Homework Questions

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Guest, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 2, 2002

IM GOING TO BE TEACHING FIRST GRADE THIS YEAR....ANY SUGGESTIONS ABOUT HOMEWORK? HOW MUCH SHOULD I GIVE???? IM ALSO OPEN TO ANYOTHER SUGGESTIONS ABT TEACHING THESE LITTLE GUYS!

3. mandy1221

mandy1221 Rookie

Aug 2, 2002

I am also beginning my first year of teaching. A close family friend of mine is a veteran teacher, and she has given me some wonderful advice. She uses a homework binder. It goes home on Monday and is due Friday (If they finish early they may bring it in). She explains this process to the parents and the students. She does it this way to teach them responsibility and time management. If the student has ballet practice on Thursday...then they need to complete it before hand. This process also alleviates tons of papers every morning. I hope this idea can help...sorry if it is confusing.

4. pmts02

pmts02 Guest

Aug 4, 2002

Congratulations on teaching first grade!! I would give 2 assignments every night. Maybe one night it would be spelling and math the next night spelling and reading and so on. You could always have them complete what they didn't finish in class for homework as well. I send home a homework sheet on Monday that tells what the homework will be for the whole week and I add to it daily if needed.

5. Helper

Helper Rookie

Aug 5, 2002

:) The first 3-4 weeks of school, you should not give homework. Then you should work your way up. The 5th and sixth week, you should give one sheet. The 7th, 8th and 9th you could give 2 sheets. If that's easy for them, you can even work your way up. Try it! Good luck!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2002

I would start out with homework which helps to include the students' families - family trees, portraits, timeline of important events in the child's life, questionnaire about likes/dislikes, pets, etc. Also, have the child bring something from home which represents him/herself. I wouldn't give too much paper work to first graders. Spelling, yes, handwriting, maybe, math, yes. Make sure the parents know how to supply simple manipulatives - pennies, tokens, etc. If/when the children are reading, have them read at home for 15 minutes and have a parent listen and sign that the child did so.