Homework Question

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by blue678, Aug 17, 2007.

1. blue678

blue678 Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for how to handle rewarding students who regularly complete their homework...like a homework honor roll. How often and how do you reward them? I was thinking (of course) of "no homework coupons"? Any other suggestions?

Also, any ideas for how to keep track of homework completion? I was thinking of recording it on my own checklist and then letting the kids put up a sticker if they completed all their work for that day. Then, after they earn a certain number of stickers, they will win a no HW coupon (or other prize). I just wonder if there's an easier way to go about this.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks so much!!!

3. lwteacher

lwteacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I have done homework parties...
    If a kid brings in eight completed homeworks in a row and on time (not necessarily all correct, but finished), then they can invite a friend to eat lunch in our classroom. I provide desserts (a cupcake or a popsicle, something simple). It's during our regular lunch time and doesn't take all that much planning. You just need to send out invites to the guest students two or three days beforehand. The kids LOVE it. The kids that don't get the homework lunch feel the pressure the first time they don't get it.
    As far as keeping track I just check them off in my gradebook...

4. ThirdGrade123

ThirdGrade123 Companion

Aug 19, 2007

5. teachu

teachu Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I just dowloaded and put together my Homeworkopoly board. I am so excited to tell the kids about it. I think it will be awesome!

6. combo teacher

combo teacher Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I have the individual letters H O M E W O R K laminated and posted on my back wall. When the class has turned in all of their homework on time, we turn over a letter. Once the class has spelled the word homework, they earn a party. For those students who repeatedly lose, forget, or "doggie ate my homework," they lose the privilege of attending the party after their second slip. It's always the same little boy. Let's hope that the conference with his parents tomorrow will help.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  7. Pigger

Pigger Companion

Aug 24, 2007

i do different things ever month.....in the way of a party...it gets expensive and i dont love it...but it keeps the kids motivated.
    we have fondue and fruit, pizza, ice cream sundaes, popcorn, etc.

in addition, i put a symbol up on their lockers......we have an ellison (sp?) press, so september might be a school bus, october a leaf, november a turkey etc.....
    the symbol means i completed my homework for the month of _____________. i have seen it done with pictures and words as well.

one year i tried making a sign that was huge and i mean huge....that read all 22 students in this class have completed their homework for 2 days in a row....each day that number grew and when someone forgot it went back to 0....the problem was we never got passed 2. i would love for it to work but it didnt! i got the idea out of 55 essentials.....the other idea is that once you get to ten, you start baking for them at night with the idea that if they can do homework for 15 minutes every night....you can bake premade cookies....again i like the idea, but we never got to ten. :blush: i tried.

good luck.

8. ok88

ok88 Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

Gosh you are all so kind. I don't reward for completing homework except by taking the time to mark it, put a sticker on good work and make comments on each book. I have 100% homework completion. But now you've got me thinking that perhaps I'm way too hard on these little poppets - prep-1.

9. combo teacher

combo teacher Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

After four weeks, my students have finally earned a party. YAHOO!!!

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 24, 2007

I like the idea of Homeworkopoly.

11. mrsmuggins

mrsmuggins Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Thanks to this forum, I discovered Homeworkopoly. I printed out and put together my board, and the kids were so anxious to play. I decided to play this every Friday. Those who turn in ALL homework assignments are allowed to play.

Yesterday we played for the first time. It was a blast and really didn't take much time, even with every student playing. I am using only one dice so the kids move around the board slowly. If the kids land on property, they wait there until next week. If they land on Brain Binder and answer a question correctly, they roll again. The prizes I gave away yesterday for Chance and Community Lunchbox included: taking home a class game for the weekend, using my electric pencil sharpener, sitting in my chair, using one of my ink pens, bringing their own tape or CD (appropriate, of course) for the class to listen to. I tried to find some "free" prizes that won't interrupt the day or drive me crazy. I have some cheap-o stuff for the Mystery Prize (I think that's what it's called). When they are on the Bus Parking, they can go to the front of the line for recess.

I would love more "free" prize ideas.

I hope the excitement continues. Several parents have told me that their child was so excited about this idea. I am excited too, and I think when we (teachers) are excited about something the kids are too.

12. blue678

blue678 Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

thanks!

thank you all for the great ideas!

for those of you who have done homeworkopoly, i'm wondering how the kids respond when one gets a prize and one lands on a property space. are they ok with this? i'm doing a beach theme in my classroom, so i'm thinking of incorporating homework into the theme by letting them "fish" for various prizes, which i'll have written on index cards... things like no homework passes, a visit to the treasure chest, etc. i'm just wondering how they'll respond if one gets a better prize than another if they've both met the homework requirements. thanks!!!

13. mrsmuggins

mrsmuggins Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

I did go over at the beginning that they would not get a prize every week. My class seemed to be excited just to PLAY. I also made a big deal when they landed on the property - I would say, "You are on Divide Avenue! Wow! Are you going to divide while you are there?" or "You are on Paragraph Place. I bet you are going to have a big party!" I just said silly things, so they thought it was funny and I think they kind of looked forward to what I would say.

Maybe I should say that we only played once, and no complaints - YET!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 25, 2007

I can't deal with anything too complicated, so I just post a chart on the wall and every day when they show me their homework, they give themselves a check and are allowed to hit the Easy button.

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 25, 2007

Does anything happen when they hit the Easy Button (not like the commercials, I am sure, but does it light up, squeak, etc.)?

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

I expect homework to be done. I don't reward for doing it... HW is a reinforcement of what has been taught in class. Dong hw in second grade sets you up for subsequent grade levels to come and helps develop good work habits, setting priorities, managing personal responsibilities and builds a home to school connection. That is reward enough...

17. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2007

I like the idea of letting them hit the Easy Button! I've made a incentive chart for homework that I think I will use to keep track of homework done. I'm thinking if they complete their homework every night for 4 weeks, they get a No Homework pass. Which is easy enough to manage and nothing to buy. I spend enough money on other things, ya know? But I think I definately will have them use that easy button every time they give themselves a mark! Thanks.:)

18. teachu

teachu Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

I also did my Homeworkopoly for the first time this Friday. My kids were so excited. For the regular streets I used our character words and I am going to give them a Character Ed card which goes into a drawing for lunch with the principal at the end of the month. For now, when they land on the space they have to tell me something they did or someone else did for them related to the character word. (Example-One street is Caring Court, so they can either tell about time someone showed they cared or they can tell how they showed caring to someone else.) I also have Gratitude Gateway, Pride Drive, Peace Parkway, Responsibility Road, Integrity Highway, Self-Control Street, Respect Route, Service Circle, Courage Crossroad, and I can't think of what else. The Community and Chance cards my kids got this week were Sit on couch or beanbag for reading, get a drink whenever you want, overhead transparency monitor, and sit in the teacher's chair. Besides the premade ones I added Big Hug, High Five, Thumb War with a Friend, Playing the keyboard at recess (I have one of those Blue Man group keyboards) 15 minutes on the computer, Share a special talent with the class, and 3 shots into trash can (with a paper wad) If I think of more I will let you know. My kids seemed to love it. My only problem is I am using velcro game pieces and only have 2 on each space, so if the space already has 2 people, they jump to the next empty one. Needless to say, some kids are already more than half way around! Any ideas on this? (sorry this was so long!)

19. miscue

miscue Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

you have some great ideas here for free/easy stuff to do! Also kids enjoy being any kind of helper--can they be the pass out/collect person, delivery/pickup (outside of classroom), what ever kind of lunch helper your school has, etc.

20. svteach

svteach Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

I do incentive charts. I dedicate a bulletin board to the charts and title it "assignment all-stars" Each month they get a new chart. In the morning the kids will turn in their homework and they check off their name from a checklist that I have by the turn in area. They must check off each assignment that was due. At the top of page I will write ex. Math page, spelling puzzle. AFter announcements I check the list. If they have all assignments turned in I will call their name and they go put a sticker on the chart. At the end of the month I count up the total number stickers they have and put it out of the total number of assignments. For example 22/25 on the back. Then send it home for parents to see.