Homework - frustrated

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by teachercat, Oct 22, 2007.

1. teachercat

teachercat Rookie

Oct 22, 2007

Ok, this post is about 2% question and about 98% venting frustration. :(

I'm sure it's like this at many high schools, but at ours we have a lot of trouble with students not bothering to do homework. The administration tells us to assign them mandatory tutoring to make up assignments. If they don't go to tutoring, we give them an office referral. Sounds great.

I teach six classes, and I usually have about ten zeros per class. So, I write up all my mandatory tutoring slips (an immense amount of paper work) and give them to the kids. Only a few of them actually go to tutoring, so I write the office referrals (more paperwork). The office sends them back saying they won't take any action until I call the parents first. I don't have time to call sixty parents! :mad:

Ok, here' the question. Anyone have any good ways to get teenagers to do their homework besides calling all their parents?

3. koocat008

koocat008 Companion

Oct 23, 2007

I know not everyone is big with rewards...but why not do a class raffle? Every time you do your homework, put a slip of paper into the big jar. Have a prize every few weeks.

If you have an online grading system, why not print out grade percentages every few weeks and have these "problem" students take home and get signed.

You can also have free time period every couple of weeks, and have problem students sit and work through it all.

BTW, do you assign hw every night? Make sure you give them some time in class to get started. I would only call parents if student is failing. IF they don't hand in homework, but are averaging a C in class due to tests/quizzes, I would not even bother. But if a student is on academic warning, then I would take the necessary steps, even if it is 60 students. Good luck :)

4. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Oct 24, 2007

Make sure they can do the assignments. At the beginning of the year, I gave small assignments that anyone could do like write a paragraph about everything you remember about fractions. I had about 98-100% return rate. Now that homework is algebra they are scared and can't do it as easily. Return rate dropped to 40%.This coming quarter, I am going to graph the percent completion for each class and give a reward for the best class. Reward could be as easy as a homework pass or as planned as a class party.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 24, 2007

I don't give rewards for homework. This year I started collecting everything they do and grading it. Yes its tough, but it insures that they actually do the work. If they turn it in late they get a zero, if they never turn it in they get a zero. Late work is a hassle for both me and them.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 25, 2007

This is my policy also. And I agree it is a BIG hassle grading all their work. But, I do get results. This 9 nine weeks I had two class - one 26 and one 30 - where every single student turned in every assignment. I stick to due dates, my late policy and every homework assignment graded.

7. teachercat

teachercat Rookie

Oct 28, 2007

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I do grade and return their homework. I even post up exceptional work on the board.

I think part of the problem is that so many of them are shooting for a 70% (and subsequently hitting a 50% or 60%). It's hard to inspire them to work hard.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 28, 2007

And for me its all about the results, my test scores are higher this year and they are harder than the ones from last year! I couldn't ask for more. The kids only expect to get a 70 on their homeworks? My kids expect close to 100. My homework is usually not that hard, so they get close to it.l

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2007

look for homework-opoly on the elementary sites. I actually call mine Mylastname-opoly, and it is for more than homework. They have to have had perfect behavior, no lates, no unprepareds, etc. and they have to have all their work in for the whole MARKING PERIOD to play. My kids really like it and they get excited when we play on Fridays, and they get mad if they don't get called to play and immediately figure out what they are missing and get it in.

10. teachercat

teachercat Rookie

Oct 28, 2007

No, they shoot for a 70% in the class, which is the minimum passing grade. :(

11. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Oct 29, 2007

Connecting homework to class assignments they like to do sometimes works. For example, if they have to turn in homework in order to have a choice about what project they are assigned, they might consider it more important. Giving bonus points for completing homework might also help. They could possibly add point to tests or classwork.

12. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 29, 2007

I also grade everything, even if it is just checking their notes and giving them 0, 1,2, or 3 on it for completion. We are not allowed to give zeros without giving them a chance to make it up - the theory being if the assignment is important enough to give, it is important enough to ensure that the student does it. I agree it is a pain. We do not have to accept it once the assessment has been given. We have a noon study hall where they eat their lunch in silence and then work on incomplete assignments. It is fairly effective.

However, I teach grades 5 - 8. So I don't know if this is effective in hs or not.

13. Nick11

Nick11 New Member

Oct 29, 2007

I don't have this problem, since my students are the advanced ones who want to do well.
    Another teacher at the school does have this problem with her 8th Grade math class.
    According to her, this is her method:
    I don't know if I completely agree with this method...
    I personally would collect, and grade each homework assignment. If they don't do it, I would contact the parents, and take all necessary action, no matter if it's 100 students.
    My job is to make sure they are getting an education and learning something - and to ensure they become better people; and I will pursue this until my students graduate from my class.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2007

Depending on what you teach, though, it can be impossible to grade, and I mean really grade and read, every single scrap of paper turned in. If you teach English, this is near impossible. Everything is in paragraph form or essay form. Nothing is multiple choice or one or two word answers. I spend a lot of time on essays and other summative assessments, but I can't spend that kind of time on formative assessments. Generally, its either done or it isn't, although I typically pull a few assignments out to really grade.

15. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 30, 2007

Besides 5-8 SS I also teach 5/6 Lang. Aers. So, I understand what you are saying. Even on my level that is not possible for the writing assignment. I give them points for completeness (0-3). I could not possibly trad everything daily. But if they do not think they will be held accountable, some will not do it or put the least amount of work into it..