Homework during the holiday

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bumble, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Nov 19, 2009

I was wondering if it is acceptable to send homework home over the Thanksgiving holiday. Who here assigns homework over holidays? I feel bad adding more stress on families if they are traveling around. What are your thoughts? I'm writing my lesson plans for next week. Thanks in advance!

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2009

I don't send it home over the holidays. I work them so hard throughout the year, they just need to be kids and spend time with their families. I certainly don't want to do work over the holidays!

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2009

I always did, but the homework assignment was lighthearted and easy and generally fun. I taught middle school, so the assignment usually had something to do with calculating the cost or weight of something on the dinner table, or using geometry principles to draw out the way the dishes were arranged on the table or how the furniture was re-arranged to accomodate a larger than usual number of people.

5. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Nov 19, 2009

I want my students to write every night, so they will just be writing. They've actually improved a lot since September.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2009

I don't.

I'm pretty good about assigning homework just about every night, starting on the very first day.

Thanksgiving is all about family. They can take the 4 day weekend with nothing to do for my class and pick it back up on Monday.... life will go on without math homework.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2009

Bumble, you teach younger kids. My objective was more to keep them from completely brain dumping over the holidays. The projects I assigned would typically take 20-30 minutes. Knowing how my own family works over the holidays, I figure by saturday or sunday, they would have time to do it. Plus, I would always accept projects that looked rushed because it was over a holiday. Most of my students said the projects were kinda fun, so I didn't feel guilty.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2009

Oh, and considering the demographic I taught, most of my students were left home alone while their parent or parents worked. I know it' snot a popular idea, but with all the variables taken into consideration, it was good for my particular students.

9. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2009

My students have to read five chapters of Huck Finn over the break, but they are off for the whole week. That's it for homework in my LA class.

10. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Nov 19, 2009

At my school we are instructed not to assign homework over vacations because that is a time for students to relax and enjoy their families. I figure they work hard enough during the rest of the year so why not give them a break.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2009

I'll give homework on Monday and Tuesday. We have a 1/2 day on Wednesday. I'll assign NO homework over the 4 day Thanksgiving weekend. (How much work are teachers doing over that weekend- I don't expect from my kids what I don't demand of myself.)

12. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Nov 19, 2009

My students are like mmswm's... I give holiday homework packets with a few science, math and reading pages and students can elect to do a variety of activities. If they meet the minimum amount of work and return the packet by the second day we get back, I bring them dessert and let them have Lunch Bunch. As long as they are intrigued by the reward, I usually get about 50% of my class to do the packet.

13. janlee

janlee Devotee

Nov 19, 2009

I personally feel it is in bad taste to give assignments over the Thanksgiving holiday. Is it really necessary to give work when only two days of school will be missed? Do teachers make sure their students have assignments if they miss snow days, or other related weather days? How about if the heat is out. Why can't we allow this time for families to get together without the thoughts "I have to hurry home and finish my work". And how many of you will honestly read each and every paper you assign? Will you truly edit them or just put check marks? From past posts many teachers say they just "look and see if the work is done". Even if you consider the work "fun packets" there are students who feel that they must complete the work.

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 19, 2009

We have the whole week off next week. My students have to read a two chapters in a book.

15. TheNumberOne

TheNumberOne Rookie

Nov 19, 2009

I do not assign my regent students homework, just my honor students - and for them, it's optional and extra credit.

My honor students (since I teach ELA) are to write one entry in their journal about the highlight of their Thanksgiving. Most of my honor students complete the assignment, and really write alot!

Janlee, I read every assignment and actually correct/edit it as well. Teachers that just check to make sure it's done deserve a slap on the hand! Why assign a lesson enforcer and not check to make sure they understand? It defeats the purpose.

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2009

Janlee...I read every project. I had to considering I used their projects in continuation project the next week. For example:

Lets say the project was create a floor plan of the common areas of their house/appt, including the location of furniture, then create another one the reflects any changes made to accommodate extra guests. We would then take those floor plans and using the basic shapes and demensions, determine if the furniture had been arranged for maximum space/seating. I had interior design software they got to play with, and of course, the learning objective was measurement and space awareness.

While there were groans when I announced that there would be work to do, I never got a single complaint after I explained what was to be done. One thing to note. I worked in a VERY rough urban school. Most of my students spent holidays with somebody other than their (usually single) mother (who was working three jobs to keep them fed). The holiday meal itself was frequently a multi-family affair (moms, sisters, grandmas, aunts, ect), so the furniture thing was a favorite project.

17. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 19, 2009

I personally think (for primary in elementary school) that there just isn't a reason to do it. It is a family time, and they won't "lose" any skills by not using them for 2 days. (We don't get a week off.) I know I don't want to spend 20 minutes a night over my Thanksgiving doing school work.

Each teacher though, has to choose for herself (or himself) based on what she teaches, the age group, and other variables that simply don't compare. Comparing honors LA in high school to 1st grade is like comparing elephants and golf balls -- it is just very nonsequitur.

18. TheNumberOne

TheNumberOne Rookie

Nov 19, 2009

RainStorm, you'd be surprised. I have an inclusion group - and these students can be taught proper punctuation usage one day, and the next day, will forget what a comma is! So having them using skills at least once a day is great, and helps them remember. Now flooding them with work isn't what I mean, but at least providing them with a review is good - which are optional, for my students.

19. Katieladybug

Katieladybug Companion

Nov 19, 2009

I do not because they generally do not complete their normal homework and I do not want the stress of trying to collect it. I do ask them to read and write but don't have anything for them to turn in.

20. TheNumberOne

TheNumberOne Rookie

Nov 19, 2009

Considering you're a special education teacher, that's expected.

Have you had any ideas to spice it up, to intrigue them?

Like "The Word Turkey," or something of the like.

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 19, 2009

As a parent, I vote NO. Our family is leaving on Wednesday immediately after school to go to Colorado to visit family. We will return Sunday afternoon, just in time to do some quick laundry and make sure the house is still standing. Yes, we have 5 hours in the car, but homework is just not something that I want to have to worry about. I don't care if it's a "fun" packet. It's time for family, and time for relaxing. I don't plan on thinking one iota about school from 2:05 Wednesday, to 7:45 Monday morning.

But that's me, and mm is right-it depends on the students.

22. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2009

No, I don't. All of my students work really hard and a lot of them travel during the Thankgiving weekend. It takes them a long time to do homework, even if its 10 questions, and they need help from their parents a lot of the time. They need to relax :)

23. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Nov 20, 2009

I don't assign homework over the holidays; however, if I did, the ones that would complete the assignment are the ones that don't necessarily need the homework! They are the ones understanding everything anyways. My own children are going to be expected to still read.

24. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Nov 20, 2009

I don't usually give homework over the thanksgiving break because we will have had parent/teacher conferences the Monday and Tuesday before that. Often students end up doing a great deal of make-up work after those conferences, so I try not to add anything else on.

25. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Nov 20, 2009

No. I hate it when my kids have homework over the weekend too!

26. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 20, 2009

I am not a parent but having been a student not but 4yrs ago we would always travel 3hrs away to visit family who we never get to see and would not get back home until prob late that sunday night before the monday back to school. Homework was never required for me and I literly would not have had time to do it. Family comes first no matter the break. It is hard enough trying to find the time during the year to go visit family. I know it always was for my parents. I know this is a little off topic, but I think that may be why some parents homeschool the kids. I mean when you think about it you won't always have your family one day they will leave this earth, but you will always have math,science, english, history.

27. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 20, 2009

NO HOMEWORK-- Holidays are for family.

28. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 20, 2009

:agreed:

29. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2009

I don't assign homework on weekends or holidays. My philosophy for my class is that I work them hard enough during the week and we get very little down time or recess so they need quality family time when we are off.

30. janlee

janlee Devotee

Nov 20, 2009

I agree 100%

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2009

My vote is also for no homework over holidays.

32. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Nov 20, 2009

I decided not to give homework. We are required to assign homework Monday-Friday because of our low test scores. I hope my P doesn't say anything about it.

33. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 20, 2009

If your P gives you gruff, assign something that will take two seconds and could be done on the way back to school monday. Something like, "What was the weight of your faimily's turkey (feel free to guess)? How many people ate dinner with you? If the turkey was divided evenly, how much would each person get? (you may use a calculator)" Then make it worth almost nothing. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Just to point out...if I was teaching 4th grade, I wouldn't have assigned any homework either.

34. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2009

When I was a teacher before being a parent, I always assigned homework. Now that I have children, I would never assign it over a holiday.

35. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Nov 20, 2009

I'll be assigning homework to my math students over break.

Tuesday is their last day of classes, and I'll be teaching a new math lesson that day. They'll have problems to do for homework so they can practice on their own, just like I would assign any other day.

36. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2009

I would not even consider assigning homework due upon returning from Thanksgiving break.

37. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 20, 2009

I would think that would be very self-defeating -- that it would ultimately just make more work and reteaching for you. But if it works for you, that is great.

38. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2009

I try to complete my chapters or units before any long breaks so hw is not an issue. I did assign HW ( a large project ) that they had 4 weeks to complete, one of which was fall break. No holiday affiliation.

39. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 21, 2009

I am the one who would have to supervise homework over the vacation. I would do it, if he had any. But, no matter what, I incorporate learning into every day activities. I suspect the families that would oversee that the homework get done, are the ones who enrich and enhance learning anyway. So, please don't send any homework. I will be cooking Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday and Friday for two different groups of relatives. It will take me a day to get all the dishes and misc. cleaned up and put away. Then, there is the visiting, and more cooking because people eat every day. And I will have to clean up after everyone leaves. So, I will keep the kids busy with how many plates at the table/fold the towells so they fit on the shelf/how heavy a basket of dirty clothes can you carry/taking care of the dog/how may leftovers can you store in the refrigerator/counting how many people want pumpkin pie/how many want apple pie/will we have enough hot water to take showers, do laundry, bath the dog?

So, please, no homework.

40. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Nov 21, 2009

I know that we personally travel every year on Thanksgiving to see family, although we won't this year due to our budget. Our break is only four days, as we have to go to school through Wednesday. Homework would be a true hardship and probably would not get done, even though my husband and I are generally very strict about it.

Although one possibility would be doing it in the car, my kid gets carsick very easily. There is just no time when we travel - we make the most of our short break.

41. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Nov 21, 2009

I don't assign homework except for special projects or tests anyway..but if I did..I'd not over breaks.