homeroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WaterfallLady, May 15, 2011.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 15, 2011

Next year, I am getting a homeroom for the first time. They are 10-15 years old and special education students. They function about 4th grade level, with some above and some below. I need some ideas for how to run homeroom with them.

Kids come to homeroom while they wait for the rest of the school to come in the morning. It's 50 minutes. I need to take lunch count and attendence. Then, I'll have the kids half the day in the afternoon. Most of the kids won't be there the whole time. Some teachers have morning work, but I can't really count it for a grade. How do I keep them busy for 40 minutes? I know all the kids I am getting and they don't do well without every single minute structured. I am going to be working on that with them.

Ideas? Routines?

3. Srohl

Srohl Rookie

May 15, 2011

Maybe play fun and educational games? Work on puzzles? Maybe one day a week someone gets to bring something in they want to tell the group about...kinda show and tell but a different name since they are older? Maybe read a chapter out of a chapter book each day? Maybe work on a readers theater they could present to another home room?

4. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

May 16, 2011

Can you cook and work on life skills and maybe social skills?

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 16, 2011

I was thinking of that, but I won't have a stove next year. I need to find a social or life skills book to work from in the morning. Kids trickle in so they all aren't there at the same time.