Homework - he said, she said

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by snickydog, May 2, 2007.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 2, 2007

How do you deal with a student who says they turned in something when you know they did not? I feel like I'm going crazy, but I am absolutely certain the student didn't turn in a mini-project; however, the mom is acting like it is my fault or it's lost or something. This student has had missing assignments in the past in other classes.

Thanks!

3. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

May 2, 2007

Can you leave that grade out of the equation when you calculate his final grade? That way he is neither penalized nor rewarded. I don't know if his mom would go for that.

4. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 2, 2007

That is possible - our electronic gradebook allows for not entering anything, so you don't get the points but you don't miss the points either.

5. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

May 2, 2007

Only problem is that if the kid didn't actually do it, he gets away with it.

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 2, 2007

Exactly. I'm about 99.999% sure he didn't do the work, or at least that I never received it from him. The number of kids we have who claim we lost something who then "magically" find it in their binders is amazing.

7. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

May 2, 2007

How about saying, you have a X amount of time to come up with it or bring me a new one and if not the grade is thrown out?

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 2, 2007

What grade is the child and what type of a mini-project was it?

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 2, 2007

I had a date stamp made that includes my name. They turn in their papers into a box that has a slit big enough to get papers into, but not out of. I also stamp all papers with my name/date stamp either before they turn them in or before the students leave class.

10. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 2, 2007

8th grade.... it was a project worth a quiz grade (so significant enough that a zero drops his grade two letter grades). It was a storyboard with a little bit of text under each cell. The students had a day to work on it in class, and it was due the following day.

11. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 2, 2007

Great ideas! Where did you get the name/date stamp and the box with the slit?

12. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 2, 2007

By thrown out do you mean a zero or just nothing entered (no gain, no loss)?

13. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

May 2, 2007

Yeah, because if he turns it in and he gets a good grade it could raise his average but if he doesn't he loses the opportunity. Since you're pretty sure he didn't do it in the first place he might do it to get a grade, and if he doesn't he can't raise his average. So he'll be penalized in a sense for not turning it in. The ball is in his court and you'll see if he cares enough to do it.

14. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

May 2, 2007

Where do you get a date stamp made?

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 2, 2007

Any stationery store or office supply store should either be able to do it for you or tell you where you can get it done.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 3, 2007

I got the turn in box from Calloway House. The slits are big enough for papers to slide into, but not big enough for fingers to get in and get papers out. You have to open it from the back. I make sure mine was located to where it would not be easy for the students to open it without me noticing. Here's a link:

Paper Turn-In Box

I had the stamp made at an office supply store. I've had several custom stamps made. This one has the adjustable date. Across the top of it says, "Assignment Turned In". Then the date shows, and then below it says, "Mrs. Hill's Class".

17. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

May 4, 2007

Now that's a really great idea right there! ;)

18. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

May 4, 2007

I've had this happen...and now when kids turn in projects they must hand it TO ME, into my hands, and I write my initials or make the mark of the day on it and put it in a box behind my desk. That way there is no doubt. It's a bit of a pain, but it sure stopped the "he said she said", which was a bigger pain!

19. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 4, 2007

I found one on the OfficeMax website.... It's pricey ($30ish) but sounds like it's totally worth it!

20. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

May 4, 2007

If a student doesn't turn in a homework or project, they have to give me a note explaining why in place of the homework. I put that into their file, and I have proof (in the child's own handwriting) I did not lose it.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 4, 2007

I've done that when proctoring an exam for another teacher.

If a child chooses not to hand in an essay, he has to put his name on a paper, state "I did not do part II" and sign it.

Otherwise the teacher will go nuts searching for somethingn that was never handed in.

22. CmsTigerGuy

CmsTigerGuy Rookie

May 5, 2007

I tell students to keep all work that is graded and returned at least until report cards come out. I also explain to them that if the argument is between them and my gradebook, my gradebook wins every time. Of course, I also staple all homework papers together immediately after I collect them. I do this in front of the class, and I explain that the reason for it is to eliminate the "I turned it in, you must have lost it" argument.

23. elynne75

elynne75 Rookie

May 10, 2007

If you are that positive that the student did not turn it in, then he didn't turn it in. I explain to my students that with a track record of not turning things in that he has already demonstrated that this is a pattern. I would offer X amount of time, then take it for full credit as a peace offering for the parent.

24. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 10, 2007

You can get a stamp of of Vista Print for alot cheaper than $30. When I collect work I always collect in in alphabetical order by student numbers I assign clip them together and then on then put a stick not eon the front saying who didn't turn it in. I do this right away so that I can elimante no names and question those who didn't turn it in. I usually have students do this for me, unless it is a quiz/test and there isn't enoough time. To ensure that peoples names cant be changed when sorting all names must be written in ink.

25. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 10, 2007

This probably doesn't apply with the projects, but when my 3rd graders would claim I lost their work, I looked through the stack of papers with them watching me. When it wasn't there, I gave them a chance to look for themselves (the papers weren't graded). When it STILL wasn't there, I told them to look again in their backpack, desk, folder. Most of the time it miraculously appeared. If it didn't, they had to do it over.