Homeroom Out of Control! Help?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Strick, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Strick

Strick Rookie

Nov 15, 2013

My homeroom is absolutely out of control. They act up since they know I can't exactly give them work to do.

How do I keep them quiet and calm? Also, we do breakfast in the room (the county does free breakfast for every student), so that's also a major problem.

Ideas? :help:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2013

Why can't you give them work to do?

4. Strick

Strick Rookie

Nov 15, 2013

Because we've got to "let them be kids" and "have a social time".

5. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 15, 2013

If that's the philosophy being touted, why worry about keeping them "calm" and "quiet"? Isn't talking part of "social time"?

6. Math

Math Cohort

Nov 15, 2013

I think there is a slight difference between talking and being out of control.

7. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 15, 2013

More information is helpful.

Grade? Subject? What does admin consider "social time"? In other words, can you have a "volume" requirement. "Please use 2-inch voices."

Adding breakfast can make it more troublesome, but you don't have much control over that. But, could you teach proper meal manners? Maybe reward those who are using proper table manners (e.g. not talking with food in their mouths, keeping their desk area neat/picked up, etc.)?

What is your definition of calm and quiet? If it's social, as HistoryVA states... you won't get "quiet", but you can get "quieter".

More information, please. :)

8. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 15, 2013

Exactly. "Out of Control" is completely subjective as is "quiet." My definition of "quiet" would include not talking, which is obviously something the school wants, so where is the level now and what level are you looking to obtain?

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 15, 2013

Could you make them late for their next class by not letting them leave if they don't calm down? I think that would have an impact!

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2013

I would HATE that if I were the next teacher.

11. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Nov 15, 2013

I think you need to give them a meaningful task to do and hold them accountable. Most of your students hate to be in an out-of-control class since it doesn't feel socially safe.

The way I would start this is to declare the week before Thanksgiving, Helper Week (as if all students in every home room need to do Helper Week). Teach them how to write essays that will help people learn about the humane treatment of pets (or any topic that will interest your age group). Correct, grade essays then make their parents aware of their success as well as what they need to improve. Post the letters on a web site or submit to various humane organizations.

This blog post about an out-of-control class has some good ideas for management.

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2013

Last year for our Advisory classes, we started the year with it being a Study Hall but eventually it became free time. I would let the kids play board games, draw, do crafts or finish homework as long as they stayed in their seat and were not too loud.

But, if your students cannot control their volume or behavior, you may be forced to lead a lesson for your own sanity. It can be a town hall type discussion on a current event or you can spend the time teaching social and/or academic skills.

Or, maybe you could show films during this time.

Good luck!

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 15, 2013

Yeah, that is the point. Hopefully they would learn to not be late for the next teacher... behave in homeroom. :)

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2013

^^^ Huh? Why would the kids care if they upset their next period teacher by being late? Most of my students couldn't care less about showing up late to class, especially if they can blame it their previous teacher.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2013

No, I mean I would be very angry with the teacher who held them late. It's not my fault that the students were misbehaving in another teacher's class, but I would have to deal with the fallout. That's not fair to me.

16. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Nov 16, 2013

Music.

Play some soothing instrumental music. Tell them that if you can't hear the music they have to go to silence for five minutes.

I use Pandora from my laptop and a set of speakers, but if you have a cd player I also like rockabye baby cds.

17. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Nov 17, 2013

Our school is big on improving scores, so I give them a math problem to do and vocabulary word to define using context clues. They must turn it in, show their work; otherwise, it impacts their grades. Takes them about 15 minutes to do. Rest of time they can talk quietly.

18. Strick

Strick Rookie

Nov 21, 2013

Sorry I'm just now replying- busy week!

I've tried playing music to keep them quiet so they could listen, but they just talk over it. I tried showing a video, but they don't care either.

They leave my room in a mess, though I stress to leave the room just as they found it. It's the 7th grade, and keeping them later cuts into my planning, so I get them out as soon as I can. I will keep them until they are quiet, but I don't keep them late at all because I need that planning time.

19. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

Nov 21, 2013

As an art teacher, making kids put things away becomes pretty important. If kids are starting to leave a mess and arent cleaning up very well, I will literally block the doorway and I won't let anyone leave until they throw their trash away. My students don't want to be late to their next class because if they get a certain amount of lates they get an office detention after school, so they respond to that. Also, keep anything you don't want touched away from the homeroom kids. During homeroom, circulate the room and have them throw trash away as they make it. Circulating might make them shut up a bit, too. ;)

20. cutieturtle07

cutieturtle07 Rookie

Nov 21, 2013

How long are they supposed to have this social time? I would not allow talking at all. No talking during their social time until the kids get the picture that they need to keep it down. Give an immediate consequence when that rule is broken. They won't like it. I would have it that way for a week. Then slowly start letting them talk again. If it gets out of control, then take away their social time again.

21. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 21, 2013

How long is home room? Is this supposed to be a breakfast time? I don't understand a social period in 7th grade.

22. Strick

Strick Rookie

Nov 22, 2013

Homeroom (including breakfast) is 30 minutes. They are to eat breakfast, listen to the announcements (where they are actually quiet for), and do homework that wasn't finished.