Homework for self-contained life skills room?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Jun 20, 2009.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 20, 2009

I'm wondering about the feasibility of expecting homework from a transitional life skills classroom. I didn't assign any homework last year. But toward the end of the year, I had a new mom tell me that her son's previous teacher would just send unfinished work home and they would work on it together. (This student had a really hard time working in the classroom though.) This kind of made me wonder about assigning homework.

When I was student teaching at a highschool (4-track gen ed classes with high number of IEP students) - I noticed that no homework was assigned. The kids didn't even take text books home unless they asked to borrow them! :eek: This came as a total shock to me. I remember back in '85 lugging several books home and doing homework - - and I was in 4-track classes too. :confused: Anyway, I guess I assumed that unless you were in 5-track classes or higher, homework was no longer the norm. So I definitely didn't expect it from my kids who were in jr. high but worked at a preschool-2nd grade level.

I wondered if any of you assign homework and what kinds you might assign. ??

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2009

I send general stuff and try to stay consistent. We have a reading log and they're supposed to read or be read to twenty minutes each night. I do one subject per day. (Monday spelling,Tuesday math, etc.) I also send home weekly news articles for the kids to look at (adapted). They include a fun cooking project (optional).

I don't think it's out of the question to assign simple stuff that reviews skills. If it's a hardship for a particular child, I wouldn't stress over it.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2009

Again, I'm in totally over my head when it comes to special ed.

But how about some real life-skills kind of stuff that mom or dad can sign off on? Like setting the table or making your bed or cleaning out the silverware drawer? Keep a log of how much gas is in the tank and how many gallons it takes to fill it up? Not to get more work out of the kids, but to get them to practice the kind of stuff they'll eventually have to do on their own??

5. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jun 20, 2009

I think it might be a good idea to send their unfinished work home to be completed. It might give the children a feeling of responsibility and might even to some bonding between child and parent.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2009

I am in the minority of ESE teachers in my district who send homework. My theory is that I am trying to expose my students to as many real life experiences as I can get. Even my lowest children take some kind of homework home. Most of the time I send learning centers home for the parents to work on with their child. I also send a reading log home.

7. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 22, 2009

Hey Becky Sue, do you get your centers back pretty consitantly? The kiddos I had last year... I couldn't get two of the ten to return their parent/teacher notebooks or field trip forms. I'd be scared to send anything else...

Also, can you explain your reading log concept to me please? Sounds interesting!

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2009

Zoom...About halfway through the summer I have a get together with all my parents and children (new and old families). We talk about new things for the next school year, summer activities, etc. It helps set the stage for developing as good rapport with my families. Then we meet again just before school starts and I talk about the learning centers. I really stress the fact that I personally paid for and constructed all my learning centers and how important it is to get them back to school intact and on time. The final thing is to get the children to understand that they won't be allowed to take another fun activity home until the first one is returned. So most of my centers get returned. I absolutely don't send another home until the first comes back. Last year I had a family who didn't return things like they should and it took notes, phone calls, and prodding from the daughter to get her center back. After that first incident, she was better about getting things back. Last year I ended up losing pieces from only one center. And they were returned piecemeal when the family packed to move.
    I think I have a good record for getting notes, folders, etc returned because the kids get rewards. Yes...I bribe...a hand stamp does wonders!
    My reading log goes home weekly. The children have to read with their family five nights out of the week, write the title of their book, and have the parent sign. If the log comes back on time on Friday, the child gets to visit the treasure chest. Yes...another bribe! I have children begging to call home when they get to school on Fri if they forget their log. It has to be turned in at the beginning of the day on Fri or the treasure box incentive disappears.
    Again, the training I provide to parents and students works because I have my children for several years. You know how getting a routine established makes life so much easier for those of us who teach the low, low ones.
    Sorry this has gotten so long. Let me know if I can be of further help.

9. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 24, 2009

Wow. Where do you guys meet? That's really going above and beyond! You make me sound like a crappy teacher. heh

INTERESTING! Is this some sort of notebook that you made? How do you know the kids are really reading? I could see my parents signing but not doing it. Or maybe they would. Hmm! How long have you been doing this? What problems have you run into with it and how did you fix them?

Your posts can NEVER bee too long for me. Seriously, as a 2nd year teacher, I eat advice for breakfast. :D I saw on the roll call thread that you teach k-5. Do you really have 5 and 10 year olds in the same room?? That must be so hard! Here in central IL, we do k-2 and 3-5 intermediate. I can't imagine having such a wide spread in one room. :eek: How do you manage?

I also wondered - since you teach the same kiddos year after year - if you could help me out with another question - different thread. I'd really appreciate your input! Thanks. :)

10. spedtchr

spedtchr Rookie

Jun 26, 2009

I sent homework over the weekends for my high school students. I mainly had higher functioning students that could do Menu Math type work, so that is what I gave. If they couldn't do that, I told them to practice signing their names or writing their address/phone number.

I think it's a good idea to involve the parents if possible with homework. I might try this next year, as well! :) Especially if it can be doing something in the community, like paying for items or meals.