Homework Folders???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by LATechTeacher, Jun 18, 2006.

1. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Jun 18, 2006

I just got my first job teaching 3rd grade. I was wondering how to handle homework assignments. I like the idea of a homework folder but didn't know if that was too childish for 3rd. Anyone have any suggestions?

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 18, 2006

I'm not sure how you're planning to use the homework folders, but I definitely don't think it'll be too childish for 3rd graders. It helps them to learn the responsibility that they are going to need throughout school and life in general for that matter.

4. Carla

Carla Companion

Jun 18, 2006

I typed up a homework sheet each week with the week of ______ at the top. It had all the homework for that week. I didn't give out the handouts until the day it was to be assigned. The folder had to be signed by the parent. It also had their behavior circled for that day. If the folder wasn't signed I wrote "Not signed" and highlighted. (The parents hated this.) If they didn't do their homework I wrote, "not complete" on the top of the assignment. I kept this each week for documentation. I used the gradual release model and by the end of the year the children were doing the majority of the things themselves. It is definitely not to childish. You are actually teaching the kids necessary life skills.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 18, 2006

I used a weekly folder when I had third. I sent home the papers for the week and they were supposed to return it on Mondays.

If you laminate the folders you use, for whatever purpose, they will hole up better.

6. flteacher7

flteacher7 Rookie

Jun 19, 2006

Homework Folders

LATechTeacher,

I have homework folders for my first grade students (and will also use them next year in second grade). On the left side it is marked "Bring Back to School" and the right side is labeled "Keep at Home." I put labels that I print with these titles on the folders (along with their name on the front) so that I don't have to write it in each folder! By the time the folders wear out, I don't have to keep putting the labels in because the students and parents already understand the system (good idea about laminating the folders, though!!)

Anyway, everything that needs to come back including homework papers, projects, progress reports, etc. goes on the left and finished work, graded work, and notes from school go on the right side. Parents know that if it is on the right side they can keep the stuff and anything on the left needs to be returned. It works well, and with very little explanation! :)

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 19, 2006

Hi, LATech! Nice to see another Louisianian on here! :)
    I use Homework folders in 5th. I buy plastic, 2 pocket/3 brad folders for the kids at the beginning of the year. I give them a couple of sheet protectors to put in there (to slip in homework so it doesn't fall out of the pockts). I make monthly calendars with important school dates on them and room to write projects, etc on them, and the kids put these in the front. Then, we load them with loose leaf paper. They don't work homework in the folder, it's just to keep up with loose sheets if needed and to write down homework. I keep a test schedule on the board and we write down homework every day. They write these in the folder. I also use it for quick communication between school and home. Parents can write notes on it and I can reply. They work really well, and with them being plastic, they last all year.

8. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jun 19, 2006

Last year our school purchased plastic envelope type folders for the kids to use. I would NOT recommend that! They bend and crack very easily. We eventually had to go back to regular folders again.

This next year I am doing something very similar to Christy. I have the 2 pocket/3 brad folders and will be including a monthly calendar, their reading sheets, as well as their study guides inside the folder. We also have assignment notebooks at our school which is where they write their assignments. I also teach 3rd. :) They are a great age.

9. flteacher7

flteacher7 Rookie

Jun 19, 2006

Thanks for a good idea! My students sometimes lose their reading logs and then when it's time to turn them in they say they lost them! I always tell them to keep them on their fridge at home or in their homework folder, but a few of them always seem to misplace them. Maybe I will have them put their reading logs in a folder with the brads on it, and that way, they won't get lost! Thanks! :)

10. adria

adria Comrade

Jun 19, 2006

I just love this site, I learn something new and get new ideas every day. Since you guys are on the topic of homework folder, I would like to know is it a good idea for grade seven to have homework folders. I don't know if you guys are familiar with the critical reading series but within the text the FCAT compentencies are demonstrated. For eg. making inferences, using words precisely, author's approach, summarizing and paraphrasing, critical thinking and personal responses. I was thinking about giving the students a copy of the story along with the questions and I would like for it to be completed by Friday...

What do you think?

I am open up to suggestions..

11. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2006

I think ANY grade can benefit from a homework folder. I would make it a thin pocket folder so its not too bulky-LOVE the laminating idea (totally going to use that). I think it helps kids and parents stay organized. We don't teach organizational skills anymore (or some don't) and I think that is just what some kids need...especially since life can be so crazy)

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2006

[​IMG]

I bought one of these... It has a label for each subject, and when my students unpack in the morning they put their homework in the slots. I would then do a "homework check" quickly (all students stand and stretch, and sit down when I call their name). Next year I am thinking about having a responsible student go through it and abc it/make a list of the missing work. I then clip a zero slip in the kids agenda and they have to fill it out saying why they didn't do the assignment. It has really worked for me. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. I usually did it while they were working on something.

13. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Jun 19, 2006

Thanks so much! I think I might use the idea of the calendar in the folder and also laminating it! I just want them to be organized which will help me be organized!:)

14. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Jun 19, 2006

I also recommend having the folder be the same color for every student. That way it takes just a quick glance to see who has their folder out to take home or who brought it back. Mine are always green so my second graders get that it's the GO folder. They also have a red STOP folder in their desk for any unfinished work or important papers they need to keep at school.

You can get really sturdy plastic 2 pocket folders in red and green. The students that had those last year never had to have a replacement!

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 19, 2006

I've been making my homework folders today. I teach second now, but I did the exact same thing with my third graders.

Some of this has already been mentioned. I put a frog cutout on the front since my room is decorated in frogs. The left pocket has leave at home and the right has bring back to school written on it.

I also print out important information that they need through the year such as my email address, school phone number, student lunch time, conference time, and other contact information.

I put a skip counting chart since we are doing multiplication and division at the end of the year. I have affixes and their meanings listed, some opinion words, and reading skills such as sequence, main idea, and author's purpose. The order of the planets, and the names of the continents are also listed on their folder. I still have some room on the back of the folder so I think I'm going to print out some good vocabulary words for those overused words like big, small, and happy.

I use the heavy laminating film. It costs thirty cents more at the education service center, but the folders still look really good at the end of the year.

16. Carla

Carla Companion

Jun 19, 2006

I agree with the plastic pocket folders. I buy folders for my students at the beginning of the year. I buy just the paper kind. I will not use paper again if I can help it. It is better for something used daily to be more durable. I had one kid that never carried a backpack b/c it wasn't cool. He would fold his folder into fourths and put it in his pocket before he left my room. This was third grade! He didn't want the kids in other grades to see him carrying work home.

17. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2006

I also send home behavior folders once a week... They have the kids checks from the previous week, as well as work to take home, and a list of rules/procedures. I make mine bright yellow (better to see in backpacks) and they are due back in 2 days signed.

18. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jun 20, 2006

LTT - What is a zero slip and how do you use it? I struggle with homework and need to find something that works.

19. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 20, 2006

I laminate my folders for homework and classwork. It has saved me on purchasing and giving new folders to my students. I have one for their homework and one for their classwork. I also use labels in my folders which is a time saver and I am very happy about time savers.

20. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2006

Hey :) I struggled with it as well! It was a slip of paper (In the same style I would make my homework passes). It said something like" Your child has recieved a zero because they did not turn in :_Math wb pg 34__________. Please sign and return tomorrow.

I think I am changing it this year to where the kids write on there before the "Please sign" why they did not turn in the assignment.

If the child did not return the form, they recieved a check & I would call home. I would staple it into their agenda and parents were asked to look over/sign those every night.

Hopefully this makes sense!

21. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jun 20, 2006

Our whole school system uses plastic HW folders w/ the Return to School and Keep at Home pockets. We put a Rdg log in the clear front pocket and parents have to sign it nightly as part of the Rdg grade. I put the HW sheet for the week in the clear back pocket.
    The HW sheet is easy to do each week. I just pull it up on the computer and make the necessary changes. As soon as I have it ready, I copy and paste to schoolnotes.com. All my parents know to check there if their child doesn't bring home their folder.
    Once I sent home a HW page and forgot to change the spelling words from the previous week. A conscientious parent checked her daughter's folder in the carpool line and came back in to ask about the words. I was able to tell her the words and type them in to the website immediately. I was pleased when the next morning over half of my class had written their spelling words because they checked the website. This is a free site for teachers and parents locate you through your school's zipcode.

22. MsWilks13

MsWilks13 Rookie

Jun 26, 2006

I use regular folders, ALL one color.....

I send home a weekly newsletter on Mondays that has the Homework, spelling word list, and tests for the week. This year, i'm going to place a plastic slip in the brackets to slide in the newsletter.