Homework Question

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by caliteach78, Aug 31, 2008.

1. caliteach78

caliteach78 Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

How much homework do you all generally give in 2nd grade? My plan is for each night to write spelling words, do the B side to the math worksheet from class and read 15 minites a night. DO you give extra worksheets? What about when you start social studies or science? Do you assign homework in all those subjects? I just feel like it's a lot. Any help would be appreciated!! Thank You!!

3. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 31, 2008

My students read for 20 minutes a night, plus completing a language arts and math activity. For math, this is usually a practice page from the day's lesson. For language arts, it could be spelling, phonics, or comprehension, depending on what the day's focus was on. On day 6 of our 6-day L.A. cycle, there is no L.A. homework, so I usually give a social studies or science homework that requires reading and/or writing. Other than reading for 20 minutes EVERY night (weekends, too), I only give two homework assignments a night. When I give science or SS, it replaces language arts.

4. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 31, 2008

Every night my second graders have 20 min. of reading (this includes practicing sight words) and side b of math sheet from day's lesson. During the week, one book report (one page) and practice spelling words. That's it.

5. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 31, 2008

My school says it should be 10 minutes per grade level... so about 20 minutes total.

6. taraes1982

taraes1982 Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

Mine read 15 minutes every night. On Monday they have reading, spelling, and a math sheet. Tuesday, reading and spelling, Wednesday, reading only, Thursday reading, spelling, and vocabulary. The spelling and vocabulary homework is pretty easy....just repetition mostly, so even though some nights may have three homework assignments, they're pretty short. I think a lot of it depends on what you're sending home for homework. Like most teachers, I think homework is practice...not learning a new skill. So anything you send home shouldn't be too frustrating, that way they won't mind completing and it won't take very long, but they WILL get that extra practice.

7. ErikaG

ErikaG Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

Our school dictates no more than 30 minutes of homework. So I usually give 15m of reading, a quick math assignment and I give speling every other night.

8. caliteach78

caliteach78 Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

Thank you everyone! one more questions- do you give packets on Monday or so you assign each night? Thanks!

9. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 2, 2008

Our students read each night (10-20 minutes), have "flash 5" (5 minutes of flashcards), study spelling words, and may have an additional math or English practice activity. I give 10 minutes to work on homework at the end of the day on M, W, Th, and don't generally give homework on Fridays.

As for a packet, no, I usually assign it as we go along throughout the day. For me a packet is difficult because at times I may adjust my plans if they aren't succeeding with a skill/concept, or I may be able to move more quickly through a lesson than I had anticipated. Not being locked into a packet that was previously sent home allows me more flexibility. Does that make sense? :blush:

10. caliteach78

caliteach78 Rookie

Sep 3, 2008

yes thanks!