Homework over the Christmas Holiday

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by volleymom, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 21, 2006

One more thing: when did it become necessary for students to "enjoy" everything they must learn? Yes, it's better when they can, and it's WONDERFUL when they can, but many important lessons might seem useless and dull at the time; they might 'interfere with our fun' and they might not be something we have a great time doing, but the reason for them might not be clear, esp. to a child, until YEARS later.

Sorry, I'm not budging. And since nobody else is, either, perhaps this thread should be closed 'on account of self-righteous stubbornness on everybody's part.'

As for the exercise analogy, I agree with that, too. Everybody knows that exercise makes people healthier and sharper-thinking, so everybody really should exercise daily.

Reading is to the mind, what exercise is to the body. Without either, we are less than we ought to be.

2. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

3. srh

srh Devotee

Dec 21, 2006

Mamacita: That's what I was wondering too! I went to college in the 70s the first time, and finished up another BA and credential two years ago. I never DIDN'T have assignments to be done over breaks. In fact, my second round was of the night school variety, and we didn't even get a real "break." We had school year-round for a year and a half to get it all in. We had the week of Christmas off. But there were so many things due at varied times, that it required lots of study and writing over those holidays! I am also of the "just do it" school of thought. I always imagine that it is for my betterment to be challenged, even if it is not convenient! :-D (Of course, I know that's not a popular attitude!)

4. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 21, 2006

For me, it would depend on why the student was struggling. A reading disorder is one thing, but just preferring to be outside playing is quite another.

5. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2006

Well if we step back and look at what mamacita said, that everyone should read a page or two a day I think that everyone does. It doesn't have to be out of a book, it could be instructions to a game, the back of a cereal box, a video game magazine, an email from a friend, a paragraph on a web page, the TV guide, a recipe when a child is helping a parent, a shopping list and on and on. So I guess my kids do read at least a page or two of something everyday. It really doesn't have to be out of a book.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

It would be great if kids read over the break...many do. It would be great if they watched some educational programing...many do. It would be great if they got off the couch...many do. But when an educator starts dictating a child's BREAK that is absolutely crossing the line. I would never consider doing such a thing...I think if one did they might think just a little too highly of themselves and their position. :rolleyes:

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

This is precisely why I said what I did. This isn't about being outside playing, it is about frustration and difficulty. Why should this child be taught that "this is how it is done because it will make you a better person" instead of, you can Love reading...it IS FUN! If she is to the point of frustration, the teacher has done more harm then good. She may be turned off to reading for good.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

Why is it unacceptable? As teachers, don't we have a responsiblility to teach our students about real life? Assingments teach children responsibility and time management skills. Granted, very often it's the parents who are managing the time for their children and making them complete assignments, but I think that's how most of us developed study habits, eventually we learned how to manage work and play.

Kinder, I agree that teaching children to really enjoy reading should be our goal.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

QUOTE: "As teachers, don't we have a responsiblility to teach our students about real life?"

True - on our time.

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

That's your opinion. I respect it, but I disagree. Homework is not designed, or at least shouldn't be designed as punishment. A reasonable assingment is not going to hurt anyone. There is value in everything including free time. If I asked a child to keep a journal over their break, I'm not restricting their activities at all. I'm asking them to tell me about it. I think that's fair.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

So we agree to disagree. Good enough for me. ;) I just strongly feel that assigning anything over a break would be "intruding" and I personally would never, ever do it.

By the way, I do sincerely agree that assignments should not be a form of punishment.

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

OK then..... ;) :)

13. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 21, 2006

Every semester, I have at least one student who doesn't show up for midterms or finals because of 'family plans.' Then, after the break, they actually expect to be able to take the tests. These are usually students whose families have pulled them out early all their lives, for Disneyland, etc. The nursing students in our college have incredible workloads to be accomplished over breaks. The ones who will be good nurses don't complain because they know that in real life, things are sometimes inconvenient. As I said before, I do not assign work over a break, but some of the professors really have no choice if the flow is not to be interrupted, and if a student does get such an assignment, he/she had better do it, or take the earned and well-deserved consequences.

As for 'real life,' um, isn't that where we are supposed to do things like keep our word, fulfill our obligations, do our work, etc.?

Sometimes that sense of entitlement can really play havoc with how things are in that same real life.

But sure, tell your kids they don't have to do it if they don't want to. My remedial classes are full of adults who wish they'd done it right the first time. It used to blow me away when they wrote things like "Why did they listen to me then? I was a kid!!!!!" or "I think I would have done better with my life if somebody had made me work, instead of letting me goof off when I whined about it."

Food for thought. Not dessert; that's for AFTER you force yourself to eat the stuff that's good for you.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

You've mentioned a couple of times obligations and commitments. I guess that is where I find the problem...I don't feel that students should be obligated or committed to completing assignments during a break. The truly defeats the purpose of a break. Of course, as I said earlier, I truly do respect everyone's professional opinion. Having a variety of teachers with differing philosophies and teaching methods help create well-rounded and adjusted students.

15. Patch351

Patch351 Rookie

Dec 21, 2006

Just a few comments on college work over breaks....

I always had work over breaks and never found that too demanding or mean on the professors part. Its college after all! My family have pictures of me working at a computer many times in an album and they joke "This is my daughter celebrating Thanksgiving or Spring break!" Yes, I always took time to celebrate with my family (eat, talk and catch up), but after a few hours it was back to work. This would most likely happen over Thanksgiving break because it was shorter than most and the learning/work doesn't stop just because of it.

Six years later and the only thing I remember from college orientation in the dean saying "You need to be dedicated. There will ALWAYS be "better things" to do than study and complete class work, but in order to succeed the "better things" will have to wait."

I agree that giving students work during "breaks" is absolutely fine as long as its not totally excessive!

16. teach 4th

teach 4th Rookie

Dec 21, 2006

I believe that if the parents support it, homework over breaks is very productive. They actually lose a lot during these 2 weeks, and having them do some work is great. I don't expect them to work for hours a day, but 30 minutes a day really helps to continue what we are doing in class.

17. BuckeyeMom

BuckeyeMom Rookie

Dec 21, 2006

I give....

I am a nursing student entering my last semester. I have a huge workload, but I know at the beginning of every semester what is required from me. I can choose to work during my breaks or work ahead. I have managed to hold down a 4.0 (highest GPA in my class...) while working and raising kids. I think I have excellent time management skills.

I have never had a professor drop an assignment on me before leaving for a 2 week break and expect it to be turned in the day I return. I usually do work through breaks because I like to be ahead in case of unforseen calamities such as the stomach flu, but again, that is my choice. Right now I am on a 4 week break between semesters. I spent the first week picking up extra shifts at the hospital, but while I am on vacation I will not be thinking about school. At all. I could spend my vacation reading ahead for next semester or studying for my NCLEX, but life is about balance, and relaxation is also important for good health. I think I will spend some much needed time reconnecting with my family, getting some fresh air, and maybe reading something I *want* to read, not something that is assigned.

Thankfully, I was able to reach my daughter's teacher and she allowed her to pick another book. Apparently the librarian helped her pick out the book not realizing how difficult it was. She also said she thought it over and decided to move the due date for the book report back a week, so that is a relief.

She will bring her book on vacation and read when she wants to. The rest of the time she will be engaging her mind in other ways. Reading is only one of many ways that children learn.

Off to the ski slopes...best wishes to all.

18. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

Exactly.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

I remember posting a thread sometime in November about assigning homework over the break and everyone got onto me about it. They said break is sacred and something that should not be tampered with. Now, about Christmas break, I never receieved assignments during this break time. Not in elementary school, high school, and not even in college. For college it makes sense because right before christmas break we would have our final and then our quarter would be over. Anyways, I felt htat it wouldn't hurt to assing a simple assingment, but then other teachers convinced me that we work them so hard during the year that they deserve a break. My gift to my kids, though, was a book, so that's one way that I'm encouraging reading. But, I think of it this way, someone here mentioned why not show them what the real world is like. Well, why show them what real world is like? If they still believe in santa or in the tooth fairy, then, why not have them enjoy their child hood. They have the rest of their life to be an adult. Why not just let them be kids and have some fun for 2 weeks! really, we're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

20. BuckeyeMom

BuckeyeMom Rookie

Dec 21, 2006

I am assuming you knew about the projects in advance, not right before leaving for break. Thus, you had the choice to do them before leaving for break if you wanted to take the week off. I always have some project/paper/test due after a break, too, but they aren't assigned right before the break. I know about them at the beginning of the semester usually, sometimes a bit later, but always in plenty of time. The week after Thanksgiving, I had a huge paper due and a test. Two of my children had birthdays that weekend, so I made sure to get the paper done and studied for the test ahead of time so I could spend time with them. If I want a vacation from school I have the choice to work ahead and get the paper done before spring break, not during. To me, that is how you learn time management, by actually having the opportunity to make choices and manage time on your own.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

QUOTE: "They have the rest of their life to be an adult. Why not just let them be kids and have some fun for 2 weeks!"

YES, YES, YES!!! I'm all for preparing students for their future reality, but their current reality is making childhood memories which will hopefully last a lifetime!

And with that I'll try to let this die. :)

22. wig

wig Devotee

Dec 22, 2006

This was a very interesting thread. I confess I have mixed feelings on the subject, especially after reading everyone's posts. I think perhaps reading a 200 page book, a report, and a project is a lot for many children that age, even though some would sail through it. In fact, I KNOW if I assigned that to my MS students, only about three quarter would do it and would not really care about the consequences. However, if the assignment had been made right after Thanksgiving, to be due the day they return from Christmas break, then it is a choice on the part of the child and his family as to when this work would be done.

I find it interesting that so much emphasis is placed on BREAK. In my opinion, a break does not mean to take a break from learning. As teachers we know there are many other ways to learn besides having an assignment. However, as teachers we also know that it would not occur to many families to provide learning activities.

MANY years ago, when my child was in the third grade, the teacher sent home a letter which included a checklist of fun learning activiites that could be done at home, while traveling, etc. She also left parents blanks to fill in what wasn't on the list that could be considered a learning activity. She asked that they do five of them. When they came back they all reported on the things that they did. The majority did far more than five. In fact, my very unmotivated son did 20 activities. He was surprised that watching an educational program on TV could be considered "learning". Subsequently, looking up info in the encyclopedia was also "learning".

Obviously, this is a subject that people are not going to come to an agreement on.

23. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 22, 2006

I asked my first graders to explain their nativity craft (I teach at a Catholic school) and encouraged them to read more than play on the Playstation/XBox/Nintendo for the 19 days we have off from school.

As for me, I have progress reports going out the first week we return!! :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek:

24. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Dec 22, 2006

I think assigning homework over the vacation, Christmas or Thanksgiving, is just outrageous! These kids deserve a break from school just as much as the teachers do. I think some teachers forget what it's like to be children. I most certainly did not assign any homework for my fifth graders over their much needed FAMILY break.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2006

For what it's worth, my 8 year old will be receiving 7 books from Santa, his 6 year old sister 4. (The 3 year old is only getting 1, but has received 2 so far as gifts.)

The 2 older kids are also getting a write-your-own-storybook kit as well as a design-your-own-calendar kit.

That's all before the grandparents and aunts and uncles start. So, assignment or not, my kids will be doing lots of reading. But if we do get a snowstorm or the opportunity to get together with family or friends, there will be no assignment hanging over their heads.

From the crowds at the local bookstores over the past few weeks, I'm fairly sure my kids aren't going to be the only ones receiving books. The difference, of course, is that they'll be reading for pleasure, not as an assignment that has a deadline. Brian's a funny kid: tell him he has to read 2 books, and he'll read 2 books. But give him 8 and he'll read them all.

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 22, 2006

We sent home addition war card games and hangman travel game with a copy of their up to date spelling list to help play it. No mandated assignment, but you know those kids will beg to play especially before they open the big ones a few days later. :)

27. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Dec 22, 2006

I too found this thread interesting.... I teach first grade and sent home only sight word practice. My students only have 1 week off. We worked today!

I feel that many parents in my school do not have time to play with their children let alone stress over a book report that I assign over a one week break. I just wish parents would spend quality time over the break but too many of my students do not get even that.. so in my district I would never assign a book report over our break.. When I taught 4th grade I gave my students a monthly book report.. they knew that ahead of time and really enjoyed it!
    All students are different and all parents are different. All teachers should make that professional decision of giving a break assignment based on their own students and parents.

28. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Dec 22, 2006

Personally in our district we are not allowed to make assignments over any of our holiday breaks (we have week long breaks in October, November, and February and April as well as 2 weeks in December) that are due within a week after the break is over. The only thing that we are allowed to do is request (if they so choose) that our children read over the break so that their fluency doesn't decrease too much. Our superintendent and his predecessor both believed that these breaks should be spent as family time not doing a ton of homework assignments. I would check on district policy and make sure that it is an assignment that should be given.

29. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Dec 22, 2006

So...

IF a teacher WANTS to give an assignment over the "BREAK" (any break of 4 days or more), students should know about the assignment ahead of time and/or also have time before or after the actual "break" to complete the assignment.

And, as always the assignment should encourage LEARNING, not FRUSTRATION for students or teachers.

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 22, 2006

I teach 5th and did not assign anything for the break, but gave them each 2 books as gifts and told them if they wrote a one paragraph summary of any books read, they would be able to get a book charm (my reward system for reading).

Otherwise, I clearly remember the feeling of exhiliration and freedom and chance to let down that vacation with no assignments brought me as a child. I wanted my students to feel that, too.

31. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 22, 2006

No 'over the holiday' assignment should ever come out of the blue. That is just poor planning, and a nasty shock for the students. And sure, finishing up early is always acceptable. But as for 'taking a week off school,' I would never do that, nor allow my children to do so. School is their job, and my job, and reliable people do not take unscheduled time off for pleasure. At least, not for a week or more at a time. My children's vacation times were on the calendar, as were mine and my husbands. We never asked for privileges.

32. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Dec 23, 2006

I believe this is going to be an issue that we all have strong opinions on. My opinion has to do with the age of the student.

As a parent of a high school student, I see no problem with him having an assignment over break. He knew he had to write a term paper since last month and it was due when he came back to school. He knew well in advance about the assignment and I think it is appropriate for a high school student to have assignments such as that. It is HIS choice that he has waited to get the assignment complete.

As a parent of a sixth grader also, I am glad that his teachers did not assign work. He is an avid reader and is reading daily. He also is doing many hands on things that he is not able to do during the regular school week.

As a fifth grade teacher, I assigned homework-
    1. Clean out book bags!~
    2. Enjoy time with your family

I am sorry, but I think quality family time is missing in most of my students lives because of their hectic busy schedules. I was hoping that the students could just be "kids" and play and just enjoy life for a couple of weeks. I push my students throughout the school year, therefore, I know that with two weeks off it is not going to hurt them. They will be able to get there MENTAL HEALTH back and rejuvenate their bodies,minds, and enjoy family time. ( JUST LIKE I NEEDED!)

To the o.p- I am hoping that you and your child did not stress too much. Hopefully, he will enjoy the book.

33. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Dec 23, 2006

I assigned Corrections over Thanksgiving. They had 4 school days and 5 holidays to correct and return the science work that several did poorly on or they would receive the original grade. I felt that they had 4 school days to complete it that the 5 days for Thanksgiving were just a bonus time to correct the work. Sad thing is most of them never take that opportunity to increase their grade.

My only homework for the Christmas holiday is to read for 20 mins daily and get their parent to sign their planner. Students who do this are entered into the monthly reading log raffle. (So its bonus tickets for the January raffle.)

34. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Dec 23, 2006

I have a few opinions on this subject.

First off, my entire team of teachers strongly stress family time and activities. For all of these reasons, we have not assigned homework to our fifth graders.

Second, I do recognize how a few weeks off can set a child back just as is the case during the summer, so I 100% support teachers providing fun travel games, etc. to be played and reinforce skills.

Lastly, my fifth graders received a project assignment about three weeks before the break and it is due one week after we come back. The majority of them will work on it during the break because they are so excited about it. This is the kind of assignment that is flexible and appropriate for a situation like this.

With all of this said, my homework for yesterday was as follows: "Relax, play, read, and enjoy your break! Project due January 8th." This leaves it open to them. They all recognize that if they don't plan well they MUST do it over the break or buckle down after it.

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2006

I think that assigning something BEFORE the break is different. If you give the kids adequate time to complete it, then tack on the break as additional time, it's fine.

36. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2006

My students will be turning in a completed creative writing assignment due the day we return. It was assigned on Nov.17. Over half of them were finished before last week. Even with all this time I realize that 3 or 4 of them won't have it. That's reality.
    My child's teachers did not assign homework. Trust me...I held my breath and crossed my fingers until I picked her up from school on Friday!! I was SOOOO relieved that she didn't have any homework over the break!!!

37. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Dec 24, 2006

I think this is a crazy assignement!! I sent home some optional homework with my kids over the break because some parents asked for some. Last year, I taught 5th grade and I only gave them work that was extra credit for the breaks. (They had a book report due two weeks after break, and many of them choose to work on it at that time.)
    This is a time for families and should be honored as such.
    I would deffinitly ask for the modifications that you mentioned!!

PS I noticed that some people mentioned reading in the car, reading in a moving car makes some people (like me) car sick!!

38. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 24, 2006

QUOTE: "School is their job, and my job, and reliable people do not take unscheduled time off for pleasure. At least, not for a week or more at a time. My children's vacation times were on the calendar, as were mine and my husbands. We never asked for privileges."

Privileges? It took me way too long to fully appreciate my mother. :)

39. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 25, 2006

My thoughts on this... break is break. If I taught something besides preschool, I wouldn't be assigning anything to anyone K-6th. As for getting the kids in touch with the real world. Save that for 7th grade and up.

As for reading while in the car. If any kids are like me, they would be puking their guts out. I cannot read and ride. I get such a sick headache and barf my insides out if I continue to do so. I always have been that way. My cousin could read a novel on the bus. I could barely read the title of her book without getting queezy. If my husband is driving and he asks me to read something on the map, I have to make it quick and hope the road is smoothe!

THey have 180something school days. That is plenty of time to get homework in. Some even assign summer reading, that is fine. At least they have 10 weeks or so to read them all. But when you get a couple of days here for a BREAK, a week there for a BREAK and if you are lucky 2 weeks BREAK for Christmas... then give the kids a break.

Sooooooooooooo that is my 2 cents.

I know there is no right answer in this... no one is going to be happy... so let's not be little anyone because they do or don't think these assignments are or are not appropriate. AGREE TO DISAGREE and PLAY NICE!!! :)

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Lori

40. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 27, 2006

I think this was a great idea on the teacher's part! Homework does not always have to be major work!