Homework and Morning Routine

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Evergreen, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Evergreen

Evergreen Rookie

Jun 9, 2016

It will be my first time teaching first grade next year and I am also moving private to public. I am really excited!

Experienced first grade teachers: would you mind telling me about what your morning routine entails (do you have a meeting, warm-up, etc.)?

Also, can you please tell me about the homework you give out?

Thanks in advance! :)

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 13, 2016

I have students who start coming in around 7:15 until the bell rings at 8:00. So I start my day with morning rotations. Each table has a different objective. One table shops for new books and reads. One table does a journal page, one table works on a worksheet morning work activity and one group does xtramath on the computers. After the bell rings we watch announcements then I do a very quick morning meeting. I go over the daily schedule and sing happy birthday or do a group thinking activity or interactive writing editing.
    My team has a monthly calendar for homework and the students turn it in at the end of the month. I do not like it at all. The journal is so messy and it really depends on the parents helping the student. So I found a weekly homework packet on TpT. I started using it at the end of the year and LOVED it so much more. Each day ask them to record their reading. Then it is one day math, one day reading, one day writing, one day phonics turn in on Friday. It is called First Grade Homework by Jessica Tobin. I hope that helps!

otterpop likes this.
  4. Evergreen

Evergreen Rookie

Jun 14, 2016

This is so helpful, thank you! I don't know my schedule or whether my curriculum will allow time for morning work/a meeting (I am hoping to get these details soon), but if so I love the idea of the rotations!

I also checked out that homework packet and I like its structure. In that case, do you grade homework over the weekends? (In my current school, we collected HW daily.) What action do you take if a student doesn't hand in their HW folder on a Friday? Thanks again!

5. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 14, 2016

When I did these packets toward the end of the year I passed them out on Monday and collected them on Friday. I surveyed my parents and a few suggested I send it home on Friday and return it on Friday. This way if they had sports or other commitments they could do a little on the weekend. So I may do that next year. Of course with this system or the monthly system that my team designed, there is always students who do not do it. I feel at this age, it is really the parents responsibility to help them. So there isn't a consequence. But each week I continue to make them a pack and write notes of encouragement to guide them to do some rather than none.
    I think this next school year at our curriculum/open house night I will talk about homework and that it is important to do it and let parents know that there is no grade book I am putting their scores into but rather that they are teaching their child to take school seriously. If homework takes more than 20 minutes then they should just put it to the side etc.

6. Evergreen

Evergreen Rookie

Jun 14, 2016

Thanks again for the information! I am also reluctant to penalize lower elementary school students for missing homework. I think you are framing it in an effective way to parents.

7. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jun 21, 2016

Hi! Thought I'd chime in. My first graders can only come into the classroom 10 minutes before the bell, so we don't have as much open time as the above poster. I lay a sheet of morning work on their desk and after they finish it, they can shop for books. I love this time. After they start reading more, they will read books to each other, talk about their books, recommend books to each other, or come up to me to tell me some cool fact they just read about. It is one of my favorite parts of the day.

Morning Meeting is about a half hour after the bell. We read the morning message, go over the schedule, sometimes do some sharing and then have read aloud. I usually have a featured author or a theme that we read from. I launch into my language arts or handwriting lesson right from morning meeting and then we go about our day.

I am going to try something new with homework this year. Our math series has two sheets of homework each night, so that is non-negotiable. But I am going to add daily reading homework. On Monday, they are to review their sight word set. On Tuesday, they will read their decodable reader for the week. On Wednesday, they will read a "just right" book and on Thursday they have free choice, including a parent reading to them. We'll see how it goes!

8. Evergreen

Evergreen Rookie

Jun 22, 2016

Thanks for your reply! A warmup worksheet and then independent reading/book shopping is similar to what I did in 2nd grade, so it's nice to know it can be used effectively for 1st too. I like that you find time to fit in a meeting, even if it's not the first thing you do.

I also like the variety in your literacy homework. I'm sure that'll keep it fresh for students.

9. teacher mama

teacher mama Rookie

Jul 7, 2016

Welcome to first grade! I also use a "warm up" sheet from a pack I purchased on TPT from Second Story Window. I spend the first month of school completing it with them then they begin doing it on their own. I love that it reviews SO many skills. When they finish they read/book shop. For homework, we have a math worksheet from our purchased curriculum, write spelling words, and read a book of their choice. We use Accelerated Reader so its usually a book they can test on.

10. teacher mama

teacher mama Rookie

Jul 7, 2016

I would like to know more about your morning meeting. This is something I would like to implement this year. Maybe something with singing/movement?? Our first 2 and a half hours are reading block and I would love to get them up and moving in the morning!

11. Evergreen

Evergreen Rookie

Jul 9, 2016

Thanks teacher mama! I like the look of the Second Story Window morning work. Would you say that most students are able to read the instructions and begin these sheets independently after you review it with them the first month?

12. teacher mama

teacher mama Rookie

Jul 9, 2016

Yes! There are often some things on the sheet we haven't covered yet, but I tell them to skip those and I do a quick teach/complete together as we go over the sheet each morning. I like this because it gives them some exposure to concepts we will be covering in the future and makes it easier for them to understand when we dive deeper into the content.