Homework for preschoolers

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by .miss.teacher., Aug 23, 2009.

1. .miss.teacher.

.miss.teacher. Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

I just graduated college at the end of July. I got a job teaching preschool at a child care center. The average age of the children in my classroom is about 2.5. The director of my center told me I need to give them weekly assignments such as drawing a picture that starts with our weekly letter, cutting pictures out of magazines, practice writing their names, etc. I need more assignments though. She says every week needs to be something totally different but I can't really think of much for children THAT young. HELP!! :)

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

Okay, my first comment is WHY? Why on earth do 2 1/2 year olds need homework? A 2 1/2 year old can't usually draw a picture that looks like something, cutting skills are very rudimentary, writing is scribbling, the alphabet is something to be focused on later, and they should be enjoying life not doing homework.

That being said, if you HAVE to give homework, make it simpler, relevant to their lives, not too much hassle for their parents and more developmentally appropriate -
    -help mom or dad sort the laundry into lights and darks
    -sort the silverware
    -find 5 red things in your house
    -find rectangles in your house
    -discover things that float and sink when they take a bath
    -help mom or dad cook something
    -find a big toy, a small toy, a medium sized toy
    -sing/recite a nursery rhyme or song
    -count your parent's fingers
    -run in a park
    -try to balance on 1 foot
    -walk backwards
    -listen to someone read you a book and talk about the pictures

Sorry if this sounded negative - sometimes as teachers we have to do things whether we agree or not which is why I tried to provide you with more developmentally appropriate ideas.
    If you need more ideas, let us know.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 24, 2009

:yeahthat:

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

Me too.

Totally NOT appropriate for these kids.

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 24, 2009

scmom- I could not agree with you more!

7. .miss.teacher.

.miss.teacher. Rookie

Aug 27, 2009

Thank yall SO much for the ideas. I also agree that they shouldnt have homework this young but I also have to follow the rules at the center where I work. I did things on my homework list last week such as, family game night, visit the library, and having the parents read to the children for about 15 minutes or so.

8. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 27, 2009

This is getting ridiculous. Instead of kids burning out and dropping out at 16, we're gonna have them dropping out at 10 or 12. How can we stop this madnes?

scmom, excellent ideas.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2009

10. .miss.teacher.

.miss.teacher. Rookie

Aug 28, 2009

oh my gosh, scmom, you are the best!! Thanks so much for your help. I hate the thought of giving them homework but until I can get the funds to open up my own center, I'll have to follow their rules. Most of the children don't do it but two or three do. The only thing I strongly encourage is for the parents to read to the children as often as possible to build their vocabulary

11. m3f1229

m3f1229 New Member

Sep 1, 2009

Hi miss teacher, I am new to this site but in my preschool we have been doing this for a while. (My class is 2.5 and turn 3 by may) Some parents do it and some don't we just do not make a big deal out of it. We tell them it is to incorporate some quality time with the parents and child. Some of them work so many hours that doing a little thing once a week with their little one slows them down and let them see what their child is able to do. We do a get positive feedback from a good majority of the parents. One year we cut it back to once a month and the parents were the ones upset, so we went back to once a week.
    Most of the time it is connected with the theme of the month like apples or the color red for sept. The first hw. for our children is a picture of themselves so they can help me make a name card for the year. We also ask the parents to send in a book they love to read together. It does help to bring home and school together. a little imagination does go a long way.
    Other ideas we do are;
    snack-color or shape for the month.
    Pictures cut from magazines with their favorite sport or activity.
    Favorite TV show and why.
    Color or disguise a turkey so he won't be on the table on thanksgiving day.
    cut out and decorate a pumpkin

Good luck I hope it is not too much of a hassle.

12. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

One thing we do is send home a shape (apple, pumpkin, turkey..) every month and have the family decorate it and send it back to put up in the classroom.