Homework - how do you do it?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teaching1st, Jun 4, 2008.

1. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

Jun 4, 2008

I'm curious on how everyone does their homework for their class. I think it would be nice to share ideas on what each of us does.

Do you have a weekly packet or do you send homework separately everyday? I sent home a packet on Friday and then would collect them the following Friday.

How much homework do you give to your students? I gave my students 2 sheets to complete plus their reading.

How do you grade homework? Do you just check it off by their name in your grade book or do you actually go through each problem and grade it? At first I was going through every single problem and correcting it. Then I was told that for homework, I should just check that they completed it.

What type of homework assignments do you give out?
    They would have their spelling everyday, except on Fridays. I would have one sheet with phonics on one side and math on the other side. My students would also have their decodable books that they would read nightly. On Monday their parents would read it to them and then they both would talk about what the story was about. On Tuesday, their parents would read a sentence and the student would echo it back. On Wednesday, they would read the story together. On Thursday, they would read it to their parents all by themselves.

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 4, 2008

Do you have a weekly packet or do you send homework separately everyday? I send home hw daily. My students copy down hw after they finish mw. I had a lot of student check out before the end of the day. This cuts down on the "I did not get the hw."

How much homework do you give to your students? I assign reading and math Monday-Thursday, and science, ss, and la at least twice a week.
    How do you grade homework? Do you just check it off by their name in your grade book or do you actually go through each problem and grade it? I check to see if it is correct. This lets me know who needs more help with what. If they know you are not checking to make sure it is right, they will just write down anything. I don't assign more than 5-10 math problems. If they can do five, I'm sure they can do 25. They also get credit for completing it.

They would have spell,vocab, and comp nightly (except Friday). They may have to write spell words in alphabetical order, or write the base words if they have prefixes or suffixes. Write a meaningful sentence with vocab etc. Math, reading, science, ss, and la hw is whatever concept we are working on.

I have an assignment notebook for hw. They must get it signed by their parents nightly. I also post the hw on teacherweb. I display my hw on the ACTIVboard every morning.

4. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jun 4, 2008

1st Grade Homework

Do you have a weekly packet or do you send homework separately everyday? This last year we would send a homework packet in Friday folders and it would be due a week from the following Monday. My teammate and I are trying to find ways to cut our copying and since we both feel homework is not the "best" practice for our kids we are doing something different this year. We will be having the kids bring in a shoe box at the beginning of the year and we will make math boxes with the supplies the kids need to play a lot of our games (we use Investigations). Then each week the kids will get a reading log on one side and either a reading response or a math review on the other side. They will also play the games at home on a regular basis. We will also be making the parents a bookmark with reading suggestions and response suggestions on it to keep on the fridge.

How much homework do you give to your students? See above. This year it was a reading log, a reading response and a math activity. Occasionally a science/social studies activity.

How do you grade homework? Do you just check it off by their name in your grade book or do you actually go through each problem and grade it? Just check it off. I had some students that I could tell didn't do the work. I didn't feel it was fair to grade them. Also, in first I think homework is more about being responsible for your learning and turning in an assignment.

What type of homework assignments do you give out? See above. I think our new system will work a lot better next year.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 4, 2008

Do you have a weekly packet or do you send homework separately everyday? Last year I did a homework packet, the year before I send home nightly homework and a reading log. Next year I will continue to do homework packets, send home Monday and due Friday.

How much homework do you give to your students? My students need to read for 15 minutes and fill out a reading log. They do one activity a night. Three nights a week they will choose an activity on a Spelling Tic Tac Toe and one night a week they have a math worksheet. Next year in second grade I will bump it up to 20 minutes reading and a reading response, a spelling activity and a math review worksheet each night.

How do you grade homework? I use a checklist and just check of if they did it or not.

What type of homework assignments do you give out? See above!

6. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

Jun 4, 2008

Thank you for your responses. It's neat to see what other teachers do. It also gives me more ideas on things I could do for homework. Hopefully we will continue to receive a lot more comments on how others do homework. :)

7. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2008

Do you have a weekly packet or do you send homework separately everyday? No homework packets for me and no daily homework except a daily reading calendar.

How much homework do you give to your students? Besides the reading calendar, I send home an occasional math assignment and an occasional science or social studies project.

How do you grade homework? Do you just check it off by their name in your grade book or do you actually go through each problem and grade it? I feel if it is important enough to send home then it better be important enough to grade, although I don't record the grade. I ALWAYS will check the few homework assignments I send home and either put a grade or a comment on it. Why send something home if you are not going to check it.

I feel like I work these little kids to death during the school day so I will not give them worksheets to do at home and certainly not daily worksheets. First of all, I am not a worksheet teacher. Like I said above - a daily reading calendar and an occasional math, social studies or science paper.

8. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

Jun 6, 2008

What type of science/social studies projects do yo have your students do at home for homework?

9. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

Jun 6, 2008

Emma35

I also meant to ask, how do the parents feel about their child not getting homework except for a reading log? I went a couple of days without homework except for reading and I had parents contacting me wanting to know why their child wasn't getting homework. Just curious. Also, what state are you from?

10. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 6, 2008

Homework 'n' stuff...

Do you have a weekly packet or do you send homework separately everyday? My school uses the Harcourt Trophies Series as a part of our literacy program. They have a great resource called, "home-school connection" that correlates with our story of the week. It is a sheet of paper with high frequency words, along with 4-5 hands on activities parents work on with their children. That goes home on Monday, and is due on Friday. Some do it and some don't. Then in the middle of the school year, I sent home "Independent Homework" which was a math/language sheet from Drops in the Bucket, it reviews skills. Oh, and study their spelling words.

How much homework do you give to your students? home-school connection sheet, Monthly Reading Log (Pizza Hut Book It program), study spelling words and their Independent Homework

How do you grade homework? Do you just check it off by their name in your grade book or do you actually go through each problem and grade it? Home school connection- I look at, and give them a sticker on their chart. Parents had to work with students, and not all of them are able to, it just gave parents homework that wanted it. Monthly Reading Log- no grade, the kids who completed it got to have a reading lunch date with me. Independent Homework- This was "no excuses homework" I did grade (completion) we checked it in class with a crayon, students who did it got 1 point for a grade. Those who didn't got 0 points. If a student turned it in late, I wrote late at the top.

Reading activity sheet- hand out Monday, due Friday.
    Reading Log - Monthly due at the end of the month
    Independent Homework (math/lang)- given Wednesday due Friday

Spelling Words- Listed in newsletter sent home Monday, test the following Monday
    Last year was my first year in first grade, and this was all I could take on. I am hoping to get some literacy theme bags ready for the fall. Hope this helps! :D

11. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

Jun 6, 2008

Thanks for sharing! :) I would be interested to hear how your literacy bags work out. What are you plans for them?

12. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jun 6, 2008

Do you have a weekly packet or do you send homework separately everyday?
    Our grade level team does weekly packets. The weekly packets include spelling, reading, and math. The spelling homework is the same very week. The students get a list of the words for the week. Then they have to do various activities with them throughout the week. Monday- alphabatize, Tuesday-Write 3x each, Wed.- Write a sentence with each word, Thursday- Study for spelling test. Then we include usually one reading comopo. worksheet and two math sheets...depending what we are working on. The packet is givin on Monday and due Friday. And of course their reading logs, but this is something that can be done at home by choice.

How much homework do you give to your students?
    2-4 Worksheets and the daily spelling (see above) Occasionally I give then a family project or a book report.

How do you grade homework? Do you just check it off by their name in your grade book or do you actually go through each problem and grade it?

Homework is ten percent of their overall grade. I usually check it. I give 100 for mostly accurate and neat homework, 90 for accurate but not neat and a 80 if they tried! 70 % if it's late- no matter how correct it is. I give a zero if it is not turned in. I feel like this way the students and the parents take it seriously. It doesn't take me much time to go through it and see how they are doing and make a couple of comment and record there weekly homework grade. The students really do take heed to this, becuase after their first report card they make more of a effort to work ahrd at homework.

Spelling, math, reading comprehension and reading logs. Sometimes a home family science or social studies project. Our team usually gets together and decide what the students need more or less of as far as skills and we base the homework off that.

13. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2008

Science projects I did this year:
    Animals- the kids researched an animal found at our local zoo, we did this in class using the computer lab and google. At home they had to create a diorama of that animals habitat. For weather they had to track the weather for a week either on line or by watching the news. They brought the results in and we graphed it and discussed it. For pushes/pulls they had to create a car that rolled using boxes like cereal boxes or other food boxes.

Social Studies-they had to make a timeline of their life and creatively display it.

Can't think of anymore right this minute.

14. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2008

I have been teaching for a long time and never have sent homework packets home and never will. The other first grade teacher does but I have never had a parent question it. You see, I am not a worksheet teacher, I use as little worksheets as possible so I rarely send them home. Occasionally in our math series there is a homework worksheet and if it is project based then I will send it home. If it is just an ordinary worksheet then no way. I do not order or use any practice books for reading or language arts.

I know some districts require teachers to send home daily homework and I would have a real problem with that. I feel that the reading calendar covers many concepts in language arts so I feel that is sufficient.

I am in Michigan.

15. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

Jun 7, 2008

Thanks for sharing Emma35. I like your science/social studies project ideas. I may try some of them.

16. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

Jun 7, 2008

I like your idea of giving the percentages. I'm not sure how I would do that with my districts report card though. They have it under life skills and where we give them a O (outstanding), S (satisfactory), or N (need improvement). So its not actually a percentage of their grade.

17. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 7, 2008

I have ordered a book called, "Home and Back with Books." I have done some browsing on the web. Currently trying to figure out a cheap way to get/make bags. Some people use backpacks(kinds expensive), others use Ziploc bags (wear and tear), I was thinking of sewing some..any thoughts?

18. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jun 7, 2008

(2nd grade) Students get a math and literacy packet on Monday and it is due on Friday. Next year (3rd grade) it will stay the same, for me packets are easier.

Math-a front and back each night - so 4 pages for Mon-Thurs
    Literacy - a front and back each night - so 4 pages for Mon-Thurs and a reading log where they have to read 20 minutes a night and then write a sentence about what they read. Next year for 3rd grade I am not going to do a reading log but they will have a book report due about once a month.

How do you grade homework? Do you just check it off by their name in your grade book or do you actually go through each problem and grade it?

Homework is graded by the homeroom teacher just based on whether it is completed and on time.

Then the math/literacy teacher grade it for a grade-I have a rubric that I use for this part.

Literacy Mon-Wed is a skill that was focused on the previous week and on Thurs it is a comprehension worksheet.
    Math Mon-Wed is a skill that was focused on the previous week and on Thursday is a logic thinking sheet brain teasers and stuff)

19. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jun 7, 2008

I send homework home on a daily basis.

In the past I have given reading, writing, math, and spelling as homework on a nightly basis (Friday's excluded). This last year I focused on Spelling and Reading with a little Math and Writing practice thrown in. I usually send home Math if it's a concept they can use extra practice with and writing/phonics to practice CVC. CVCe, rhyming, blends, etc...

In the beginning I make a point to grade and return all of their homework. As the year goes on I simply glance at it to see that the concept is being grasped and that it is completed.

Monday through Thursday I send home Spelling. They create spelling cards during centers on Monday and place them in their START folder. Each night is something different. Read and spell them out loud to someone. Write each word three times. Unscramble the words, Use 5 words to make 5 sentences, rainbow writing, etc... I change it as the year goes on.

Monday through Thursday they also take home their reading book. Sometimes it is their decodable book, other times it is their reading group book or a self chosen book from our class library. On nights that it is a self chosen book the assignment will be to read it with a parent. Other nights they are to read it to a parent, on their own, etc.

Once or twice a week I will add is Phonics and or Math.

20. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 10, 2008

I am with Emma on this. My kids have reading homework every M-Th; they study their 5 sight words; they study their memory verse. This is their weekly homework and all tied together. Occasionally, they will have a math, science, or social studies project, but they will have 2 weeks to work on the project. Mid-year, they start having spelling words which tie into the sight words. They are usually expected to use their words in sentences each week, but sometimes we get sick of that and do something fun like a word search, word shapes, etc.

I too feel that the kids work hard all day, they have lots of activities after school, and family time is at a premium. I don't believe 6 year olds need to be laden down with homework. I am also very hands on and don't really like giving out worksheets - I try to evaluate in other ways and this also cuts down on my paperwork. But I am at a school where I have a lot of freedom. As long as I am covering the material I can do it my way. When parents complain about homework, I just smile and encourage them to spend the time reading together or playing a board game or card game.