Homework assignment: Terrorist Attack

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by bandnerdtx, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 4, 2010

:hijack: (Can you hijack a thread you started... LOL)

Anyway, this made me think of a special that aired on ABC a few weeks ago called Mind of a Psychopath. It's all about how the brains of mass murders are physically different from the rest of us, but they also show that just because you have a brain like that, it doesn't mean you're going to kill. Very interesting series. We showed it to our science classes all four segments. They also talk about Chris Benoit, the wrestler who murdered his wife and son a few years ago. They talk about how all the concussions he suffered gave him such severe brain damage that it might have actually caused him to murder.

2. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Sep 4, 2010

True, and one of those students could have been sitting in her classroom during this very lesson.

3. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

Interesting read and discussion here.

I wonder what standards this assignment was supposed to fulfill?

I wonder if all students need to think like Hitler to understand how to stop a future Hitler, if all students need to think like a slave owner to understand and stop future slavery, if all students need to think like a terrorist to stop a terrorist? I think the concept we have to understand them to stop them is not an effective rationale for this assignment. It might be effective for the CIA agent or the FBI agent, but not everyone is suited for those agencies. Thus, they have a screening entry procedure. To assume all students should have this thought process to have an understanding of terrorism and to assume that all students could use this information to stop terrorism is standing on a thin, lame thread at the very best.

Like Tiffany L and chemteacher and Alice, I have raised a young woman in a society that did not always walk in step with our values. She did not network online, nor did she play video games that use violence as its vehicle. Whether or not you agree with my values, you would need to know that she is my daughter on loan to a teacher in a classroom. As such, I have a reasonable expectation that the adults at a school would use good discretion and common sense when trying to meet the stated standards for a class.

Additionally, I am not in the law enforcement field. I do not need to understand how a terrorist thinks to stop him. I need to know his/her beliefs and tenets that are the basis of his actions. I need to know that those beliefs create actions that we in our community find untenable. I never want to get to the place where I understand how the senseless murder of someone can be considered, plotted or effected. Ever. Nor do I want my daughter or any other student exposed to that understanding. The teacher in question was foolish at the very least. I believe she was reckless. I believe she placed her students in a position that was lose/lose. I don't have to experience her class to understand her. She lacks wisdom. Whether or not that renders her unfit for the school is their decision. At my school, she would be asked to step down. At her school, she was retained. Since I don't pay taxes in Australia, I have not a voice there.

Finally, if the history teacher wants to equate war with 9/11, they are mistaken. Any loss of innocent life is sad, whether through murder, disease, car accident or war. We mourn all life that is lost.
    However, to say that a patriotic light is not appropriate because in war people lost lives is not equal to the loss of lives in 9/11. Measure the intent. (Isn't that how this thread started? We have to measure the intent of a terrorist to understand him. In effect, that is the defense of the assignment. If that is the case, the intent of war is to protect the citizenry. The intent of terrorism is to inflict terror.) History, in my view and opinion, needs to be taught from the long range overview, not the short range bandwagon approach.

I mean no disrespect to those with variant views. However, put me down in the column of those who love this country and appreciate all the freedoms afforded me here. (including the right to an opinion and the right to freely share opinions with others)

4. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Sep 4, 2010

My response was to another response asking if there was a class in which this assignment would be acceptable. In my previous post, I too, mentioned the FBI. I also stated that this would not be acceptable for 15 year olds.

5. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

Yes, I know you did.:)
    I was merely tying together the previous responses to make the point that the rationale justifying the assignment was faulty. :cool:

6. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Sep 4, 2010

Oh ok. I thought I had somehow suggested that it was an appropriate assignment for that class.

No worries :)

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 4, 2010

The overall objective of the assignment was to make kids look at certain situations (ie, terrorist attacks) from a viewpoint other than their own. Learning to think like a terrorist in order to stop the terrorist is one application of this objective, but there are others.

First and foremost, I think the teacher might have been trying to get her students to understand why terrorists feel their actions and attacks are justified.

We train some of our military men to be expert marksmen and sharpshooters. We call them snipers, but the people they target and kill call them assassins. It's all a matter of perspective, which is what I think (and hope) the teacher was trying to lead her students to realize. We can't know if that is true or not, of course, unless the teacher or the school gives an official clarification.

You have the right to feel that way and follow through on it by objecting to the assignment and refusing to allow your daughter to participate in it, just as the parents of the child profiled in the article did.

Other parents apparently did not object to the assignment as strenuously and allowed their children to do it. Does that mean they love their children less than you do or do not devote as much time and effort into "raising them right" as yourself? I don't think so and I believe it is unfair to even hint at such an implication.

What if the war is not justified in the minds of many, such as our current conflict in Iraq? Are we still supposed to portray it in a patriotic light? I'm sure many of the Iraqi citizens view the military effort as an act of aggression rather than an attempt to stabilize their country and create a working democracy. Again, it is a matter of perspective.

I'm glad you mean no disrespect to those with "variant views", however, your next statement seems to imply those with variant views do not love this country or appreciate all the freedoms afforded them here. While it may not have been your intention, such an implication does sound rather disrespectful.

8. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Sep 4, 2010

the person who is right is the one who wins the war. they are the one who write the history books.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2010

There are history books written by many groups with many points of view...There are plenty of NeoNazis who think Hitler was right. Doesn't make it so.

10. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Sep 4, 2010

Ok, so Saying us Americans didn't terrorize to acquire this land? We killed off all the buffalo just so Native Americans wouldn't have any food. We made them move to places where pretty much nothing could survive. Is what we did right? Its all about perspective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.