Homes Unit

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Jyools, May 6, 2008.

1. Jyools

Jyools New Member

May 6, 2008

I would like to do a project in class about homes for both animals and humans but am stuck in the planning stage. So far I've found some websites about animal homes to share with students, and we've been reading in class about homes people live in around the world. I've considered having my students build a home of their choice with partners after gathering materials.

Have any of you done projects about homes in your classes? Any suggestions/advice would be helpful. Thank you!

3. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

May 7, 2008

We did recyclable art for our homes project whe I taught 1st about 5 years ago. It was amazing what everyone made. Everything from mansions to huts....We used cardboard boxes, tissue rolls, egg cartons, etc. I made a list of items that we could use and sent it home a couple of weeks in advance and then as families had it they brought it in. Whatever we had in the corner, plus some that I supplied was fair game. Some chose to make statues, some painted, some made collages. It was AWESOME because you really got to see their artistic talent (and not so much talent) come out. We then had a little art show for the other classes when we were done.