Homework Motivators?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by MsFong, Jul 15, 2006.

1. MsFong

MsFong New Member

Jul 15, 2006

No matter what, every year there are always those few kids that don't do homework. I give incentives (raffle tickets, extra recess, etc) and take away recess and contact families to try to set up specific systems for that child but sometimes I run out of options. Anyone have any ideas?

3. E Bunni 99

E Bunni 99 Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

I do a lot of the same things as you to get kids to go their homework such as raffle tickets, lunch detention, etc. I also use something called Homework Football. On one bullitien board in my classroom I create a huge football field and assign each class a "player". Whenever I collect a homework assignment I ask the class to stand up. They can have a seat when I come around and collect the homework from them. If anyone is standing at the end (meaning they didn't complete the work) the class can not move forward on the football field. If every student does their work, the class can move 10 yards. At the end which ever class makes a touchdown first by completing 10 homework assignments the fastest (with everyone doing it) they get a reward like a movie, pizza party, ice cream, etc.

This works great to get kids with peer pressure. They know who is holding them back and have to get on them to do their work. A lot of kids get into buddy groups and check and call each other to remind them to do the work. They love the competition aspect.

It never fails you always have the one kids who does nothing though and eventually you have to make a decision on what to do. Sometimes I will remove them from the group and have the class move forward based on everyone else. You have to make some good professional call at times.

This idea does work and is great if you can have a competition among classes you teach. This year I am doing it with another teacher in the school- should make it even more interesting!

Sorry for the long post! :eek:

4. mrc

mrc Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

Hi, I allow my students to hand their homework in late for partial credit.
    If they stay after or have recess taken away you could have them make up the assignment even if you choose not to give credit for it. If you adopt a class wide reward, you could also have students with missing assignments have to make up what they've missed before they can participate in the fun activity.
    I will also tell parents a list of everything a child is missing - 9 times out of 10 I get a stack of make up work the next day. And after the student spends a couple days doing 2 or 3 assignments instead of one they get the idea that it's easier to do them on time.

5. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Jul 16, 2006

Does anyone allow time at the end of the day to begin homework assignments? I find that some of my students simply do not have the suport and guidance at home to do homework there. It's as if once they leave school, they forget about homework. I feel that doing it at the end of the day with my supervision still gets the practice in that they need. Any thoughts on this?

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2006

HI Ann, and welcome.

I don't, ever.

But I'm in a school where parents are paying a hefty tuition, so they are interested in their kid's education. It's also college prep. And we have "academic detention" for those kids who don't do homework. And it's part of the 1/3 of their grade dedicated to "quizzes and homework".

So it's not much of an issue for me.

But I would be interested to hear what other people say!

7. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 16, 2006

I found a cool idea on another website I was thinking of doing - it is called "amnesty day". You chose one day a semester and tell students about it only a few days before (this teacher does her amnesty day on a monday and tells them on a friday) and on this day you can turn in all backed up homework that was undone for 2/3 credit (she otherwise allows students to make up assignments for 50% credit within 72 hours oft he due date).

She doesn't tell them in advance (eg- at the beginning of the year) so she avoids having students just put off work and get it all made up at once. And every once in a while when a class doesn't seem to need it - she doesn't give it - so students don't put the word out from year to year. She also makes special amnesty days for students who are high need as part of a "back on track contract."

~J