Homework Liability Question!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Starista, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

Greetings to All!

How I love reading the wonderful advice on this site!

My question is the following:

What should the consequences be for a second grader who does not do his/her homework?

I am going into my second year teaching second grade and struggled last year about this!

I really want to establish a consistant plan for homework!

Should they change their color on the behavior chart? Last year, I struggled with penalizing a child who missed an assignment the same way I would a child who is being unkind, disrespectful, etc.

Should I attempt to factor a homework grade in my gradebook? (Just marking off if they completed homework, but not grading it based on if it's done correctly). I am unsure how I would do this, as sometimes they complete just one side of a workbook page and do not tear it out (we check it together on the SmartBoard).

Should I have a seperate "behavior like" chart for homework? Perhaps a huge incentive chart where they get a sticker if they completed homework for the night? Or week? But then again, what is the incentive?? I really do not want to reward them for doing their homework, as it is expected "responsibility" behavior in second grade.
    Or am I being too harsh?

I need a system that will work well for a class of 30 with one teacher (no assistant).

Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions you might have.

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

in 2nd grade, I use Homeworkopoly to motivate students to get it done.

Homework should not be graded, especially in 2nd grade. Some kids have no one at home to help and then others have a parent that does it all.

I would NOT have them pull a behavior card for something they didn't get done at home.

Some teachers would instead have them give up a more fun time (centers or recess) to complete it.

I think the best way to get kids this age to do their homework is MOTIVATE them. That is why I love homeworkopoly. Here is a link, check it out:

http://www.teachnet.com/homeworkopoly/

4. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

Thank you, Thank you so much my friend!!

I love the idea of having them complete it at centers or recess!

Thank ou again, I can't wait to learn about homeworkopoly!

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2009

I'd honestly much rather have them do something authentic and interactive in centers than ABC order or whatever homework, if you're asking me! :) Sorry for coming in and saying that!

6. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

I do the sticker chart for them turning in their homework. When they fill it up, they get to go to the treasure box. I also have students complete HW at recess. I know that with the background of many of my students, they don't have anyone to help them with homework, so sometimes they will do it after morning work if they have extra time. It just depends on your students.

7. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

Thank you all so much for these wonderful suggestions ~ I can't wait to talk them over with my second grade team! :)

:love:

8. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

I have a positive learning chart in which each student places a sticker on if homework is completed. If it is not, I ask them to please complete it for tomorrow. I honestly have to say that incomplete homework is not a major problem in my room. Sometimes I'll ask them to complete it before morning work if it is something I want to go over as a group. Most parents will drop me a note saying their child will make it up and hand it in the next day.

9. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

Treat it as a behavior since there is a section for it on the report card. If the student misses like 6 weeks of homework, then you can send home a progress alert and let the parents know that there is a possibility for their child to get an N on their report card. Just keep track of whether or not they are completing it.

In first grade, I treat it a little differently. For the most part, students who do not complete homework are not completely responsible. I don't feel right penalizing the child for their parents' behavior.

10. fawyndra

fawyndra Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

I reward turned in homework with class dollars that they can spend in the store later. (Like the sticker ideas). Unfortunately, I don't even have the choice for it to count towards a grade, but I suppose it is reflected on their tests if they don't do it.

I use this mentality as much as I possibly can- Reward the good behavior so that you don't have to punish the bad. Of course it doesn't always work and I have behavior cards as well, but most of my kids want the rewards for good behavior enough that they rise to the challenge.

Hope that helps!

11. polgacri

polgacri Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

At the Meet the Teacher Night (the week school starts) I make it clear to the parents (as I have already said to the students in class) that there will be homework every night, lasting about 20 minutes. The reason I do that is so that parents/students can get into a routine of doing it. If students forget their homework (they leave it on their desk and I zip around and check if they have it during calendar), I have a dry erase homework board and I list their initials and missing assignment. They will do it in their free time/recess. They will not get recess until the assignment is turned in (I may have to give them another copy). After a couple of weeks, I will mark it as a missing assignment in my gradebook for their weekly work grade and erase their name. Our school supplies a Home Folder with a "Bring Back" side and that, along with getting the parents on board and encouraging the students to be responsible, really helps. The students who get little help at home I will try to help during the day/SSR. I do not have them flip their card, as I try to use that for school behaviors. Most of the class develops good work habits, but sometimes I still feel like I'm constantly chasing the same five disorganized students for their missing work. I like the idea of a reward chart, but I do not want to have to maintain anything else! I may give the students who return their homework a reward slip that will be used for a drawing at the end of the week if it continues to be a problem.

12. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

I also use Homeworkopoly and it is a HUGE motivator. They get really upset when they miss an assignment because they know they can't play. I have a small section my board where I write "Missing HW", and when a child misses something, I write up their name and what's missing. When they turn in what's missing, I erase only the assignment, and leave their name. On Friday when we play the game (very end of the day) everyone gets to play who doesn't have their name up. Then they all get erased and we start over (unless something is still missing). I've never, ever had a student who kept forgetting work over and over because they NEVER want to miss the game. I love it!

13. teachingwithfun

teachingwithfun New Member

Aug 4, 2009

I use the classroom dollars too. Also I count this for the responsibility grade on the report card. At times I prioritize the homework. I really try to make parents understand forming good habits early - will lead to success later.