Homework at open house?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, Aug 20, 2008.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2008

I have been thinking (scary thought, I know!)...

I think I want to assign a homework assignment on Thursday at our open house that will be due Monday, our first day.

How upset will kids/parents be? Do you think they will do it?

The assignment:
    They will be given an odd shaped piece of construction paper. They must decorate this paper to make it represent them.

On Monday, we will take all of the pieces and assemble them (it will fit together like a puzzle). I will make a BB that says "We're a perfect fit!" for the hallway.

So, again, do you think people would be upset with a homework assignment before school even starts and do you think they will do it?

And, in case someone asks "what if they don't come", yes, it is only an open house. But, we have really good turnouts. Last year all of 5th grade had a 100% turn out. I

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 20, 2008

I give an assignment at open house. Most did it (all but 2 and they are the two that didn't return their reader).

4. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Aug 20, 2008

I don't think this would be a big issue at all. I think it's a great idea. I know my CT gave an assignment at Meet the Teacher Night this year; it was similiar to your idea.

My only question would be what will the penalty be if a student doesn't complete the assignment?

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 20, 2008

I think it's a cute idea.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2008

They would have to color it or something or I'd have a huge piece missing! I will explain it to them a bit and also staple directions to it. I am not going to tell them what we are doing with each piece, so I hope they are excite and curious about it! I might even do mine in advance.

7. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Aug 20, 2008

DO it. They are excited for school to start. Tell the kids that don't show, that (on the first day of school) they can decorate them that night and return them the next day to be the finishing piece to the puzzle. And then you will be complete.

8. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Aug 20, 2008

Then I definitely think you should do this. I was thinking you were going to require it to be done that night regardless... not sure where my brain was :blush:

9. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 21, 2008

Cute idea! I say do it.

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2008

What a cute idea!!

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 21, 2008

Post a picture! :)

12. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 21, 2008

I think you could definitely do it. Is attendance at open house usually 100% at your school? If you have a plan for the kids who don't show up that night (taking it home for homework the next night), I'd say go for it! :)