Homemade Salad Dressings!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 23, 2015

I love salads & love them w/ ranch & Asian vinaigrettes, but I want more healthy, HOMEMADE varieties of them & others.

I'm going to try a simple dressing of:

lemon juice
    olive oil
    S & P (or other seasonings)

What are your favorite homemade salad dressings that still have as much flavor or more than the bottled store types?

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 23, 2015

I only use vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper on my salads. It is delish.

4. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jun 23, 2015

I have never been able to replicate a good homemade ranch dressing. I just make ranch dip and dip all the veggies I would put in salad in it lol. One of my go-to homemade dressings is olive oil, balsamic reduction, brown mustard, garlic, and salt and pepper. I would imagine an Asian vinaigrette would have rice oil, red wine vinegar, soy sauce, ginger paste, and garlic. I could be wrong, I've never tried to make an Asian vinaigrette. I have one from Newmans Own that's a soy ginger dressing. Very tasty but too tangy for me on a salad. I want to marinate some chicken in it and see what happens.

As far as store bought dressings, my current favorite is Litehouse Greek yogurt dressing. It tastes just like blue cheese dressing, but it contains half the fat. I'm a big fan of their feta dill flavor as well. That one almost tastes like a tzatziki sauce without the cucumber.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2015

My go-to is apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and dill with just a touch of olive oil.

Another favourite is plain yogurt mixed with white balsamic vinegar, chives, garlic, and pepper

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 23, 2015

I'm pretty sure I can create my own good verion of the Asian Viniagrette.

MrsC, I have 1/2 of that 2nd recipe you listed already. I just have to get the wht balsamic vinegar.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2015

Not sure what you're looking for, ms I...a simple vinaigrette is easy..adding mustard adds flavor dimension...low fAt and low cal, go with a lemon spritz...

8. Banana0

Banana0 Rookie

Jun 23, 2015

I also typically do balsamic, olive oil, and salt and pepper. I add red pepper flakes sometimes for a little spice. I'm also a fan of olive oil, lemon, dijon mustard, and of course salt and pepper. I pre-mix dressing in mini tupperware containers for work. Coincidentally, I was just in the store yesterday looking at salad dressing and made the mistake of reading the ingredients. They didn't look too appealing unless I want to pay $6+ for the good stuff, which I don't. I'm going to look again at Trader Joe's, but it's looking like I'm sticking to homemade for now. It only takes an extra minute or so.

Edit: I've also made a Korean style dressing with recipes I've found online that generally contain sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, etc. I'm just lazy and don't keep the right ingredients on hand most of the time. Super yummy though. :p

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 23, 2015

We have a local store that sells little bottles of flavored vinegars and oils. Just a little drizzle is great on a salad.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 23, 2015

Just looking for ANY homemade dressing ideas, not just vinaigrettes. I mean if it's a unique vinaigrette, then share!

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 23, 2015

Honey mustard
    1 cup plain Greek yogurt
    1/2 Thsp mustard
    1/2 Thsp honey
    Squirt of lemon juice

The original recipe called for mayonnaise.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 24, 2015

I tried a recipe from a friend a while ago. I THINK it was just olive oil, lemon juice, some honey (or you can use agave), salt, and pomegranate seeds. Just adjust the salt and honey to your taste. It was really good. You just whisk in the pomegranate seeds at the last minute not blend them up.