Homework for kindergarteners?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Preeti, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Preeti

Preeti Rookie

Aug 14, 2005

Hi all, do you all give your kindergarten students homework? I give them few handwriting practice sheets but many parents demand for more. I'm not sure what kind of homework to give them as we usually do group work and activities in class. Please share any ideas that you might have. Thank you! :)

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2005

I send home a handwriting sheet with the kids every Friday. It is really just a review and to teach parents our D'Nealian style, as many aren't familiar with that style of manuscript. I also have monthly calendars to keep track of minutes, where I ask the children read (those who can) or are read to for a total of 200 minutes a month. When parents ask for homework, I always tell them the most important thing they can do for their child at this age is to read to them daily! There will be time for homework when their kids get older. Just tell them, READ READ READ!

4. k bear

k bear Rookie

Aug 14, 2005

We are a homework mandated school. I send home a game or activity to do with a family member and ask that they read or are read to daily.

5. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Aug 14, 2005

On my kindergarten team we give homework twice a week. Tuesday and Thursday. On monday we establish the lessons for the week, Then we send homework on tueday, it comes back on wensday for review and we send homework again on thursday. It works great! The homework is a little more than practice sheets though. Maybe your parents are craving something a little more challenging.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2005

Alright, I'm going to be the descenting voice.........I don't believe in homework in K! If any homework is to be done, it should be reading everyday, and this, in the perfect world, shouldn't be viewed as "homework". These little ones put in a full day as it is..........homework just for the sake of giving homework makes no sense to me! I believe supplemental work can be taken care of during centers, etc. during the day. They will have many years ahead to deal with homework, let them go home and be little children and play.........after all, at this age, that is how children learn best! Don't want to start an argument, just wanted to add my thoughts. :)

7. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 14, 2005

I send home a homework calendar each month. It had ideas that families can do together to increase learning. I don't send home paper/pencil homework until after January. The calendar just shows parents how learning can take place anytime, anyplace and BE FUN!

8. teacher_99

teacher_99 Rookie

Aug 14, 2005

Homework in Kindegarten!

This will be my 3rd year teaching kindergarten and I have always given them homework. I only give it once a week, usually on Monday or Tuesday and is due back by Friday. I mainly give it for two reasons: 1. I want the children to get used to having the responsibility of being responsible for taking something home and bringing it back, this way they are prepared and used to it for 1st grade. 2. It gives the parents a better perspective on what problems the child may be having by having that one-on-one experience with their child. I have found many times that when I talk to a parent about a problem, they really don't understand it. When they see it, they grasp that problem more. For example, I had a child whose pencil grasp wasn't up to par, but the parents didn't understand what I was saying, until they saw the child try to write at home.
    So in my opinion there is no problem with it, as long as it isn't "busy" work. I usually do review of things from class like name writing, etc... or family projects, like designing a flag collage that showed the interests of the child or a diorama project we did for dinosaur week.

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2005

I teach PK, but even when I taught K, I was a no-homework teacher. I mean, they have 12 more years of school to do homework! Let them be little kids and play while they can!

My own daughter was a kindergartener last year, and she had daily homework, even over the weekends. It was a pain, to say the least. Thankfully, she's quite advanced, and could do it on her own in the car on the way home from school. This was her schedule:
    Monday - read her pre-decodable book (small, take home version from our curriculum) at least 3 times
    Tuesday - math (usually 3 sides of worksheets)
    Wednesday - poetry - the teacher had a notebook that came and went each week into which she glued a poem. Then, there were 5-7 activites to do with the poem, ranging from circling all the R's in the poem, to illustrating it, to finding all of the -at words and naming 5 more. This was extensive and took us a half an hour or more to do.
    Thursday - math again.
    Friday, Saturday, and Sunday - letter folders. Three new letters each week, one to do on each of those days. In the start, it focused on the formation of the letter -recognizing the shape. Then, it flowed into the sounds of each letter, and at the end of the year, we were working on the handwriting strokes of each. There was a list of activities stapled in the front of the folder, and they were supposed to choose one from the list to do with each letter. As the focus changed (from shape to sound, for example), the teacher changed that list.

Kim

10. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Aug 14, 2005

My school is also a homework mandated school, but we call it home learning. A home learning packet goes out on Monday and is to be returned on Friday. It is basically a review of what we are doing in class for the week. We also want the children to read or be read to 30 minutes each night. I am not really sure how I feel about homework for Kindergarten, but it is required for us to send it out. :confused:

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2005

Just curious, this probably is really a stupid question, buy why do schools "mandate" homework? I just don't get it.

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2005

Victoria at
    KinderKorner publishes a "homework" calendar for every school year. It basically has home learning opportunities and acts as a guide for parents- helping them see that everyday activities at home can be learning opportunities

13. Kinder123

Kinder123 New Member

Aug 15, 2005

Last year when I taught kindergarten, I sent home a homework packet on Mondays and it was due on Fridays. It was NOT mandatory to do, but did provide extra practice for the letters and sight words we learned each week. This way those parents who WANTED homework got it and those who didn't ...didn't HAVE to do it. Also, it was a good tool for conferences. If a child wasn't progressing, I would pull out their homework file and see how much they were completing and then suggest to the parents they do more homework :) Those who did turn in their homework were entered into a weekly prize drawing. This helped kids want to do their homework. I do agree with the daily reading as homework too...some parents don't realize how much it helps their kindergartener take on reading themselves!

14. Preeti

Preeti Rookie

Aug 15, 2005

I don't believe in homework either but I guess I will give them more homework but not make it mandatory to complete it.
    Thanks everyone!

15. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Aug 17, 2005

I don't believe in homework, either. I do have parents ask for it. I like Kinderkids advice. Tell them to read, read, read. So simple, yet so important!

Second semester, I do send their Letter People book home and ask them to read it to an adult. If they bring it back signed, the student gets a sticker. I don't even really keep track of who brings it back and who doesn't.

Brenda

16. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2005

I didn't like to give a lot of homework in K either -- I asked them to read at least 10 minutes every night. That was manageable. I also sent home a book-it sheet that they could turn in each month for a Pizza Hut certificate. I can't imagine asking parents to read with their kids 30 minutes every night. By the time you get home and have everyone fed and bathed, if you've got more than 1 kid, that's impossible. Another thing that was a lot of K kids went to bed at 8:30. Full day K was exhausting.

In the second half of the year, I had the kids take a leveled book home almost every night. They were really good about reading them to someone and bringing them back the next day because they got to read to the class when they did.

17. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 18, 2005

Last year I had to give homework every night but I didn't give it on the weekends. I would give one side of math and one side reading. No more than 3 pages. It was to help reinforce what we were learning and it was a good way for the parents to see what their child needed extra help in. Now the other teachers I worked with gave more than me. One would give it over Christmas break! Sometimes I would have parents ask for more homework and I would just say have your child read to you.

This year in my new school I believe we give homework 2-3 times a week. I usually just start off with practicing how to write their names.

18. Mrs. L

Mrs. L Rookie

Aug 24, 2005

I know that many parents ask for homework for their children, where I teach it is not recommmended to give homework to kindergarten children. I tell my parents that the most important thing that they can do is read to their child. And there will be plenty of years of homework ahead of them. If a child is seriously behind, I suggest ways for parents to help him at home, but the focus is still on reading to them.

19. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 28, 2005

I think one reason for homework in K (especially in a half-day program) is the high expectations set by state standards. I worked in a Title I school during final student teaching, with half the class being English language learners. There is no way they were going to "pass" the reading and math standards by the end of the year without additional practice outside the classroom. And sure enough, the ones who consistently did not complete it or who obviously didn't get the support at home, were the low students at the end of the year, and at least two of them were retained. We're talking not being able to identify and write numbers 1-30, successfully write first and last names, read a simple leveled book, etc.

I don't like pushing kids too much either, but sometimes circumstances require that we get in some extra practice on classwork. I imagine the standards will only get tougher in the future. Kindergarten is like first grade of a few years ago....

20. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Aug 28, 2005

Our reading program (ReadWell Kindergarten) provides for a weekly homework sheet. All it is a paper that has a very large area for drawing, writing, etc. It has the letter we studied that week on it and it encourages parents to help their child think of words that begin with that letter. I've had parents who really go all out each week and help their child cut out magazine pictures/letters and one parent who helped her son print pictures off of the computer. It's a good way for parent/child to share in the responsibility and work together.

I also do the Book-It pizza program. Read for at least 100 min. a month, record the minutes on the calendar, and turn it in- get a Pizza Hut certificate. The kids love that!