don't require writing, so I have a form and the parents do it with the child and then sign their signature. This helps me, otherwise I really don't think they would do it. The exercises are SILLY but really work!

I actually don't generally assign nightly reading either, (I won't get into why here) but if I did, I would rather get a parents initials than have the child write a summary or something.

As for regular homework, I can see that the child did it when the turn it in, so to me there is no point in getting the signature. When I do assign reading homework, in preparation for a discussion, I ask them to read it to, and discuss some questions with their parents. I don't get a sig. on that either, but I tell the kids I can tell who did it because they have so many great things to say in our class discussion of the book!

9. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 9, 2007

We have a teacher who covers study hall/detention each afternoon. I fill out the detention slip, staple the incomplete work to it, and send it down to the office. The detention teacher is responsible for making sure my student completes the assignment, and the papers are then put in a folder in my mailbox. I also get the detention slip back with the teacher's initials showing that my student reported as assigned and that the parents were notified. We record detentions on report cards, so I keep all the slips in a file if there are any questions.

10. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 9, 2007

I don't know how you'd do it with kinder but when I taught fifth grade I sent study guides home two weeks before every science and s.s. test. These study guides had to be signed by parents with a note!!! "John and I studied. Signature" This way I knew parents just weren't signing to be signing. This also worked well when students didn't do well on tests...parents didn't complain because obviously someone lied by saying they studied with their child.

11. 2masters@nojob

2masters@nojob Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

My children are in 2nd and 4th grade, and I have always initialed their homework (each page) to show that I looked at it. You will probably get some parents who initial but don't really look at it, but most will look at it. My son's second grade teacher gave me a Principal's Award (I got a good laugh) because I was one of only a few parents who actually checked for mistakes when I signed. Although some parents are annoyed when they have to sign, it is a good way to try to get them involved in their child's work.