Homework refusal

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teach1st, Sep 3, 2008.

1. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Sep 3, 2008

I have a student that will refuse to do homework at home. Mom sends it back to school and says he refused to do the work. If he misses a day; she just sends it all back not finished. She wants me to make him do it at recess. Okay, I understand I wouldn't want to fight with him all night either. He does need to pay the consequences. However, I have recess duty pretty well all week. We are a small school district. So I am not able to give him the time he needs to help him finish the work during recess. What can I do to get this work finished? The principal said maybe a Cadet could work with him. That is great, but then he will miss out on more stuff in the classroom to get the rest of his work caught up. Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this problem? He was retained in Kindergarten and he takes extra time to catch on to things and I don't want him to fall behind. Any feed back would be great!!

3. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Sep 3, 2008

I'm not sure what a "Cadet" is? At my school, kids go to lunch detention if they don't do their homework. I also teach in a small district, and our principal does lunchroom duty. The kids sit at a table away from the class and eat their lunch, then instead of going to recess after lunch - they do their work.

If that's not an option, I'd probably make him lose some time at recess for not doing his homework (school policy where I teach) and send it back home again.

It sounds like this parent is expecting you to do her job!

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 3, 2008

Is the homework critical? Make his grade lower for not turning it in. Will he do regular work at school? Is he learning?

I would look at the big picture.

The mom has to have him do it. If it's not done, it's not done. Mark it on his report card.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2008

Does he do the homework at recess? If so, I think you need to take a look at the mom.

Is he really refusing to do the homework or does mom not feel up to it when he needs extra help getting it done?

All-out defiant first graders are rare. I doubt that he is so stubborn that mom cannot, in the course of an evening, get him to do the work. But if it's hard to get him to do the work, she may give up easily.

6. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Sep 4, 2008

He is not a defiant kid. If I tell him to get it done, he gets it done. He normally gets it done with little help as well. He works very hard in class. Today I started a reward system with him. If he finishes his work at home, I will give him a sticker to wear. He did his homework last night. Hopefully this will help. I am just not sure on how to handle it. I don't want him to constantly be behind. He is a student that needs the extra practice to help him retain the information. I feel mom doesn't want to help him at home. I understand she may be busy. Hopefully I can reward him at school and this will keep him doing his work. I do think that the stickers will start to get old though.

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2008

He's a first grader.

All you need to do is get different stickers. He'll be thrilled.

8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2008

I think that homework should be the parent's responsiblity. It seems that mom does not want the responsibility for her child. I have created a form thanks to someone on this board that both the child and the parent has to sign when the homework is not done. They also have to give reasons for not completing the homework and turn it in the next day. I would talk to my p to have him/her involved. I think in our district it would be referred to someone for assistance to the parent. How can a parent say a 1st grader refuses to do his homework.

9. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Sep 4, 2008

ummmm...

I would have him do it during computer lab time....it is amazing how fast they get it done then! I have a smartboard, and try to include Smartboard time at the end of the day. I have kids finish work or who had a difficult day fill out reflections at this time.

ummm....you could copy the homework 3 times and have him do triple, during recess/computer lab or free drawing/ play doh time...I have done this too. I tell the student you can do it once at home or three times at school. I do this when parents are at their whits end.

Boy, do I sound like a meanie head! :huh:

10. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

I have Friday fun for about 20 minutes at the end of the day. Kids that did their homework get it (choice time, play with blocks, color etc...). Kids that don't do their homework get to do it then.

11. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2008

Homework is for HOME.....give mom some suggestions for having her get through the time at home and then leave it up to her! This is her child and she needs to deal with finding a way to get it done. Regardless of how he is in school, I am willing to bet that homework is not the only thing that he gives her a hard time about!

12. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Sep 6, 2008

can you imagine...this is grade 1. How 'defiant' will he be in a few years time!

13. busymom5

busymom5 New Member

Sep 6, 2008

What about peer pressure? Is there anyone else having the issue as well? Maybe a Homework Hangman on board for the week. Divide class into teams and when someone on the team doesnt do the homework you add a bodypart . Whatever team doesnt have a body built will earn a treasure box, extra computer time, a homework pass, lunch with you in the room etc. Can be applied to other stuff. I think peer pressure and positive instead of negative first and then use negative-if this mom is this way in this area she can not be very uplifting and affirming in other areas. If she is a single mom she is probably wiped at the end of the day. A male pe coach etc would be a great person to talk to him. "Man to Man" With 5 kids of myown, boys start wanting the dad -male to step forward about now and moms to fade-that may be some of it too. Its not so black and white.

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 6, 2008

:toofunny:

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 6, 2008

Is the homework to hard for the parent, so she can't help him? Can you modify it for him so it's not so long? Adjust it so it would only take him 15 minutes to do (if he works slow).

16. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

I do like your idea of giving the mom suggestions. However, I disagree that homework is for home in all cases. Yes, it's in the name of it, and it's traditionally done there but you have to think of the purpose.

One of my objectives with homework is to teach my children responsability. So there are consequences for not turning in their homework, which includes them working on it in class.

I also have students that need assistance in completing homework, which they don't get at home, so they too work on it in class.

17. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Sep 6, 2008

I also implement Fun Friday (like smgreen 78), with 20-30 min. at the end of the day reserved for playdough, whiteboards, computer, etc. The student needs to turn in all homework that week to participate. If not, they do homework during that time/or lose time off, depending on the homework and if it can be made up (I can not have them make up a house walk tally excersise at school) I also work behavior into this. If they have had to turn their color, they lose a set amount of minutes.

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 6, 2008

Man, if first grade work is too hard for the parent, heaven help them both when he gets to HS with algebra and chemistry.

It sounds like mom just doesn't have the time for him.

19. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Sep 6, 2008

I agree with JaimeMarie and SpecialPreskoo....Teachers don't work in a vacuum. Support from home is crucial. I get that not all home situations are best, but I would work with the mom to help her help him at home before letting her give up and shirk her responsibilities as a parent. Plus, he shouldn't be missing out on these other areas regularly if at all possible. Recess is important during the day - they need a break! Computers is important. Heck, even being able to enjoy Fun Friday is important for self-esteem and building relationships with the other kids in the class.

I hope the mom is receptive to your ideas. The fact that he'll work at home for a sticker from you is encouraging. Sure, I'm not a parent so I probably have no business telling parents what to do at home, but sometimes parents need help knowing how to be good ones.

20. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

I wish my principal would back me on having him do the homework at home. However she insists that parents shouldn't have to fight their children to do their homework. I understand what she is saying. I just feel that finishing his homework should be a skill he masters before he gets into higher grades. I am hoping the reward system will work. I am not going to get any help from the mom or my principal.

21. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

The homework takes 5 minutes at the very max right now. That is if he works slow. It has some handwriting practice, 4-5 words to read, and some pictures to match with words. It is homework from the Saxon Phonics program. It is designed to be a quick and easy review of the days lesson. The child doesn't even really need help. The answers are at the bottom of the page for the parents as well.

22. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 6, 2008

Amen!! I am glad you said this before me haha!!!I think parents should try to help and if they can't then get help. My mom helped me all the way through school with homework/studing for tests. When I go up in school and she could not she got my sister(who was dare I say smarter than me lol) to help me. If not she would write a note to my teacher explaining why I did not get it done. The teachers would be more understanding since there was a note from my mom and it was not like there was note daily. She even wrote a note saying we had a family concert that we made plans to go to for mos. and could I be excused just this once and that she could send me double the next night to make up for it. The teacher said " normally I would not excuse this but she always does her work or at least attempts to do it or you mark the ones she did not understand" I will this once. If this mom made an effort to help and had trouble it would be a diff story. Why do parents have kids if they don't want to raise them right?

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 7, 2008

I don't know I had a parent when I worked in Scaryville that couldn't do second grade work.

24. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 7, 2008

25. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

We mark the grades as a 0 in the grade book. We then fill out a behavior log. If the child is not working it is a behavior problem. After so time he will eventually get to failing and I hate to even say this but, maybe he needs to be recommended with the TST team and be tested for Interventions. They can help him more one on one, you have done your part.