Homework/Motivation

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2009

What are your ideas for:
    -Students who do not turn in homework?
    -Students who may refuse to silent read in class? Or fake read?
    -Students who refuse to write?

Let me know. These have always been major concerns of mine. I teach fourth grade (it shows up, but I just added that fact).

3. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

Students who do not turn in homework?
    I give students a homework grid with 25 squares on it. Every day that the student turns in all homework, he or she gets a sticker. When the grid is filled they get a homework pass for the entire night and they start over. I have found this to be a pretty strong incentive.

Students who refuse to silent read in class? Or fake read?
    Do you find that conferencing with students helps at all to keep them accountable? I know you do mini-lessons on finding just right books.

Students who refuse to write?
    I had a student this past year who just could not write without some assistance. Each time I would help him brainstorm by asking questions. Then we would figure out a good lead. Next, we would talk about what would go in the body and the details. Finally we would talk about ways to wrap it up. The thing with him was that he had to think about it verbally before he could actually write. This is not the case with all kids, but for some it's a matter of seeing the whole picture as way overwhelming, and needing help to break it down.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2009

Maybe when I conference with students in writer's workshop, I can handle any students who have a very difficult time writing. Perhaps thoughts don't come easily to some, but I concern over students who choose not to write for the sake of being lackadaisical.

Thanks for your suggestions; I hope to see more.

5. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

Give PAT bonus - a whole-class peer based incentive which the target student earns for the whole class by meeting teacher's objective. Might go something like this: "Class, as you know Larry it seems is having a tough time turning in homework. Tell you what, if he turns in his HW tomorrow with approved form, neat, and accurate as we have discussed in class he will earn the whole class an extra five minutes of PAT. Let's all help Larry, okay?"

When I did this with one of my chronic non-doers two students phoned him that night to check on his HW. Another checked his HW on the bus. Two more checked his HW on the yard before school. When HW check time came I made big announcement "Class, Name has completed his HW and earned you five extra PAT minutes. Let's give Name a big hand!"

6. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

drawing a blank, but what is PAT? i love calling out the student that normally doesn't do the work...not in a negative way tho. i have one coming to me that i might have to try that with.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2009

I like that idea and was thinking about PAT before that since I read about it recently. I heard there are a handful of students in next year's class where turning in homework was a huge issue in third grade.

You can mention student names? Did turn-in rates improve for ___ after the one-time incentive?

(By the way, PAT is Preferred Activity Time. It is a component of Fred Jones' Tools for Teaching. Students work toward activities like whole-class review games like Jeopardy.)

Thanks, everyone. :)

8. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

Sort of hijack ~ anyone use a set up like BINGO for motivation? I know there are versions of HOMEWORKOPOLY, but I don't think that will work for me. I just got an inspiration that this might work with a BINGO setup...so I was wondering if anyone else already did such a thing.

I'm picturing a BINGO grid that students would stamp/sticker when that assignment is completed. After 5 in a row, they would BINGO and get a small prize.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2009

Maybe something individual would also work in this respect, though. The PAT is fantastic, and hopefully it improves homework turn-in rates, but what if the student does not care what the rest of the class receives, too?

10. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

In this type of scenario (not a discipline number) singling out students in front of the class is a judgment call (option is to make it private). You are not fooling anyone or taking a chunk out of Larry's self-esteem. It is not a secret. Everyone in the class already knows Larry doesn't do his HW. The power that comes from this type of treatment is Larry becomes a hero. In terms of self-esteem his standing in the class (probably not popular before) has ratcheted up a few notches.

Addendum to hero speech: "...And if Larry turns in his HW tomorrow and Friday he will, again, earn the class an extra five minutes. So let's all help Larry so we can spend more time during PAT."

Piggy back to this was Teacher Bonus for whole class if EVERYONE turned in HW. So after getting Larry kick-started the daily bonus was incentive enough to keep it going. Later I dropped HW bonus as class improved.

11. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

This is rare, not caring about relationship, but it does happen. With PAT no student is allowed to wreck the program for the rest of the class. This type of student is handled with another technique, Omission Training.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2009

Thank you. I ordered Tools for Teaching a few days ago, so I am looking forward to reading the material soon.

:)

13. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 30, 2009

Just be careful. I did PAT last year and did the exact example of "Larry". I know that his friend called that night to go over homework with him. Well, somehow he still missed something and was hysterical because he ruined it for the whole class.

14. AbbyR

AbbyR Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

I don't think I'd penalize the class - or a child - for doing something incorrect on homework. I just want an effort, and we can work on misunderstandings later.

15. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 31, 2009

With PAT, in this case teacher bonus, the class never loses time. It is not a penalty if Larry doesn't have HW or has errors.

Effort is exactly what you want. For a chronic HW problem the goal is movement not mastery. What's acceptable to the teacher in Larry's case is a judgment. Later, after Larry is working consistently, the goal can change to skill/concept attainment.

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 31, 2009

Even before I read this, I would never have the class lose out. He'd only be able to make opportunities better for the class. I may say "There has been a student who did not turn in his homework this past week, and we have the opportunity to earn 3 extra minutes (or whatever) of PAT time if he brings it in again."

Also... I believe Sue meant also that he didn't turn in part of the homework, not that he got something incorrect.

17. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 31, 2009

Yep Ms. Jasztal that is what I meant. I didn't take away time when he didn't bring it in, they just didn't get time. What I did after that was the few times he had homework I gave time for everyone having it in, while not singling him out for doing it. He slowly got the point that everyone gets minutes if everyone turns it in and he didn't get put on the spot again.

18. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

-Students who do not turn in homework?
    We make them do it during lunch. Once they finish, they can sit with their friends (if a teacher is present to check the work when they're done). We want to emphasize that it is practice that needs to get done. Many of our students are required to attend tutoring (thanks, state assessments) so doing it after school isn't an option, and I don't like denying recess.

-Students who may refuse to silent read in class? Or fake read?
    Park them next to you during groups and check on them periodically? Give them a post-it to write down one big idea per page, list characters, vocab, etc. and you check it regularly? I guess it depends on why they're refusing to read. Some of my students just can't read independently around their peers, so they get to read in an alternate space.

-Students who refuse to write?
    There's a computer application called Audacity that records audio; you could have the student record his/her story onto Audacity, then transcribe it. Or do it old-school with a tape recorder.