Homework in Junior High?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by teachingmomof4, Feb 17, 2007.

1. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 17, 2007

My son will be in 7th grade next year (which is the first year of junior high in our district). His 6th grade teacher has been assigning a lot of homework this year to prepare the kids for more homework next year. However, I have talked to several other teachers who have had children in jr. high and they have said there is hardly any homework. Do you assign homework each night and weekends?

He is a very responsible boy who always finishes on time if not early. I am just curious what others do.

Thanks for any responses.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 17, 2007

I give my pre-algebra class homework Monday through Thurs. Rarely on weekends.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 17, 2007

My students 5th to 8th grade have at least an hour, but no more than hour, thirty minutes a night. The 5th and 6th grader usually get it most of it finished between the end of the day and their bus. The boys waste time, and so have to bring it home.

5. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

Feb 17, 2007

My 7th and 8th math classes have homework nearly every night Monday-Thursday, but only on weekends if it is a long-term project or makeup work. They usually have homework in every subject every night. It has its pros and cons.

6. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 17, 2007

My son's teacher gives the students an assignment sheet that has the daily assignments done in class as well as homework. There is always math and usually reading and writing but not every night. I just wasn't sure if we should be expecting homework in each subject next year. He is currently being tested for Challenge classes and will most likely be accepted (according to previous and current teacher). I know those are more difficulty and time consuming with much higher expectations. I also know that he can handle it.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2007

I'm math.

My 7th graders get homework every night including weekends. But it's never a whole lot. It probably takes them 10 minutes or so.

8. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Feb 18, 2007

Our school tries to stick to the "10 min. per grade" rule for homework. So, 7th graders may have up to 70 min. of homework in total for all subjects. However, because all of our 7th grade students have a study hall or learning lab, 70 min of homework might equate to 30 min. at home.

9. wig

wig Devotee

Feb 18, 2007

My students get an assignment in nearly every subject, every day. However, the majority of the students get it done in class. What doesn't get done in class is homework.

However, they are supposed to read 100 minutes a week at home, write 10 minutes a night in their journal, and study their spelling and memory work.

10. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 18, 2007

My son has homework every night now (6th grade) and it usually takes him anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. This is homework that was not assigned in class. Then, I talk to other parents and find out there is hardly any homework. I can understand having some and even on weekends but some nights it really seems like a lot. He's a smart kid and very rarely, if ever, needs help. I can't imagine what it's like for those kids who struggle.

11. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

Feb 18, 2007

In my school, one way we can challenge brighter students is to assign them harder homework problems. Theoretically, it should take everyone about the same amount of time if the homework is geared toward their ability level. Of course, this is a lot more work for the teacher to come up with and grade different assignmets, and I can see it being looked down on at a lot of schools. It is done subtly, and the students appreciate the thoughtfulness we put into it. The students with the "easier" homework always have the option to and are encouraged to continue with the "harder" homework once theirs is complete.

12. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Feb 18, 2007

We also use the 10 min/grade rule as a guideline. Therefore, the average 6th grader, on a night with an average amount of homework should be about an hour. My eighth graders usually come close to 1 1/2 hours. It can be a little more or less depending on the circumstances. Ie someone who struggles in math might be 1 1/2 hours on a night where there is a lot of math or they might have to go to the public library to check out books for a research project. For the last couple of weeks, they have all been going home with little/no homework on Thurs. as the music teacher has been ill and we have let them use that 50 min. period as a study hall. I have to say however, that I don't give separate homework assignments. I generally give the work for the day, and whatever you don't get done in class - that's what you have for homework. In my English class, most students usually end up taking home their spelling list and whatever novel is currently being studied.
    The principal feels that without a reasonable amount of homework each night in junior high, the transition to high school with homework from multiple classes/teachers that has to be completed is would be difficult for the majority of them.

13. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 18, 2007

I would have to agree. That would be quite a shock. Our principal requires that we give separate homework (aside from work not finished in class) each night. Therefore, that is the reason he has math and reading each night.