Homework? Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by CutnPaste, Apr 13, 2007.

1. CutnPaste

CutnPaste Rookie

Apr 13, 2007

Hello Fellow Teachers:

I need your help. I am taking a class and need input from teachers regarding the use of homework. If you are so willing:angel: , please give your input regarding the following questions:
    1- Do you assign homework to your students? Why or Why not?
    2- What do you feel the advantages and disadvantages are for assigning homework?
    3- If you are a parent, how do you feel about homework and your children?
    Please state the grade level you teach and thank you soooooooooo much for your help.:cool: :thanks:

3. CutnPaste

CutnPaste Rookie

Apr 13, 2007

Hello Fellow Teachers:

I need your help. I am taking a class and need input from teachers regarding the use of homework. If you are so willing :angel: , please give your input regarding the following questions:
    2- What do you feel the advantages and disadvantages are for assigning homework?
    Please state the grade level you teach and thank you soooooooooo much for your help. :cool: :thanks:

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2007

Yes. I assign homework for various reasons. One, I want students to practice the concept at home. Two, I want parents to be more involved in their child's education and the parent gets a glimpse of how their child is doing in school. If the parents sees many answers that are incorrect, then it is no big surprise to them when the teacher mentions that their child is struggling during parent teacher conference.
    I think homework can be an advantage if assigned properly. Homework should NOT last three hours. I like to assign homework that takes about 20 minutes to do. Homework should be completed without parents help, BUT mom/dad/guardian need to look at homework and check it. Homework needs to relate to the concepts being taught in class.
    Please state the grade level you teach and thank you soooooooooo much for your help. :cool: :thanks:[/QUOTE] I teach kindergarten.

5. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Apr 13, 2007

I do assign homework as practice. I don't like taking a grade on it because I don't see it as being fair. I work in a school where parental involvement is low. I have a few students who have support and they consistantly turn in HW. Then I have those who never turn it HW so I feel that taking a grade on it is unfair but I have to per district guidelines.

See #1

Not a parent.
    Please state the grade level you teach and thank you soooooooooo much for your help.:cool:

Grade 3

6. wig

wig Devotee

Apr 13, 2007

Any work not completed in class becomes homework. Some children just need more time than others. I also expect them to read 100 minutes a week and study spelling. Since I also teach in a parochial school they have memory work also. I think some homework promotes responsibility. However, if I taught in a school where parental support was lacking, I would probably have to rethink what I do.

Advantages: Provides practice allowing me to move on without taking a lot of classtime for practice. Disadvantage: Following up on those who do not do their homework (fortunately, not too many in my school)

My children are grown, but I fully expected some type of homework - even if it was just reading. An hour was set aside each night for homework. If there was none assigned that day, they read.

Please state the grade level you teach and thank you soooooooooo much for your help.

Middle School

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

8. CmsTigerGuy

CmsTigerGuy Rookie

Apr 13, 2007

1. I rarely assign homework; sometimes work that is begun in class becomes homework for those who do not finish, but seldom do I actually plan on students doing an assignment entirely at home. I prefer to have students practice the skills that I teach while I can observe and correct them, if neccessary.

2. The main advantages to homework are repetition of acquired skills and the promotion of self-discipline and organization. The main disadvantage, and the reason I shy away from it as a general rule, is that homework is often more a reflection of the student's home than it is a reliable indicator of ability. Too many of the students I serve have a home life in which homework is unlikely to be completed.

3. My little one is just shy of his second birthday, so homework isn't an issue for us yet.

I teach 7th grade, and you're welcome.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2007

Now that I have more time I can answer your questions:
    Yes, my kids get homework every night. They know that if it takes more than 20 minutes, they can stop.

I teach math. Homework provides my kids the opportunity to see whether or not they understand how to do the problems we did in class without help. If not, either we need more time on the topic or they need extra help.

-- My 2 older kids have been blessed (so far at least) with wonderful teachers. They do get homework M-Th, but it's not excessive. It doesn't cause the undue stress I hear so much about.

Please state the grade level you teach and thank you soooooooooo much for your help.
    I teach HS math (currently Math 7 &/or Precalculus). My kids are aged 8, 7 and 4.

10. sllecompte

sllecompte Rookie

Apr 14, 2007

Homework Packets

I do agree that homework is important. I send home a homework packet every Monday. It contains a cover sheet for the student and parent to sign and it has the due date(the following Friday). Students are not to bring them back until Friday. I have found this to be most helpful, especially since I teach First Grade and really don't have the time to pass out folders and papers every afternoon(completed classwork is sent home in a Tuesday Folder along with a weekly conduct grade). I stress to my students the importance of doing their homework(rewards can really help!). Also, they are proud to tell me that they completed it all by themselves! I have a 90% return rate on the packets. My packets include the following:
    Cover Sheet
    Outline telling them what to complete each day
    Sight Words
    Vocabulary Words and Definitions
    Reading Comprehension & Fluency Worksheet(Scholastic has a great Week by Week series)
    Spelling Sheet(Scholastic Week by Week series also)
    Math
    Science/Social Studies
    Decodable Book(goes with our Reading series)

By allowing them the week to complete it, it takes the stress off them and eliminates excuses.:D

11. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Apr 14, 2007

1. I assign a packet of homework each week. Everyday, there is something for the students to do and there is always reading for at least 20 minutes per night. It is a review of what is being taught in class and should not take them any more than about 40 min. (which includes the reading). I assign homework for review of concepts as well as to teach responsibility. Students are responsible to complete their homework each week and to return it on the due date (Friday).

2. Advantages: *review of concepts learned
    *parent involvement
    *child must take responsibility and ownership
    of learning
    Disadvantages: *some children never return it or even do it
    *if a child doesn't understand the concepts (or
    the parents) it is hard for them to finish it

3. For my own kids, homework is a must. They must have it finished before they can watch tv or play outside. Having said that, I have two totally opposite children when it comes to school. My oldest is very smart, responsible and always finishes his homework, usually going above and beyond the expectations. My youngest boy has to be reminded that he even has homework and would much rather to throw a baseball then be stuck inside writing a story or doing math problems. He is smart as well but does not apply himself like he should.

I am currently teaching second grade but will teach first next year. I loop from first to second with my students.

12. CutnPaste

CutnPaste Rookie

Apr 14, 2007

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help.:love:

13. CutnPaste

CutnPaste Rookie

Apr 14, 2007

Thanks so much for your help.

14. CutnPaste

CutnPaste Rookie

Apr 14, 2007

Thanks so much for your help!

15. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Apr 14, 2007

I never ASSIGN homework, because they wouldn't do it anyways. But classroom assignments become homework if not completed in class. And, I make sure to fully utilize every moment of class. If they are on task, they can get it done, but if they are fooling around, talking, or need more time they can do it at home.

I don't think there is anything wrong with assigning reading or a few problems, but I hear about teachers assigning 30 minutes of homework PER SUBJECT in the elementary schools, so the kid ends up with 3 hours of homework every night. I think that is excessive!!!

I think reading is the most important thing they can do at home. My parents only allowed half an hour of approved TV a night, or a family show, and then they ACTUALLY PADLOCKED the TV. My brother and I still love to read and go outside and explore. I actually won a read-a-thon in first grade by reading 100 books. We went to the library at least twice a week! And reading about animals is what inspired me to become a Biology teacher.

16. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 14, 2007

The most important part of my students' homework is reading. They read every night for 15 minutes and fill out a reading log where they write a sentence about their book. However, I get more worksheets turned in then students reading. It's frustrating. For homework they just get one worksheet a night. Usually Monday it's spelling, Tuesday math, Wednesday grammar, and Thursday math. I like that they get the practice, and parents get to see what we are working on. It should not take them more than 10 minutes, but some of my parents are so set on finishing the homework, even if it brings tears and arguments. That's the downside. I suppose if any of my parents actually showed up for Curriculum Night maybe that would have made a difference.

As for grading, every morning I just walk around and star their homework. If I noticed they didn't understand it, then I'll spend a minute or two talking them through it. If they don't turn in their homework, I give it to them right then and they do it. I also record on a checklist if they turned it in or not. They get a point for their worksheet and a point for their reading log. I put homework as a category on the report card. Not by accuracy, but by whether they do it or not.

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 14, 2007

Yes, I do assign homework. Most of what I assign is reading or studying. There's not a lot of written homework unless it's to finish work done in class. I think that it's important that they learn the responsibility of taking care of their homework as well as the simple fact that they need to study for tests.
    2- What do you feel the advantages and disadvantages are for assigning homework? Disadvantage - sometimes they don't do it. Sometimes something comes up and they don't have time, but most of the time it's a choice that they make. Adavantages - they have extra time to work on skills they may be struggling with. We don't have time in class to fully address each learning style for each lesson as much as I would like. Homework gives them that chance to explore with their learning style better. It also, hopefully, provides time for them to spend with their parents/guardians that they might not have otherwise.
    3- If you are a parent, how do you feel about homework and your children? I'm not a parent, but I'm an aunt who often helps with homework. I think it's part of school and that as long as the amount is kept reasonable it's a good thing. (My niece having to do a 500 word Spanish/English dictionary with pictures for half of the words in 2 nights was NOT reasonable and I addressed that with the teacher. My nephew having English review each night on the skills he struggled with (parts of speech) that took about 20 minutes WAS reasonable.)
    I teach 5th grade.

Good luck!!

18. CutnPaste

CutnPaste Rookie

Apr 14, 2007

Thanks

Thanks to all of you for your input. I have enough information to write my paper now. Thanks again! :love: :thanks:

19. CutnPaste

CutnPaste Rookie

Apr 14, 2007

Thanks

Thanks to all of you for your input. I have enough information to write my paper now. Thanks again! :love: :thanks: