homework-parent help requested

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by AuburnTeach, Sep 16, 2006.

1. AuburnTeach

AuburnTeach Companion

Sep 16, 2006

I sent a writing topics sheet home with a letter asking parents to fill in a writing topics sheet with their students (second graders). The topic sheet is two-sided and was a catalyst for writing ideas for journal time--people I know, places I've been, etc.

The letter said specifically for parents to do the writing for their child or to have children copy parent's writing so the words were printed (instead of written in cursive) and spelled correctly.

Three children returned the sheet with only one side completed. One child's was written in cursive. Two wrote their own ideas with no parent help so words were misspelled and illegible.

I'd like to send home another letter and topic sheet and hi-light "both sides" or "printed" or "spelled correctly" and have those parents redo the sheet correctly with their children.

What are your thoughts? Should I just do it myself, take time to do it with the children, or?? It's difficult to teach children to follow directions carefully when their parents don't, but I don't want to seem rude to the parents.

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Sep 16, 2006

I think I would just do it myself. Some parents can't seem to follow directions well and they may find the highlighting rude. I have a student whose homework (first grade) isn't completed correctly or he does something strange on his papers, I think his parents may be illiterate, so I try to explain the directions to him myself.

4. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Sep 16, 2006

If you were sending it home a second time, they might find the highlighting rude. I sometimes highlight things I really want parents to see, but do it the first time I send it home. I would just go over it in class and see what comes of it.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2006

Just make a class chart of the responses you have received. The kids will then have plenty to choose from without getting the parents involved again (you will still have some who 'don't get it' and some will just be annoyed...)

6. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 17, 2006

I like czacza's idea. You could also have the students make their own lists in class and share with a partner. Maybe add ideas from others that they like to their own lists??