Homework~ how much?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by 1stGr8, Nov 4, 2007.

1. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Nov 4, 2007

I know what the statistics say, but I was curious how much other first grade teachers give a night. I currently give 1 math page, double sided (usually only about 7 problems between both sides) and word study.

On Halloween I let them do their math homework in class, and I was AMAZED at how quickly they do it! I would say they(most of them) finish it in about 2-3 minutes!! I was thinking of adding on more HW..but I'm not sure!

What do you do??:thanks:

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2007

Basically I have them read nightly and fill in a reading calendar, hopefully they are studying their spelling words, I don't check up on that or send worksheets home for it. And once in a great while there will be a math homework assignment that is right from our math series. I never just send home worksheets. I am not a worksheet teacher. I feel I work the kids so much at school that they need to go home and be kids. With the reading and spelling practice that is all I feel they need. I have always heard the rule of thumb...10 minutes of homework per grade level so actually with the reading and spelling practice I am giving to much. I know teachers that send home homework packets that are full of worksheets and that is not for me. First of all I don't want to grade all those worksheets.

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Nov 4, 2007

My kids have a homework packet each week which includes a reading log (the student or parent fills out the title, author, minutes read, check whether it was a just right, too hard, or too easy book, and color in the face that shows how they liked that book. Last year I had a written response but I didn't really like how that worked out so this time they are responding but it's quick and everyone can do it. They are expected to read 10 minutes Monday through Thursday.

Also included is one math worksheet as a review for a skill they learned that week.

I also have a spelling tic tac toe where students can choose three spelling activities.

So homework shouldn't take longer than 20 minutes. 10 minutes for reading and 10 minutes for an assignment (either math or spelling tic tac toe).

I'm having a HARD time getting homework back from students this year.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 4, 2007

I would say for first grade: 10 minutes a night + nightly reading.

6. bunkyb39

bunkyb39 Rookie

Nov 4, 2007

I have a reading class and my homeroom class. For reading, I send home a packet on Monday that is due on Friday. It has their spelling words in it and phonics/reading pages (usually with 5-7 sentences that need to be read and completed). They are to practice their spelling words every night and read and complete the sentences. Towards Thanksgiving I switch some of the phonics pages out for fluency passages and comprehension questions. I have found that if I send the packet home on Monday, some complete it in 2 days while others do 1 page a night. That way they have a choice on how much homework they want to do every night.
    For math, we have a new program that requires us to send home a page M-Th that is due the next day. It is a lot of reading and I have found I get less homework turned in with math than for reading when I can send home a packet.
    I agree with the 10 minutes a night + reading. Even if the parents read to their child. A little will do because as they get older, they will get more. I see this is an introduction and starting point for what is to come :)

7. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Nov 4, 2007

I teach K, but I know what our 1st grade teachers give. They have one math sheet (usually a good 10-20 problems), reading (either a sheet or to read their AR books), and a spelling activity (abc order, sentences, 3x each).If they pass their spelling pre test on Wednesday, they don't have to do Thursdays spelling homework.

8. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Nov 4, 2007

As much as you can assign. Idle hands are the devil's workshop.

9. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2007

First graders do not need loads of homework to stay busy.

10. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Nov 4, 2007

Hm? How so? 'Splain to me Ms. Emma.

11. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2007

Well they can play with their friends, have quality family time, take a pet for a walk, make a puzzle, be a child....well, the possibilities are endless I would say!

12. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Nov 4, 2007

Pets are for the moment but math homework lasts a life time.

13. AlliBob

AlliBob Rookie

Nov 4, 2007

My students have about 25 minutes of homework a night. 15 minutes of that is reading. I usually give a spelling and a math worksheet every day. The math corresponds to whatever lesson we had that day and the spelling activities vary from writing them 5 times, unscramble, word search, ABC order, and put each word in a sentence. On Thursday I assign a book report where they have to write 1 to 2 sentences about their favorite part and draw a picture. I think homework a little bit of homework is important. It reinforces basic skills and teaches them responsibility. :)

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 4, 2007

Not quite: it just feels that way when one's run out of ways to procrastinate.

15. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Nov 4, 2007

My students have reading every night except Fridays where they read a book that is like 8 pages long and then have their parents write it in their folder and sign that they read it. They have a Math worksheet that takes maybe 3-5 minutes, and a phonics worksheet that takes maybe 2 minutes. I do not give out Science or SS homework unless it's some type or project that I need them to do. I agree that 1st graders do not need a lot of homework, however I feel that as long as the homework is reinforcing what is being taught then giving them homework for that is okay. Also, we must keep in mind that next yr they will be 2nd graders, and I know for a fact that at my school 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders have quite a bit of homework. So even tho we want them to be kids, we cant baby them and shelter them from having homework either because sooner or later they will have hours of homework and they need to be prepared for that.

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 4, 2007

Homework Packet Assignments

When I taught first grade last year, this is what I did:

Monday: Write Spelling Words 3 Times Each
    Math Worksheet
    Read for 15 minutes

Tuesday: Write Spelling Words in ABC Order
    Math Worksheet
    Read for 15 minutes

Wednesday: Write Spelling Word Sentences
    Math Worksheet
    Read for 15 minutes

Thursday: Fill in the Blanks Worksheet (I make up a worksheet with sentences that have a blank where they need to write in the correct spelling word)
    Math Worksheet
    Read for 15 minutes
    Study for your spelling test!!!

This worked for me last year, and I'm using the same format this year for my 2nd graders, except they need to read for 20 minutes instead of 15. I send home a reading log to document this requirement.

I hope this helps! :cool:

17. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2007

You are so wrong....pets are memories that last a lifetime.

18. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2007

Back to topic 1stGr8. A lot of good ideas on this thread. You know your students and the families. Create a homework plan that works for you, the students, and the parents.

19. Victoriateacher

Victoriateacher Rookie

Nov 5, 2007

I do not believe in giving homework, especially at this age. I encourage nightly reading, and have an incentive program for every 25 books read, but no homework. I am truly shocked by the number of teachers who assign nightly homework. I don't know any first grade teachers at my school who do. Where I live, homework can not be used in assessment (which I think is a good thing- it's not a valid assessment imo). Families are more than welcome to practise skills taught at school, but I'm not about to provide them with homework.

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 5, 2007

Nightly reading and practice sight words.

It never even occured to me to assign things like math for homework at this level.

21. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2007

:eek: :down:

22. maroki

maroki Comrade

Nov 5, 2007

I send home a packet of homework each Monday that is due on Friday. We walk to read so I send home reading homework for only my reading students; they are supposed to read for 10 minutes a night. The rest of the packet consists of a mixture of math, science, social studies, and writing (both stories and handwriting). I'll send home an amount appropriate to the week; usually I give them 1 sheet per night.

The student population I work with is extremely poor; many of them don't have any supplies at home (except for pencils I send home), no pets,and they live in apartment buildings. They tell me that they enjoy doing homework because I send home fun worksheets, and I think it isn't a bad thing if it keeps them from watching TV all night.

23. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Nov 5, 2007

Isnt it hard for them to transition into 2nd grade with not ever having any homework? I mean Im not saying give it to them, but like I said I know that the 2nd,3rd, and 4th grade teachers give quite a bit of homework in my school, and if we didnt give homework at this age they would be swamped when they get older because they wont know how to manage their time and get it done.

We dont use homework as an assessment. We really only grade them on whether or not they do it. Which then some people may say that it's pointless to give them homework in that case, but some programs provide homework for them. Our Phonics and Math series does. Not to mention, it's not like 1st graders get hours of homework either.

24. Victoriateacher

Victoriateacher Rookie

Nov 5, 2007

Honestly, I don't know many teachers in 2nd and 3rd grade who assign homework. Perhaps a weekly package starting in 3rd grade would be appropriate, but not before imo. And if you're marking them on whether or not they did the homework, then you are essentially marking it (even if it is a checkmark). If that goes towards their final mark then you are assessing it. We are not allowed to assess anything that goes home. All homework is optional at this level.

25. maroki

maroki Comrade

Nov 5, 2007

I guess it depends on the area because where I am, almost all 2nd and 3rd grade teachers assign homework.

26. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Nov 6, 2007

If by lifetime you mean a year or two, then I fully agree. If however you mean to imply that the gerbil I had when I was ten will bring me comfort in my geriatric years I must furiously disagree.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 6, 2007

Jarenko, I rather suspect that more posters on A to Z will endorse the comfort potential of gerbils than will endorse the comfort potential of the Pythagorean theorem or of a clear understanding of the causes and consequences of the Hundred Years War.

28. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 6, 2007

I just want to make a clarification to my previous post: I do not assign random homework! The assignments that I give are direct reinforcements of what I taught that day during class. I believe that homework (when properly assigned) should be an important component of a balanced program. First graders can always benefit from extra practice at home, so why not give them the opportunity to do so?

Anyway, we all have our own preferences (homework vs. no homework). However, this is what works for me!

29. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2007

Let's stay on topic here. If you wish to debate memories of a pet then start a new thread in the Chit-Chat forum.

30. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 6, 2007

I am happy to see the trend is to not give a lot of homework in first grade.:2up::2up::2up:

Kids learn in many ways other than sitting at home doing a worksheet. In fact, that is not one of the higher levels of learning, it is usually rote memory. Rote memory is useful, as in learning math facts, etc. But for higher learning and brain stimulation, you need to involve experience, movement, investigation,etc.

I hate worksheets. :eek: There, I said it.

My first graders read about 3-10 minutes M-Th, depending on their level. They study their sight words for memorization. The memorize our weekly verse. That is their usual homework. Occasionally I will give them some math homework, but it is an activity. Last week their math homework was to go to the store and count how many different kinds of apples were for sale. Buy 5 apples. Eat an apple every day and count the seeds and tape them to a piece of paper. Then write down the name of your favorite apple. We will discuss the results as a class, graph the favorite apples and the # of seeds per type of apple.

To me, this is good learning. Math in life. Sitting with your mom or dad and sharing an apple, and investigating the seeds. Maybe they will take their seeds home and plant them.

Good grief. I hate seeing little kids weighed down with homework. They need family time, dinner time, bath time, chore time, music lessons, sports. I don't think kids should have much homework till jr. high at least.

31. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2007

I agree with Emma. If you wish to debate this, start a new thread. Emma has given the OP some good advice. I don't understand what your point has been with any of your posts on this thread.

32. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2007

Hopefully you dont have any pets..... I recently put a beautiful baby (a 13 year old Lab) to sleep.......... and I will hurt for her the rest of my life......

Major

33. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2007

Major, that is because you understand how much our pets (babies) mean to us. They are the true definition of unconditional love. I'm so sorry about the loss of your furbaby.:(:(
    :hugs:

34. Victoriateacher

Victoriateacher Rookie

Nov 6, 2007

bonneb- you stated it perfectly! I believe there is WAY too much focus these days on kids working all the time and not enjoying childhood enough. Our workaholic generation has made for a very unhealthy group of people in general. If we want our children to value physical, emotional, AND intellectual growth we need to foster all three. Children spend 6+ hours a day at school learning. That is enough!

(of course, educational real life learning like the type of homework you give with the apples is a perfect way to make their learning meaningful.)

35. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Nov 6, 2007

So when exactly do they start giving out homework where you live? And no, they are not assessed on their homework. They get a check of they turn it in and an X if they dont. This goes towards their "Turns in Homework" marking. The only thing they are "graded" on is their actual assessment. That is what is marked on the report card. I wouldnt like to assess homework really because if they take it home you never know who helps them or does it for them in some cases. So I can understand why homework wouldnt be an assessment.

36. Victoriateacher

Victoriateacher Rookie

Nov 7, 2007

okay, but what is that assessment check used for then? Just for your own knowledge of who did their homework? I guess that would be useful.

Honestly, I think the homework discussion is a big debate amongst elementary teachers. However, in the two schools I've been in, I would say that homework is perhaps started around 4th and 5th grade, but it's entirely up to the teacher. I know of a few in those grades who still don't believe in homework.

Nightly reading is another thing though- I will always reccomend nightly reading.

The reality today is that families are overbooked, burnt out and working far too hard (imo). I strongly believe that we need to stop working when work is over (and for kids that's 3pm). Children should enjoy their time outside of school doing active things, getting plenty of sleep every night, and spending time with their families. 15-20 min of homework may not seem like a big deal, but it is so not worth the stress I have seen it cause for so many families.

I actually have a child in my class (first grade) who comes to me to show me the "homework" her parents make her do (which I think they find on the internet- worksheets and stuff). That's great and all, but guess who is the one student in my class with the worst work habits, always falling asleep and very rarely engaged in the lesson? I wouldn't be surprised if it's because she is overworked.

37. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Nov 7, 2007

I would. I find the idea laughable that one can "overwork" a first grader to the point of exhaustion with a little extra homework. You may have a point that too much homework is a bad idea, but I do not think this example is connected to homework as much as other activities in the home.

38. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Nov 7, 2007

I had me a Malamute from the age of 10 until 23 who died a horrible and painful death after ingesting rat poison. I was sad to see her go, and of course I have memories of her but I would hardly count her death day as being in the top ten most painful moments of my life.

39. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 7, 2007

Love deeply, grieve deeply. Obviously Major's grief is an indication of the love he had for his dog. What is or isn't painful for you makes someone else's grief no less real or important.

40. Bridiecakes

Bridiecakes Companion

Nov 7, 2007

Homework can be useful because it allows parents to see how children are doing with their school work. I think it helps families to see where a child might need more help. I have often heard parents say, "I have noticed Johnny struggles with____ at home too."

41. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2007

I gather from your reply that the death of your dog doesn't rank very high on the pain and grief scale... :( ...... and that's too bad. To me all dogs are very special.

Did someone intentionally poison your dog ....... or did he/she stumble on the rat poison through gross negligence on someone's part?...:unsure:

Major