Homework Menu

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Deeena, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Jul 31, 2008

I would like to start a homework menu that would give students a choice of homework activities to do each night. Perhaps you have seen something like this for spelling where teachers offer students a variety of activities to pick from. Well, I would like to make a homework menu that would incorporate almost all subjects. Has anyone done anything like this? I saw a homework menu for language arts activities, but I thought it would be fun to include other areas of the curriculum in my menu. Let me know if you have seen examples of this or have any ideas. :thanks:

3. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

No concrete ideas for you, but I'm very interested in the responses on here. I think this is a great idea! I've seen the same with the spelling homework and think that carrying this over into other subjects would be beneficial to students learning and completing their homework too.

4. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 31, 2008

I havent but i like this thread. I would like to know more about it myself. I have a hard time getting my 8th grade to complete homework....Sorry

5. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Jul 31, 2008

Ok, I googled "Homework Menu" and haven't found too many examples. BUT, I did find a better defintion of it:

2) Homework Menus - Fresh from a class on "differentiated instruction," the teacher walks to the board and assigns all students to complete the odd-numbered problems from 1-30. We're all committed to the concept of fairness and equity, but these principles do not mean that every student does identical work. Rather, it means that every student has the same opportunity to learn. Some students will prove that they have mastered a concept in the first five problems and, growing bored, will stop work on the rest. These students frequently earn low grades despite high levels of proficiency. Other students struggle with the homework not because they are unable to master the subject, but because they have difficulty reading the material or focusing on the work. A Homework Menu creates a series of choices for students that will provide opportunities for proficiency for all students, while providing opportunities for challenge for those who are bored, and reinforcement and practice for students who are struggling. Some teachers create their Homework Menu in several columns, and students choose one or two problems (writing prompts, math problems, and so on) from each column. Not only does this strategy help to engage students, but it also provides valuable feedback for teachers based on the accuracy of the student work and the choices that students made.

Well.. let me know if you have any examples of this!

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 31, 2008

I do something called "Tic-Tac Math." (It's actually a teacher resource book.) There is a 3x3 grid. Each square has a different math activity. The student gets to choose three activities across, down, or diagonally, but they must be in a row, like in tic-tac-toe. You could easily make your own versions of this with language arts, science, etc.

7. Danigirl

Danigirl Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

I have a spelling "menu" as part of my weekly homework requirement. The kids have to choose 2 activities per week. The easy thing is that the activities work with any spelling list, so you don't have to be changing it constantly. Feel free to take a look at mine. It's on my website under "handouts" and then under "spelling activities." The address is http://teacherweb.com/OR/HorizonChristianSchool/MissDeHavensFifthGrade/apt1.stm
    Good luck! It sounds like you have a great idea :)

8. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 31, 2008

I love your spelling ideas for homework! I think it will really keep the kids interested in spelling homework and not getting bored with it! Thanks! :woot:

9. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jul 31, 2008

This is where the definition of homework gets confusing for me. Homework in my classroom is assigned work that wasn't completed during the school day. Occasionally it would be extended work on a topic that everyone has to do.

However, these homework menus - are they just for reinforcing skills learned in the classroom? How does one check to see that the homework is done correctly if each student is doing something slightly different from the other? Do you collect it and check? (That's a lot of work!) Do you rely on parents to go over it with their kids? Do you check at all?

10. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

A homework menu offers homework choices for students to complete each night. The homework choices follow the multiple intelligences so that the students have some differentiation in their homework. These menus are supposed to increase student motivation in doing homework because they get to "choose" their assignments each night. The teacher lists several homework options and labels them "appetizers," "sides", "main course" and "dessert." The student picks one activity under each section a night. The only menu I've seen was one made for all language arts activities. So, all the appetizers were assignments dealing with grammar, while the desserts were all writing activities, for example. You could have the students turn in the work at the end of the week or daily.

I would like to create a homework menu that would incorporate all subject areas. I would just really like to see a sample of this or talk to someone who has done this/knows someone who has.