Homework Accountability

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by RitaFirstGrade, Jun 14, 2006.

1. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Jun 14, 2006

I teach first grade and we have Saxon Math, so kids have simple review homework each night, Monday-Thursday. My goal for next year is to come up with something to help motivate the kids and parents to get this done. This year, I kept track of homework turned in by each child on a clipboard. I gave a "free homework" pass when 10 in a row were turned in. I still had the same two or three kids not turn in their homework. I tried sending home a notice about it every time they forgot to do their homework, but I wasn't consistent with it. Next year I was thinking of calling home every time homework is forgotten. Maybe calling and bugging parents will get them to do it???????????

So my questions are:

Is their something I can do to motivate the kids to do math homework?

Do you think it is appropriate to call parents every time they forget?
    (even if it is 5 days ina row)

3. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2006

I personally wouldn't call the parents every time they forget. They may get very angry (hey it may work though???) I might send home a note that they have to sign first and then call to discuss the problem. But these kids are only first graders and if their parents do not help them then they will not do it.

Could you pair up with an older grade (4th or 5th) and have a buddy time. The ones who have completed their homework could do games or read books and the ones who have not finished could get tutored once a week by the "buddy".

Of course time will be an issue but it may help the kids start trying to do it at home. Or have a homework party...if they have it done give them 30 min. of something (free draw, play dough, etc.) and the ones who haven't need to finish. Sorta sounds harsh but they need to learn they have to finish their homework.

4. Carla

Carla Companion

Jun 14, 2006

Our school has had a big dilemma with homework. We are a poverty school. 95% free/reduced lunch. If you read anything from Ruby Payne she says that you can't hold the kids responsible if they don't have anyone at home to help. Is that the case here? I finally decided it isn't the kids fault if they don't have anyone at home to make them do their homework. Yes, they need to be more responsible themselves, but come on. I have tried all the incentives and punishments I can. I've called parents and they are like, "I didn't know he had homework. He told me he didn't have any." They can't use that with me b/c I send home a daily homework folder with their assignments. But the phone calls I have made hasn't done any good.

5. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2006

I reward kids from time to time for doing it but never punish the ones who don't. I feel like in first grade its more of the parents responisibilty than the kids. I have a friend who makes her kids do it during recess if its not done at home. I have thought about doing that but I don't take a grade on homework so I didn't feel like it. I thought they needed to run and play more. just my opinion :)

6. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Jun 14, 2006

I agree that it is often the parent's fault. That is one reason I thought it would be beneficial to call the parents and bug them enough until they start helping! Also, this homework is review and isn't hard for the kids. I knwo that the ones who forget it all the time COULD do it without parent assistance. That is why I want to think of something that will help motivate them to do it on their own. They do need to learn about responsiblity and they are capable of being repsonsible.

7. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2006

I know the teachers in my school who make them do it at recess feel its successful. Maybe try that----that way you aren't having to come up with something "new" and they are missing out on something fun so maybe next time they will want to do it at home next time. :) Good Luck!!

8. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Jun 14, 2006

I tried taking recess as well. They missed the first 10 minutes of last recess (30 minute recess) every time they forgot. This way they still got time to run and play, which I feel is important. I still had the same few kids forget their homework consistently.

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2006

I know they are only in first grade, but I think I would make them do the work during recess...not just for 10 minutes, but until it is finished. They do need to learn responsibility, especially at the end of the year. If not recess, maybe they could miss some free time or something else fun until it is done? At least for some, this would probably straighten the problem out.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 14, 2006

I wouldn't call the parents. At this young age, I also wouldn't do anything punitive. A simple sticker chart might work. When I taught third, they were motivated simply by letting them give themselves a tiny sticker each morning when they brought their assignment in. They watched out for each other, too, to make sure nobody claimed a sticker without having the assignment!

11. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Jun 14, 2006

TeacherC, I do have them stay in until it is finished. It never takes mroe than 10-15 minutes. It really is a simple review page.

12. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2006

I think its just one of those things-some kids will do it and some won't! Its always the same ones in my class too! Sad to say but I just ended up giving up on the homework for those kids...what else can you do? The buddy thing would be neat to do though-may have to try it.

13. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jun 14, 2006

I never did my homework. I just didn't. Like hanvan said, for some kids, nothing would work. My fourth grade teacher made me bring it to her desk every day right after lunch, when she walked in (she was an afternoon teacher), and I still didn't do it. So I stayed in at recess. I didn't care. Fifth grade, I had to get a homework sheet filled out by the teacher every day, and then get it signed by a parent AND the principal every day before class. I still didn't do it. Some kids are just like that...

14. MissV

MissV Companion

Jun 14, 2006

Rita, I saw " http://www.homeworkopoly.com " mentioned on a different post and am trying it out in my classroom this year. (I teach 3rd grade and I really hope it works.) I made one of my bulletin boards in my classroom a homeworkopoly board, and if a student has finished his/her homework, he/she can roll the homeworkopoly dice and move around the board.

The website I listed has all kinds of instructions/incentives for landing on the different spaces. I made the board that looks more like the monopoly board, with a schoolbus for the railroads... It was a lot of fun to make and I really hope it increases the completion of homework!