Homework Ideas Needed

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Butterfly4, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Jul 4, 2006

I would really be interested to hear what others do for homework. I mean, what types of homework do you give your children.

I'm going to be head teacher in a new class in the fall, when I've taught in the past (more than ten years ago) I never gave homework (I was teaching 2.5 - 3.5 yr olds). Now I'll be doing VPK 4/5 yr olds and want to give some kind of homework once a week. But want some creative things (not just writing the letter A ten times..blah blah blah).

I saw one post I liked where someone said they send home a nursery rhyme and a highlighter and have the children highlight the letter for the week in the rhyme. I'm looking for different things like that.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 4, 2006

4. JaZMum

JaZMum Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

How about an alphabet book. Children look through magazines etc to find pictures that start with the letter of the week. They cut them out and glue them into their book.

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2006

We have a program called "Read to Me, Talk with Me," which involves the kids checking out a book once a week, reading it every night with their parents, and then doing some sort of "response" that they bring to school and share orally with the group. It comes from an actual public program that my district purchased years ago, and is now out of print. You could do the same thing without the purchased program, though. Just gather together an assortment of books, and type up a quick homework project to glue in the back of each...they can be really simple, like "Draw your favorite part," or more crafty, like making a paper airplane for a book on airplanes.
    In our program, each kid has a special bag that the book and the project gets transported back and forth to school in, but you could also easily use the large ziplocks.
    Kim

6. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Jul 5, 2006

We send out homework once a week, and most of it is geared toward kids and parents working together. For color homework, we have them hunt in their house for our color of the week. They can either have the parents list the things they found, or the kids can glue/tape the items onto the page. (these turn out really cute!)

Sometimes, we have an environmental print scavenger hunt- kids and parents look for labels that start with the letter we're learning about, and all the labels brought in are either turned into a book or a poster.

7. lex

lex Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

One thing that my daughter's teacher did in preschool was a letter of the week bag. They sent home paper bags with the letter of the week printed on it and she had to search through the house for things that began with that letter to bring in and share with the class.

8. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Jul 5, 2006

To go along with the color of the week, on Friday's I have show-n-tell where they bring in an item that color. Later on, I may do that with a letter of the week.

9. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Jul 5, 2006

We do this but it is given out at one of our Pre-K PAC meetings. I always tell the parents to do the letters as we introduce them in class. On long strips of paper a little shorter than a sentences strip is written "A" says /a/ /a/ /a/ as in (and a picture of an apple), "B" says /b/ /b/ /b/ as in (and a picture of a ball). The children cut out the pictures just as you said and glue it in their books. I also put these same strips in my pocket chart and review them a couple of times as I introduce the letters and reviewing letters we have already done.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 6, 2006

My grandson's kindergarten class had a Mr. Bear that went home with a child each night. The child then wrote in Mr. Bear's Book what they did together. It's not homework for every child each night, but made the homework project very exciting for the child.

11. JaZMum

JaZMum Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

I love that idea Blue. I know of a class that does that also.