Homework during the holiday

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bumble, Nov 19, 2009.

1. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Nov 21, 2009

We don't assign homework over the break- superintendent forbids it. We have the whole week off. (9 days counting weekends of no school) I had some parents ask what they could work on over the break since we have DIBELS and mClass math benchmarking beginning he day we get back from the break. I told them if they wanted to work on anything over the break the only thing I would suggest would be to continue to do the "beat the clock" fluency practice activities (1 minute timed passage) and to continue to work on missing number patterns and number facts (see how many they can answer in 2 minutes). If they don't practice over the break I will just hit it hard beginning on the 30th. They usually start with 5th or K so it takes them a while to get to us in 3rd.
    I normally give homework during the week Monday-Thursday (we aren't allowed to give it on Friday) that consists of Reading for 15 minutes minimum, some type of Math reinforcement for our skill, Math facts practice and sometimes an extra assignment to go with Science/Social Studies or Grammar/Writing.

2. goopp

goopp Devotee

Nov 21, 2009

I don't give hw over the break. It's bad enough that I have projects to finish for my master's class over the break...I hate it so I just can't do the same thing to my kids.

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Nov 21, 2009

I planned this short week to be a continuation of last.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 21, 2009

We're not allowed to give homework over Thanksgiving holiday (students get a whole week off... teachers have in-service days on Monday and Tuesday). Which kinda stinks, but I think too many families would complain if we did.

5. teachertexas

teachertexas Rookie

Nov 21, 2009

I teach 3rd and we have the whole week off.
    I gave my students a reading log to keep track of their independent reading during the week. I also let my students check out two books from our classroom library for reading. I will probably reward the students who bring back the reading log, but will not give consequences to the students who do not.

6. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Nov 21, 2009

I teach H.S., but I don't have anything due the day they get back from break. I do let them know what will be due a day or so after they return (usually novel reading assignments) so that they can work on it over break if they have time/ want to get ahead.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 21, 2009

Yikes! Whose bright idea was that?
    :eek:

8. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Nov 22, 2009

Kcjo it could be worse, they normally do it after the Christmas break (two weeks) and scores are normally lower than they actually would be if the students were tested without as large of a break.

9. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Nov 22, 2009

No Homework!!!! I wouldn't want my kids to have to worry about it over a vacation. As for weekend HW, I give one math worksheet (usually odd only). I can't say you don't need to practice "this" skill because it landed on Friday. But that is the ONLY weekend HW I give.

10. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Nov 23, 2009

Well we don't have this week off so I did give out my usual homework assignments, but instead of it being due on the day before break, it is due the Monday we come back. I haven't had any complaints about having homework over the break.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2009

As a parent, I would never complain about something like this to the teacher.

But my (adult) family and friends would get an earful.