Homework packets..

Discussion in 'General Education' started by **Mrs.A**, May 1, 2010.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

May 1, 2010

I am sick and tired of trying to track homework everyday, so I'm considering doing homework packets next year. I will send the packet home on Monday and it will be due on Friday.

Do you think this is ok for fourth grade? I keep hearing different opinions on the matter. Are there any intermediate teachers here that use homework packets? Is this something that should only be done in the primary grades?

I would love to hear what other teachers think.

Thank you!!

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 1, 2010

I think its fine for fourth grade. As a parent, I kind of like weekly packets because on certain days when I know we will be busy, he can do an extra page or two before hand.

As a teacher, I have never done them but many colleagues have.

4. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

May 1, 2010

I started giving homework packets in Jan of this year to my 4th graders. I love it! Their parents love it and it is so much easier for me! I'm not going back to daily homework.

5. MrsCase

MrsCase Rookie

May 1, 2010

I haven't done these in the past, but I am considering something similar next year. I teach 2nd grade, so I was thinking of doing "Homework Tic-Tac-Toe' with my students. Basically it is a full page template of a tic-tac-toe board and in each section a homework assignment is printed that they can choose to do. They can do any of the assignments as long as they do three that week, and they have to be in a row just like they would be in a tic-tac-toe game. The cool part about this is that you can strategically place certain types of assignments in certain boxes so that at least 1 or 2 things that you definitely want students to accomplish will be used no matter what combination they come up with. It's just a thought for now, I haven't used it yet so I will have to test it out logistically...but its another way of doing something like a homework packet.

6. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

May 1, 2010

My partner teacher and I use homework packets. I LOVE them. We do, however, require homework to be done each night. The Homework packets gets sent home on Monday, and each day the homework checker goes around to make sure that night's homework was done.. if not, conduct cards get flipped, etc. Students can work ahead in the packet with no consequence.. so if they'd like they can do all the homework on Monday and keep it in their desk for the rest of the week and not worry about it again

7. lemons11

lemons11 Rookie

May 1, 2010

I use homework packets for third grade, but I give them out on Monday and they are due the following Monday so if they have things going on throughout the week, they can have the weekend to finish up.

childrenscomprehension.com

8. Sagette

Sagette Companion

May 1, 2010

I really like this idea and many of my friends with school age children do as well.

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 1, 2010

As a parent I LOVE them. It's nice to get ahead when it's convenient. Both my children have had them for their reading/language arts/spelling. Neither have them for math as I think the teachers worry students will work ahead and try to do stuff before the concept is taught.

10. Chalk

Chalk Companion

May 1, 2010

Not digging it. Homework is supposed to reinforce the lesson of that particular day. If a student can wait till the weekend or complete the entire packet before the skills are taught, I fear they will not full integrate the new information. Hence homework becomes another useless tool and the students get little to nothing from it.

11. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 1, 2010

I say go ahead and do the packets! They've always worked for me.

12. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

May 1, 2010

We use a homework calendar in our school. The calendar goes home at the start of the month and there is one assignment each (school) day.

Saves the school a lot of paper and ink.

But we are only K-2....

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 2, 2010

I love HW packets.

#1 - I don't have eleventy hundred papers on my desk every day.
    #2 - Since my plans are already written a week ahead of time, I already know what they'll be doing each night, so why not staple it and hand it out on Monday?
    #3 - I teach MS, and a lot of my kids are VERY involved in extracurriculars. So yes - sometimes they'll work ahead if they have a game/concert/recital one night of the week... but at least they ARE doing the work. Plus, if they were absent one day - they already had the work.

The only thing I don't like is having to grade it on the weekends - but a couple of hours on Saturday vs. Small Deciduous Forest Throwing Up On My Desk M-F is totally worth it.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 2, 2010

I know teachers who use packets and like it. I send out a HW calendar on Monday, but the HW goes home each day. Personally, I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time on Friday goin through a week's worth of HW. I would rather spend a little everyday dealing with the HW than a lot of time once a week, but that's just me! Many teachers really like doing the packets.

15. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 2, 2010

Usually I use packets for what we've been working on long term. So I might want to reinforce context clues all next week, because its something I taught this week. I give them out on Monday (the Friday before if its a short week) and suggest what they should work on dailyy. The kids follow the schedule unless they have weird things going on, like I have one kid who goes to church Wednesday night right after school, he has a long commute, so he finishes it on Tuesday or Thursday. Thats okay with me. The kids I have are pretty low functioning and they handle it just fine.

16. holliday

holliday Comrade

May 2, 2010

I teach 7th grade lang/lit and I use packets for grammar and vocab. I shrink the vocab work down small enough to glue into their notebooks. There's a short activity each day. The grammar packets are just stapled papers.

Instead of grading them (that would mean 8-10 pages per kids and I have 80ish students), I design quizzes and allow them to use the packets on them. I find that the averages compare very closely to what I get when I grade them with a fine tooth comb - but I save myself lots of time by just doing a quiz. However, since a quiz grade is up for grabs, the students tend to complete them and ask lots of questions during the week. I use my clicker system for the quizzes and then they're already graded!

No system is perfect, but this has been working well for me.

17. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

May 2, 2010

I check for understanding with classwork, not homework. I know what kids are getting it and who needs the help. With homework, I have no idea how much help they are getting at home from their parents. Trust me, this year, I have some kids that are way too dependent on mom & dad. I don't grade homework because of this..I check to make sure they completed it and use it for review on concepts we have already had practice on.