Homework Organization ?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by katiejaye, Jul 13, 2010.

1. katiejaye

katiejaye New Member

Jul 13, 2010

Sorry...this is the first year I have taught 4th grade. I have taught 6-10th and so I really have no idea what to expect with 4th grade.

How do you deal with homework? Do they write it down? Is there a special folder all homework for the night goes in? What about collecting it - different places for different subjects? It has been forever since I was in a self contained classroom. Any ideas are welcome!

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 13, 2010

My students write down their assignments in an assignment book that I make for them. I read and initial the entry each day. They have a homework folder that can be used to carry papers back and forth, but mine must also take home things like subject binders and folders.

As to turning in homework, I have a pink laundry basket that I use for collecting folders, workbooks, etc. I post a list above the basket each day of what I want turned in and I expect that they will read the list and place the appropriate materials there. I insist that no extra papers are in the folder...just what I have asked for.

I check in homework while my class is in French. I have a page for each day where I list the assignments and I cross off each name as I check in their paper. Missing assignments are circled and I chat with that student later in the day to see if it just didn't get in the folder or it wasn't done. Missing or incomplete assignments are finished in detention that afternoon.

4. corney

corney Companion

Jul 14, 2010

So your kids get detention for not completing or turning in their homework properly? Does the homework count towards their over all class grade?

5. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 14, 2010

Our students get detention for incomplete or missing homework and it must be completed and turned in that afternoon to be given credit. Yes, homework is graded and counts towards their grade in that subject.

6. mrsburf

mrsburf Rookie

Jul 14, 2010

My CT would have the students write the assignments in their agenda, which went home with their color card for parents to sign. They would take their homework home in their homework folder. In the morning, during AM work, she would go to each student to check their homework, see if the had it, and that it was complete. She never collected it for grades, but if they didn't bring in all their homework or it wasn't signed by a guardian, they would miss their afternoon recess.

I liked the system. It seemed stressfull at first because mornings are already crazy, but it was out of the way and completed!

7. corney

corney Companion

Jul 14, 2010

Whats to keep the parents from doing the work for the children.. My daughter does the majority of her homework with me, I don't do it for her but if she makes mistakes I point those out to her to be sure she knows where she made the mistake, correct it and be sure she doesn't continue to make them. I'm all for keeping a runnng tally of those children that complete and return their homework every day but not using the actual work as a grade.. I would rather give an average homework grade per marking period.. i.e. complete and submit homework 100% of the time you get a 100% grade.. only do it 50% of the time you get a 50% as a grade for each subject. Unless it's a continuation of work started in class, not practice work.

Just my opinon as a parent. I found my daughter received A's this past year because her grades were only based on her homework.. That is not a true sense of what her capabilities are.. All of her homework was practice work not work that was started in class to be finished at home.

8. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

Parents at my school are coached in how to help their children with homework. At parent orientation I spend at least 20 minutes going over how to ask questions, how and when to provide direct assistance, and when to contact me about a particular assignment. In 20 years I have had only a handful of parents who didn't follow these guidelines and it became very obvious that their children were getting homework grades that were not connected to what they were able to do in class. If I have doubts about who is doing the homework, or how much assistance they are getting, I talk with the parents and our director.

It sound simplistic, but I have asked parents not to do their children's homework for them and they don't. I know that this approach would not work in many schools, but it does for us.

9. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 17, 2010

I have a hw log that my students fill out daily. Their parents initial the day each day as well. When they come in first thing in the morning I do a quick yes or no check on if they did the hw assignments, so I know who has to go to the hw room at recess. Each assignment is collected during that subjects time (collect math during math). We go over/correct each assignment together before passing it in. I have a separate basket for each subject.

Grades are similar to Corney, did they do the assignment. Oh and before you ask, they get a week of recess and lunch detention for lying about whether they did the hw in the morning. They would rather go to the hw room for one recess than lie and end up off the playground for a week.

10. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 18, 2010

I teach 4th grade religion, but not a full day its only 35-40 min class. However, I noticed the teacher kept falling behind in grading, so i gave her some suggestions. I feel that keeping a notebook for homework works well for this age, or a notebook for each subject and you check the work their. What I do with my 4th graders is that on a daily basis I check for completion, sometimes I send out a helper to stamp it. When I pick up notebooks at the end of the 3-4 weeks (before progress reports) I go through all the notebooks and I check them for quality. It is religion so for the most part its easy work or common sense, not really any right or wrong questions unless its more specific. It works for me, so just a suggestion.

I have tried that though for my regular classes and it doesnt work well, maybe because they are older and they know that im not really checking the work...so they end up copying by the next time I check the notebooks.

Oh also keeping them in during their lunch time (recess) hurts them, so check work in the AM and for lunch hold them to do their HW. Just a thought.