Homework Problem..

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by MrsFerguson, Jan 29, 2008.

1. MrsFerguson

MrsFerguson Rookie

Jan 29, 2008

My class does absoulutly no homework!I don't even assign much.They had to stay in for recess a couple of times..and still..NO HOMEWORK.I do have a couple of kids that do H.W,but the other half do nothing.I'vesent letters home and called parents.Some of the parents don't even care.They think school is their child's babysitter.I even give out tickets to people who bring their H.W and pull out 3 tickets out of a basket every Friday and the people who's ticket gets pulled out gets candy.It's always the same 3 people every time.The kids that do no H.W always complain that they never get a prize and they never get tickets.I have given out detentions,made them write about 100 times I will do homework.,and made them stay in for recess making up the work...WHAT MORE CAN I DO???? :help::help:

3. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Jan 29, 2008

One thing I make sure to do is always get the homework started in class. This does two things...First, it clears up any confusion the kids may have about how to do the homework or what the assignment is, and second, it stops the "I didn't know we had homework" excuse.

One other comment though...I would suggest NOT using writing as a punishment. We want kids to enjoy writing, not think of it as something you do when you are in trouble.

--Adam

4. MrsFerguson

MrsFerguson Rookie

Feb 5, 2008

Ok,thanks!

5. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Feb 5, 2008

I have the same problem in my class too! I've tried everything! It's funny, I do the same exact ticket thing too! I already do what Adam suggested and in fact the concientious students can often get their homework done in the few minutes I give them to get started.

I'm beginning to think I should not let it bother me so much anymore. It affects their grades. I've talked to their parents. I've talked to the students. I can't make a student do something they don't want to. They make the choice not to do it and their parents obviously are ok with that. It's sad.

Sorry, I'm not much help! But we can commiserate!!

6. Dondee123

Dondee123 Rookie

Feb 18, 2008

Can you reward the kids that do homework at the end of the month with something special, like a pizza party? Or and ice cream break?
    The kids who do not do their homework would have to stay in the room with an aide while the other kids went to the caf.

7. synapse

synapse Comrade

Feb 18, 2008

What is the purpose of your homework? Does it really accomplish your intended purpose?
    Is it interesting and engaging?
    Can it be completeded independently?

8. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Feb 18, 2008

I never assign homework unless it is engaging and essential (NO busy work). I then stress it's importance and what they will get from it. I also always start the assignment in class. This year I am doing something new. Every Monday, I send home a newsletter that includes the week's activities and assignments. This takes about 10-15 minutes to do and saves a lot of time in the long run. At the bottom I have a section for students and parents to sign. This must be brought back on Tuesday or I call home. They do not get any rewards until this is returned. The first few weeks I made a lot of calls but after 4 or 5 weeks they were all being turned in. I have never missed a single Monday and all parents know to expect the letter.

9. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Feb 26, 2008

The letter is a great idea. I usually assign a specific set of assignments for the day and explain what part each assignment plays in our overall goal for the class/chapter.

If a student stays focused and works in class they should not have any homework. If they do not stay focused and work, then they will have homework.

Another suggestion, just to add to your arsenal- instead of candy try sit with a friend passes for lunch. Assuming your middle schoolers sit together with their class at lunch, a sit with a friend pass is usually received like gold. They can move to sit with any friend at any table as long as they behave, and get approval from that friend's teacher.

I number my passes and, if there are quite a few, assign the day of the week they can be used on. By numbering them I can record who they go to, and avoid turning them into a basis for a token economy. You have to earn the pass to use it.

It is amazing what they will go through to get one of these.

10. lisap

lisap Companion

Mar 8, 2008

I have a first grader who receives math or writing homework most nights. I appreciate him getting into the routine of homework. I also believe that the purpose of homework is for additional pratice and more indepth learning/application of concepts. So. . . homework is not an end in itself but a method to learning the whole.

From a high school teacher's perspective, I will not allow a student to take a test until they have demonstrated some learning and practice of the concepts by completing the homework. I do teach in a 90 minute block so there is a lot of guided practice during class time, but there is the independence level that is required also out of doing the homework.

11. lisap

lisap Companion

Mar 8, 2008

I also wanted to add, that it is good to start off your homework expectations with opportunities to be successful. Something as easy as a survey question. You might also consider using a standard color of paper to copy the homework on. That way they know that if they receive the "green" paper, it is automatically homework - no questions asked.

12. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Mar 21, 2008

Try a little positive reinforcement. I use something called "Homeworkopoly". You print it out online ( homeworkopoly.com ) and put it on a bulletin board as a game board. Each student gets a game piece (I just laminate something with their name on it and use sticky tack). You can run it however you'd like, but my policy is that if they remember ALL their homework that week, they can play on Friday. If they forget their homework (it HAS to be on time) they don't get to play for that week. Check out the website - I've seen this used in 2nd - 5th grade classrooms.

13. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Mar 21, 2008

Homework is another sacred cow in education which receives little examination. Teachers tend to spend a lot of valuable time chasing after students with little thought towards "Is this getting us anywhere?" Research has shown no gain in achievement between "doers" and "non-doers" until high school.

Inherent to HW is fact teacher can't be at the home to monitor diligence and accuracy. Nor can the teacher determine, for sure, who has really done the HW -- student, parent, sibling, friend etc. ? Madeline Hunter has said teachers are wasting way too much time correcting HW trying to determine who has "done". Her stance suggests teachers should be concerned with who has "learned" not who has done. To this end Hunter suggests if a teacher is truly interested in learning versus doing, a quiz "on the homework" is a far better measure.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 21, 2008

I assign homework every day, but that's because math requires practice in order to really learn it. The work I send home is around 12-15 problems for each topic we study. I always give them some time to start it in class, for many of the same reasons already stated (clears confusion, some kids can actually finish it, ect). I grade for completion, not correctness, and look at incomplete work with an eye toward determining why it wasn't complete (was the student confused or lazy?). In the end, I always know who actually did it and who cheated because the ones who did it score well on the exams.

15. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Mar 22, 2008

Loomistrout,
    This is a very interesting debate...Could you please point me to that research...

Thanks,
    Adam

16. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Mar 27, 2008

I have had the most success with placing the students into competitive groups. Each HW assignment is worth 10 points for your group: +10 if you have it, -10 if you don't. At the end of 2 weeks, I switch the groups. The students pressure each other to do the work, and no one likes being known as the one who doesnt try the HW.

db