Homework Assignments Not Being Completed

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dr.gator, Oct 31, 2014.

1. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Oct 31, 2014

I teach third grade in a school that is a very good sampling of all socioeconomic backgrounds, ethnic groups and so forth. I struggle on a day to day basis to get homework back completed and/or completed correctly. It isn't one specific group either. It could be any given kid on any given day. The homework is a review of the skill being taught in the classroom for that specific day. The child should be able to do the work in a short period of time, have it checked by the adult watching them in the afternoon, and return it the next day. Every day there seems to be several kids who just don't do the homework or does it, but does it in such a rush that it is all wrong. I have preached and preached, but nothing seems to help. Where am I going wrong? Our homework policy was discussed at Open House and I had a good turn out of parents too! Plus communication with parents is very high. Any suggestions welcome!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2014

If homework is a requirement at your school, it may be time to begin consequences. I am not a fan of losing recess (if there are any Fl schools that still have recess!). However, I have been known to give free time play inside to students who have completed homework while the non-conformists do their homework in class.

4. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Oct 31, 2014

We do have recess. It is state law that all students participate in some physical activity for 30 minutes a day. I am punishing, but see no effect. Or I should say I haven't found the right punishment. We can deny kids the right to go on a fieldtrip. We have one coming up next month. I have just pulled out the guns and sent home a message to parent in regards to this. We will see if that works. I might just have to be the meanie and leave some kids behind.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 31, 2014

HOmework at that age has more to do with the parents than the student. Can you make the parent sit out Monday Night football?

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 31, 2014

I understand the frustration with homework not being done at all, but the not being done correctly I have issue with. It doesn't matter if you taught the skill in class and they practiced in class. There will be kids who can do something in class but lose it by homework time. That will vary by what is being taught.

I'm not saying none are rushing to get the work done, but to lump all kids not completing homework correctly into being a behavior problem concerns me.

Maybe positives will work better than negatives since you said your punishments haven't worked and are looking for another punishment.

How do you go over homework? Maybe tally points and a special prize such as having lunch with teacher will help kids get the homework done and help those who do rush. Tally points could be by kids offering answers and showing work to the class or other methods you find that might work for you.

Then there are those students who don't need the practice and all you expect from them is compliance. The kids that don't buy into that will always be a thorn in your side.

7. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Oct 31, 2014

I would love to be able to do this!!!:lol: Unfortunately we all know that's not an option.

I do appreciate everyone's replies. I have spoken with our administration and they are supportive of the decisions being made. I love the tally points and may try to weave that in to some of next week's discussions.

Thanks for your help!

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 31, 2014

Another thought with tally points so those that didn't understand or didn't get answers correct may be to allow those who didn't get the right answer to have a way to earn points also such as explaining what they were thinking or what confused them.

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 31, 2014

A student pointing out where they are confused....very very very powerful.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 31, 2014

This is super high maintenance, but you could pull those who rush and don't get answers correct into a small group for very boring remedial 'help'. Explain that their homework is their chance to show you they can do the skill on their own, and you're just not seeing that. So now they have to do really boring practice worksheets while those that showed they can do it on their own get to do a higher level thinking project. I wouldn't do this all the time, but maybe a few times would sting enough that others would start taking it seriously?

These ideas always sound great written down, but it's not always easy to implement.

11. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Oct 31, 2014

Positive reinforcements work wonders. My CT and I had an arrangement where if a kid did their homework every day for a week, they ate lunch with us in the room the following Monday. Granted, I think there will always be kids who just forget or don't do it for some other reason, but it was really obvious how proud they were of themselves when they got to eat lunch with us. But something like points or prizes at the end of a certain amount of time might also be helpful (since lunch is precious quiet time haha). And seconding what everyone else said about finding out what parts are confusing the kids who are doing homework incorrectly -- are the questions worded strangely? Have they just not mastered the concept as well as you thought? Lots of little things can cause kids to get confused on homework, and it may not necessarily be that they rushed through it.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 31, 2014

For me, homework just wasn't worth the battle, so I stopped giving it. My students just have to read every night. There is so much controversy about homework anyway, and whether or not it is even effective at the elementary level. I send it home when I see the need. For example, I have a few students who continue to struggle with 2-digit addition. If I sent homework home for the whole class it would just be "busy work" because they have the skills down. Instead, I just send an email or write a note to those few parents and say, "Danny could benefit from some extra math practice so I'm sending a worksheet home tonight."

I very rarely have parents ask for more homework. Many actually thank me, because they don't have to fight the homework battle with their child every night.